WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

I’d like to give a big thank you for everyone who read and followed my predictions! Over 9,000 words later, I’ve generated much conversation and controversy, and I couldn’t have done it without you. Have any questions or rebuttals? Let me know! Here are the record 36 films I’m predicting to gross over 100M:

Spoiler

100M Grossers of 2017:

1.      Star Wars: Episode VIII: 800M

2.      Beauty and the Beast: 500M

3.      Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2: 420M

4.      Despicable Me 3: 400M

5.      Thor: Ragnarok: 375M

6.      The LEGO Batman Movie: 375M

7.      The Mummy: 350M

8.      Spider-Man: Homecoming: 340M

9.      Wonder Woman: 325M

10.  The Fate of the Furious: 310M

11.  Justice League: 300M

12.  Logan: 275M

13.  Jumanji: 250M

14.  Dunkirk: 240M

15.  War for the Planet of the Apes: 230M

16.  Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 220M

17.  Cars 3: 180M

18.  Coco: 180M

19.  Kingsman: The Golden Circle: 180M

20.  Pitch Perfect 3: 180M

21.  A Bad Moms Christmas: 175M

22.  The Dark Tower: 160M

23.  My Little Pony: 160M

24.  Kong: Skull Island: 140M

25.  Murder on the Orient Express: 130M

26.  The House: 125M

27.  Transformers: The Last Knight: 125M

28.  Alien: Covenant: 120M

29.  The Commuter: 120M

30.  Downsizing: 120M

31.  Split: 115M

32.  Blade Runner 2049: 105M

33.  Ghost in the Shell: 105M

34.  Ninjago: 105M

35.  Baby Driver: 100M

36.  The Coldest City: 100M

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jumanji: This is the perfect counterprogramming to Episode 8. It’ll bring in 90’s kids based on nostalgia, and The Rock and Kevin Hart will help bring in younger millennials. Expect big things from this. 50/250 (5x)

But apparently he won't them bring in for something else opening this year. ;)

Edited by Jay Beezy

On 12/28/2016 at 2:18 AM, WrathOfHan said:

February 10:

Fifty Shades Darker: This is a difficult movie to predict. Although the first one opened very high, its legs were horrendous because of the fanbase rushing to see it OW. Now that Fifty Shades of Grey has died in popularity a little bit, I don’t think legs will be quite as bad as they were two years ago, but I don’t see this having much more than a 2x or hitting 100M. 40/90 (2.25x)

John Wick: Chapter Two: WICK’S BACK, BABY! The sequel to 2014’s surprise hit is releasing this year, and I expect it to increase a lot from its predecessor. Many discovered it on home video and TV, and this is exactly the kind of universe audiences want to return to. Even with Fifty Shades and LEGO Batman releasing the same weekend, Keanu has nothing to worry about. 25/75 (3x)

The LEGO Batman Movie: Here’s another box office wildcard and our first major event of 2017. The LEGO Movie opened to just under 70M nearly three years ago and has become a mainstay in pop culture. Batman was one of the most acclaimed parts of the film and is still insanely popular. Additionally, nearly two months will have passed since Sing, and A Dog’s Purpose will be doing under 10M by this point. The floor for opening weekend is 70M, and it could go as high as 130M depending on how well Warner Brothers markets this. The marketing push will begin in a few weeks, so we’ll see how it ends up. Originally I thought this would have legs barely over a 3x because of the amount of movies releasing in March, but Presidents Day falls on its second weekend. Everything will connect together like LEGO bricks and deliver an excellent performance. 110/375 (3.41x)

Not bad for JW2 and 50shades  but you really blew it with Lego. :P

On 12/29/2016 at 5:42 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Logan: Logan is kicking off a March packed with blockbusters. After the shockingly great trailer released, expectations changed wildly. What was once a film some (myself included) doubted would make back its 130M budget domestically might now gross 100M on opening weekend! The trailer performed better than either of GOTG2’s trailers on YouTube and was on par with Wonder Woman’s second trailer, but it also couldn’t match Spider-Man Homecoming’s trailer views. GOTG will obviously gross more than Logan, but the trailers views have provided a solid range on what we can expect. I honestly believe 300M is in reach as well, but I’m not going that far. 110/275 (2.5x)

You did good on the smaller movies, but overpredicted the blockbusters. Logan and The Lego Movie. Still not bad, not bad at all. 

Let's see Kong next week, although i think its another optimistic prediction

Edited by Alli

On 12/28/2016 at 6:31 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Get Out: 2017 already looks to be another great year for horror, and Get Out just adds to that excitement. It has a wildly original story and marks a dark yet still comedic turn for Jordan Peele. I don’t know if the GA will like this movie or go see it, but it should perform better than Keanu at the very least. 15/45 (3x)

Um... :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/29/2016 at 6:17 PM, WrathOfHan said:

March 10:

Kong: Skull Island: All hail the king. It’s been over 11 years since Peter Jackson released King Kong, and Warner Brothers is anxious to get their Godzilla shared universe rolling. Despite looking excellent, Kong: Skull Island hasn’t been generating much buzz. The Comic Con trailer performed well but wasn’t one of the day’s most buzzed trailers, and November’s trailer only has 4.3M views to date on YouTube. The weak trailer views and buzz online do not bode well for this film’s chances, and it’s sandwiched between Logan and Beauty and the Beast. I have a strong feeling this will be 2017’s Star Trek Beyond without the summer weekdays. Now, will I stan for this as much as Beyond? That remains to be seen. 60/140 (2.33x)

The Wall: No, this isn’t a Trump documentary; this is Doug Liman’s new real time war drama starring Aaron Taylor Johnson and John Cena. The Wall is also Amazon’s first release to go wide on opening weekend. The trailer has been performing decently for a movie of this size with 1.8M views on YouTube so far; it could be a surprise hit. 10/40 (4x)

Very good prediction for Kong!!

• Like 4

On 1/3/2017 at 3:30 PM, WrathOfHan said:

The Mummy: People on here are underestimating this film. The first trailer exploded online and has some of the highest trailer views for any 2017 movie. Additionally, the IMAX trailer with messed up audio exploded and got people talking more. Do not underestimate how much people love The Mummy. The first film adjusts to 260M, and the second adjusts to 303M. Even The Scorpion King adjusts to 133M! If they had 3D and large formats, the first would have grossed over 300M and the second might have approached 400M. Tom Cruise hasn’t had a big hit lately outside of the Mission Impossible series, but he can be a big draw in the right role. I have had enough of people saying these predictions aren’t controversial. Many have gone outside of the normal range, but people still blast me for this. You want some fucking controversy? I’ll give it to you. The Mummy is going to do to the Monsters Cinematic Universe what Iron Man did to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (I’m just realizing they have the same initials :lol: ). The biggest box office hits come unexpected, and The Mummy has all the right components to break out: a bankable star, buzz, and nostalgia. A Cruise Missile is incoming. You’ve been warned.  

Hide contents

130/350 (2.69x)

:winomg:

• Like 5

Remember when I was wrong about Zootopia grossing over 300M DOM?

Remember when I was wrong about Split grossing over 100M DOM?

Remember when I was wrong about La La Land grossing over 125M DOM?

Spoiler

Granted, I made clubs for all of them. I haven't made a club for The Mummy.

Spoiler

Yet.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Yet.

I'm not really savvy. Are you going to be audacious and say that The Mummy grosses $150m dom or something?

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Making your upcoming downfall all the more sweet.

:ph34r:

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Yet.

I remember when you were right about LB doing $350M+

Spoiler

Which breaks my heart every time I look at it.