WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

August 18:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard: Talk about a movie that sounds like a mess. Hitman Samuel L. Jackson hires bodyguard Ryan Reynolds to defeat dictator Gary Oldman; this is all from the director of The Expendables 3! It doesn’t matter that August is barren; if your movie isn’t good, it’s probably going to bomb. The only thing that can save this is good marketing, but good luck getting Lionsgate to do that. 10/30 (3x)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 18:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard: Talk about a movie that sounds like a mess. Hitman Samuel L. Jackson hires bodyguard Ryan Reynolds to defeat dictator Gary Oldman; this is all from the director of The Expendables 3! It doesn’t matter that August is barren; if your movie isn’t good, it’s probably going to bomb. The only thing that can save this is good marketing, but good luck getting Lionsgate to do that. 10/30 (3x)

If it was about Kevin Costner being hired to protect Timothy Olyphant and them struggling to figure out what kind of relationship they have, I'd probably watch it.

August 25:

Cadaver: This horror film from Screen Gems has no discernable cast or crew, but the plot sounds fairly interesting. With It coming out the following weekend, this film really needs to stand out to not get murdered by Pennywise. It’s too early to say how well this will do. 10/25 (2.5x)

Polaroid: Here’s another horror film for this weekend, but Weinstein is “releasing” this one. There isn’t even a cast announced! If it manages to get released, it probably won’t gross much. 5/10 (2x)

Villa Capri: Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones in an action comedy fighting off the mob? That sounds like a hit from the 90’s! The premise sounds unique, and it should draw in older audiences going into September. I expect a decent hit. 15/70 (3.67x)

• Like 2

September 8:

It: It turns out there aren’t any films releasing on Labor Day weekend yet! It is a tough film to predict. It has had a rough production schedule. It originally was going to be directed by Cary Fukunaga and star Will Poulter as Pennywise, but It now stars yet another Skarsgard and is directed by the director of Mama. It is one of Stephen King’s more notable works, but It wasn’t exactly something people were asking to be remade. Its cast and crew isn’t notable either. It will probably be a decent success due to the lack of films in September, but a minor on at that. 20/50 (2.5x)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 11:

Annabelle 2: Ah, the sequel nobody wanted in a film universe everybody loves! Hell, Warner’s even considering a Nun spinoff. Where the hell can that go? Annabelle 2 might actually be decent because of the director; David Sandberg of Lights Out is directing this. I wasn’t a fan of Lights Out, but the direction in it was solid. The biggest advantage this movie has is that it’s the first horror film in nearly three months (not counting Amityville because lol). Mike Flanagan just saved the Ouija franchise, so maybe Sandberg can save Annabelle. Or you know, James Wan should come in and make an amazing horror movie. 25/70 (2.8x)

Baby Driver: I can’t wait for Reddit to go nuts for this movie! I’m conflicted on this film personally; I’m a fan of Edgar Wright, but Ansel Elgort is intolerable (sorry not sorry, Ethan). Edgar Wright wins out for me, but I’ll remain cautious until a trailer. As for the box office, I think this could be a mini-breakout. It’s releasing in the perfect spot for strong legs. I expect better legs than Sausage Party, so Sony can probably fudge this to 100M. 25/100 (4x)

Baby driver will do as well as Scott Pilgrim.

• Like 1

September 15:

The Solutrean: I forgot this movie was coming out! I’m looking forward to a film revolved around the ice age (not that one); it’s an area that hasn’t been explored too much in film. The movie is being filmed with IMAX 3D cameras, so it’ll be a must see in the format. As for its box office potential, I think it can stand out in an empty month. I don’t think this will be another Everest. 20/80 (4x)

September 22:

Granite Mountain: This is 2017’s Deepwater Horizon: it has a strong cast, is produced by Lionsgate, and probably has a budget that’s way too high. The film is directed by Joseph Kosinski, director of Tron Legacy and Oblivion. That might be good or bad depending what you think about those films. I’d expect similar numbers to Deepwater right now given the competition in October. 20/60 (3x)

Ninjago: The second LEGO movie out this year, Ninjago is more niche than Batman. The toy line is very popular, but the film needs to be really strong to draw in older audiences. I expect some goodwill from the first two LEGO movies to prop its gross up, but I doubt it gets much more than 100M. 35/105 (3x)

• Like 5