John Marston

Wednesday Box Office - (Asgard pg 17) R1 about 15, Sing 11, Ass 4.5, Pass 4.1, Moana 2.2

After X-men Apocalypse, Magnificient 7 and Passengers I think we have confirmation that JLaw and Pratt aren't huge draws.

The have about the same pull as Denzel or Tom Hanks.

Put them in your movie and you're almost assured to get a 20+ m opening weekend.

(except for Inferno) :kitschjob:

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Something tells me Tom Rothman's reign at Sony isn't long for this world much longer.

#Justice4AmazingAmyPascal

The big hits Sony had this year were thanks to Rothman. The 2 big misses, Ghostbusters and Passengers were both Amy Pascal projects. Passengers was finally greenlighted at a lower budget by Rothman but it was a Pascal originated project.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lilmac said:

It's amazing how the tide turns for celebs if they get a string of sucky movies. Of course part of the decline in JLaw's stature is hearing her quirky/whimsical shtick over and over again but I guarantee that if her last 5 movies were as good as say, Silver Lining Playbook, she would still be America's Sweetheart. Cost of doing business in the entertainment world I guess. She'd be wise to note that the loyalty and love she garners correlates to her Rotten Tomatoes scores. 

Tide turn is inevitable for everyone who's in the spotlight too much for too long. What matters is how one bounces back and I think in her case that would be picking better projects and dropping no-filter shtick. Some things are just way too stupid to say out loud like that interview where she was re-telling how her ass disrespected some obscure religious cult. It's not political incorrectness that's the problem here but that she had to know how stupid that story was and how crass her acting was and that nothing good publicity-wise would come out of it. She's in this business long enough, she should have spider-sense for do's and dont's by now. I mean, Pratt's face said it all. 

It's not about "stifling who she is" but that she should tone it down since the shtick has overstayed its welcome. The trick is in reinventing oneself. She was no-filter golden girl which worked before The Fappening. Than she tried to be no-filter fire and brimstone SJW. That didn't work. Now she's back to no-filter anything-goes. Just tone it down. 

Edited by Valonqar

12 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tele said:

I have this amazing technique for not hating on actors or actresses, and I'll share it with you for the low, low price of only $14.99.

Ready?

Don't read or watch entertainment fluff pieces or gossip. They're either ridiculously building someone up or tearing them down. It's just awful.

In terms of paychecks, I think this is where a lot of people get a touch hypocritical because you're either thinking about overall budgets or franchises. First of all, no one gets a option for a cut of the gross unless you're a huge A-lister. So taking a backend deal isn't much of an option for most. Secondly, I seriously question whether most of you would turn down a guaranteed paycheck for a far more nebulous payday somewhere down the road. If it's an incredible passion project, perhaps. Or if you want to roll the dice with a potentially huge blockbuster. But it's just that: a roll of the dice. I can't fault anyone for choosing to be paid up front. 

You hate Michelle Monaghan. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

If anyone's career is certain to be hurt by Passengers, it's director Morten Tyldum, just because he's obviously not getting a gig like this ever again.

Unfortunate. He did a pretty good job with the first 2 acts. If the script had been better for the third act, I would have said the film was a solid 8/10

• Like 1

I have no secrets about how not to hate actors and actresses, I just don't hate them, but I don't admire them, I just don't care, I just want to see an entertaining movie, if it's done then I don't care for the personal/public life of people playing in it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

SJW is an annoying phrase that needs to be retired.

But then how would we open the floodgates to mainstream bigotry without shaming people for having basic empathy for minorities?  :qotd:

We'd only have the severely underused word "cuck".  :sadben:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

It amazes me how big the first two Hunger Games were, then how fast the series faded away 

Kinda mirrors the quality of the film's IMO. Or the quality of the books, whichever way you want to look at it.

The most offensive thing about RIPassengers was being told "they're sexy, who cares about reviews, just grab your popcorn and revel in their hotness!" 

Like we should be grateful that these two "hot movie stars" (they're actually both bland) came together to do a movie and the rest doesn't matter. 

That's not why people go to the movies. 

Edited by La Binoche