Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Previews are going to be annoying. No franchise does midnights/previews like Star Wars, and of course this will be no exception. A massive preview number isn't going to tell us jack squat about the rest of the weekend. 

Lol.  

• Like 2

I don't really agree with that. I mean if the preview number was only $25M, which is good by any normal standard, but not really for this movie, then that tells us quite a lot -- apparently not as much of a rush to see factor as we expected, and nowhere near TFA. If the preview numbers came in at $40M, though, sure it doesn't tell us TOO much about the rest of the weekend, but it would be a robust number that would certainly lead you to believe a $160M OW is within reasonable reach. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Previews are going to be annoying. No franchise does midnights/previews like Star Wars, and of course this will be no exception. A massive preview number isn't going to tell us jack squat about the rest of the weekend. 

There are some broad indicators we can use. Sub-25m... not as much initial interest as expected. 25-30m... expected. You can make arguments about whether it'll blow past 450m or not. 30-35m...indicator that interest is fairly strong. 35m+... yeah, the powah we're dealing with here is immeasurable.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

There are some broad indicators we can use. Sub-25m... not as much initial interest as expected. 25-30m... expected. You can make arguments about whether it'll blow past 450m or not. 30-35m...indicator that interest is fairly strong. 35m+... yeah, the powah we're dealing with here is immeasurable.

I will be disappointed with anything under 40M :ph34r:

I'd just like to mention that even if Rogue One does a "mere" $120m, it still has a solid chance at $400m. Just needs a 3.33x multiple, which it will probably get if the OW is that low. And while we may decry it as disappointing, I'm reasonably sure that Disney won't be weeping if it has 3 $400m+ hits and (probably) four $1b+ worldwide grossers.

And if it does something like $200m, well...I wish everyone good luck. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I'd just like to mention that even if Rogue One does a "mere" $120m, it still has a solid chance at $400m. Just needs a 3.33x multiple, which it will probably get if the OW is that low. And while we may decry it as disappointing, I'm reasonably sure that Disney won't be weeping if it has 3 $400m+ hits and (probably) four $1b+ worldwide grossers.

And if it does something like $200m, well...I wish everyone good luck. 

Anyone who considers $400M disappointing for a spin-off that won't be getting a sequel deserves to have their box office license revoked.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2