Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

8 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

But again, Disney has to know the market for this isn't or wasn't going to be anywhere near what it was for TFA.  Even the most optimistic predictions here don't have it hitting 700 million.

I just wonder if, when Disney green-lit Rogue One, they knew just how far Abrams was going to take TFA in terms of looking and feeling so much like the OT, and if they might have gone a different direction (not canceled R1, just slotted it later in the release schedule) if they had.

15 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

edit: I missed the last sentence: it was not meant in an unfriendly way, only a question if it is a possibility that something might influence your POV, not as a planed thing. Or if the experience with FB let you assume to compare with the same details / %.... 

Probably my mistake

I suspected that it wasn't meant to be intentional but it seemed a little offensive..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Hades said:

Disney should stop with the annual Star Wars releases. Fatigue will soon start setting in. They need to build anticipation, a 2 year gap between films at least. Its only a matter of time before certain Marvel and DC films start making more money in certain key markets and even the US.

It is kind of funny that people are already talking about fatigue. So for people who loves movies set in space, we now have an annual Star Wars, an occasional Star Trek movie, an occasional Guardians of the Galaxy movie and an occasional Alien movie - thats it. Just in 2016, 7 superhero movies have been released.

Edited by Maitch
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Most of them? I mean, most other studios make more low to mid budget movies than blockbusters.

The big / established studios... nope

acc. BOM budgets:

example WB (average spening for e.g. TV advertising over all other studios last year, actual data TalismanRing should have at hand I guess)

BvS $250m

SS $175m

FB $180m

The Legend ofTarzan $180m

the 3 middle big budgets:

Sully $60m, Accountant $44m, Storks $70m

The rest made seemingly too less, no budget filled in

Their WB / NL thing did middle to low level budgets.

• Like 2

Just now, terrestrial said:

The big / established studios... nope

acc. BOM budgets:

example WB (average spening for e.g. TV advertising over all other studios last year, actual data TalismanRing should have at hand I guess)

BvS $250m

SS $175m

FB $180m

The Legend ofTarzan $180m

the 3 middle big budgets:

Sully $60m, Accountant $44m, Storks $70m

The rest made seemingly too less, no budget filled in

Their WB / NL thing did middle to low level budgets.

WB and New Line are practically the same company. The big budget movies made for them 2.6 billion usd and the low to mid budget movies made for them 1.6 billion usd.

• Like 1

Just now, YSLDC said:

WB and New Line are practically the same company. The big budget movies made for them 2.6 billion usd and the low to mid budget movies made for them 1.6 billion usd.

But they needed to do more promotion,.. people involved to distribute the low to middle levels than theoretically for the big ones in relation (not $1 to $1), and IMHO $1b difference os reason enough to stay with the big budgets Plus the big budgets are, what they need to sell later on ww e.g. the TV rights for as good as possible money. And that are the films getting additional money per merchandise = often enough the main income. The average low budget film's money making potential is usually way more limited.

No studio will give up on its franchises for no reason, and I am pretty sure every one of the small studios / distributer would be more than happy to take over / get their hands on the constant earning franchises