WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan's Controversial 2017 Box Office Predictions

July 14:

Bad Dads: This is an example of what happens when a studio has a smash hit and wants to make as much money as possible. Although the sequel to Bad Moms comes out in November, Bad Dads is an interesting beast. Part of the appeal for Bad Moms was exactly that: a strong cast letting loose and having fun. That same premise doesn’t really apply to the male side of things; that’s just any generic comedy. It’s way too early to tell how this movie does; the cast hasn’t even been announced yet! I think having a built-in brand will help, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does half of A Bad Moms Christmas. 30/90 (3x)

Midnight Sun: This film sounds like any generic teen movie ever. It doesn’t even have the appeal of John Green, so this is going to bomb hard. 5/13 (2.6x)

War for the Planet of the Apes: The new Apes movies have been wildly successful and popular, and War looks to continue that trend. It should be able to stand out in the competitive market. Dawn increased 24M from Rise, and I expect a similar pattern here. 80/230 (2.88x)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Spider-Man: Homecoming: WITH YOUR LEFT HAND FREE AND YOUR RIGHT HAND GRIPPED! Spider-Man: Homecoming marks the webslinger’s first MCU solo movie. Although the first trailer didn’t do much for me, I’m looking forward to a different tone for a superhero film. The trailer received a lot of buzz online, and the addition of Tony Stark will help draw in audiences. However, it’s unclear how much Civil War will limit this movie’s box office potential. Although Homecoming looks relatively singular, Civil War was notoriously frontloaded and didn’t leave much room for casual MCU viewers. If the movie requires knowledge of Civil War, that will ruin its chances of 400M. I don’t think it’ll go that high regardless, but this should be a solid entry in the cinematic universe. 130/340 (2.62x)

This is basically my prediction. 

July 21:

DUNKIRK: I may or may not be at gunpoint right now :ph34r:  Dunkirk looks to be a solid amazing war film from one of the most talented directors out there. In fact, Nolan himself seems to be the main draw of this film by WB, and who could blame them? Nolan has been proven to make consistent hits, and audiences are moderately familiar with his name. Dunkirk also represents an area often ignored by studios: the adult blockbuster. Although some teens and One Direction fangirls will want to see this, its target audience is first and foremost adults. Additionally, this film has over 100 minutes of IMAX footage and will get audiences to splurge the extra cash. A lot of its box office depends on what it gets rated. I see it being a PG-13 film, so my prediction is based on that assumption. I believe this will be a massive hit and become the highest grossing WWII film. 60/240 (4x)

Girl Trip: This will be the first movie aimed directly at black audiences since Almost Christmas, and it’s also aimed towards women. This film will take advantage of a barren marketplace and should be a decent sized hit. This is a wise decision by Universal. 20/70 (3.5x)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: Confession time: The Fifth Element is terrible. It’s way too quirky, and the visual effects have not held up at all. However, I think Valerian looks fairly decent. STX recently acquired the rights to distribute all of Europacorp’s films, so I’m curious how much effort they’ll put into the marketing. Europacorp would have had nowhere near the amount of funds for a good marketing campaign, so the recent acquisition changes things quite a bit. Of course, the movie has to be good for audiences to show up. This isn’t like 2014 where Lucy was able to breakout in a semi-barren month. Valerian also won’t have large formats because of Dunkirk. There are many ways this movie could turn out, and I’m not comfortable with my prediction until the next trailer releases. 20/70 (3.5x)

• Like 8

July 28:

The Coldest City: A spy thriller from John Wick’s David Leitch with Charlize Theron, James McAvoy, John Goodman, Sofia Boutella, and Toby Jones? Now THAT’S what I’m looking for! This movie sounds really damn good. There isn’t much buzz at the moment, but I have no doubt this will do well with proper marketing. 25/100 (4x)

The Dark Tower: The first of two Stephen King adaptations in 2017, The Dark Tower is a film many have been clamoring for. The book series is immensely popular, and the film is releasing at the perfect moment in the end of July with a barren August in its path. However, I question how good the early legs on this film will be because of the books’ fanbase. It shouldn’t matter too much; both this and The Coldest City are going to do extremely well going into the fall. 45/160 (3.56x)

• Like 2

Bad Dads probably isn't opening then, because it hasn't been filmed. There have been no casting announcements whatsoever. Plus the notion of Bad Dads sounds too cheap to really connect the way that Bad Moms did so I only buy it doing half that amount.

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

Bad Dads probably isn't opening then, because it hasn't been filmed. There have been no casting announcements whatsoever. Plus the premise of Bad Dads sounds too cheap to really connect the way that Bad Moms did.

Bad Moms began shooting last January and wrapped in March before being completed in time for a late July release date. These movies don't require very long post-production time.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Bad Moms began shooting last January and wrapped in March before being completed in time for a late July release date. These movies don't require very long post-production time.

Fair, but I don't sense this getting made soon. Not to mention, what if behind the scenes Bad Dads is really scrapped and the studio is now pushing to get Bad Moms Christmas made instead? So far there's only been an announcement of a Bad Dads.

Edited by Jay Beezy

All I See Is You: This film premiered at TIFF last year to scathing reviews; it has 50% on RT and 41 on Metacritic. Although Blake Lively had a string of hits recently with The Shallows and The Age of Adaline, I don’t think she can carry this movie to good numbers. 8/20 (2.5x)

Blazing Samurai: Two Open Road films in one weekend, and this one is animated. Hmm, I wonder if it’s an anime inspired film!

BlazingSamuraiPromotionalPoster.png

………Oh God.

Mel Brooks as Shogun, the misguided but good leader.

………….OH GOD. What the fuck is up with this cast? It includes the aforementioned Brooks, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Cera, and Ricky Gervais. Why did they do this movie? They can get whatever projects they want! Maybe this movie is actually good? Who knows, but that poster is guiding my prediction. It’s also opening the same day as the Emoji Movie, so it’s going to bomb hard. 3/6 (2x) Speaking of movies that will bomb hard…

The Emoji Movie: Yeah, nice try at making another LEGO Movie, Sony. Who the hell is going to pay to see a movie about goddamn Emojis? At least The LEGO Movie had nostalgia and the charm of creativity behind it; this movie looks like a soulless cash grab by corporations that are desperate for money. For fuck’s sake, Sony even disabled comments and the like bar on the trailer! Tom Rothman isn’t off the hook on this one either; this movie started development under his reign of Sony. This movie needs to burn in a fire. 15/45 (3x)

August 11:

Annabelle 2: Ah, the sequel nobody wanted in a film universe everybody loves! Hell, Warner’s even considering a Nun spinoff. Where the hell can that go? Annabelle 2 might actually be decent because of the director; David Sandberg of Lights Out is directing this. I wasn’t a fan of Lights Out, but the direction in it was solid. The biggest advantage this movie has is that it’s the first horror film in nearly three months (not counting Amityville because lol). Mike Flanagan just saved the Ouija franchise, so maybe Sandberg can save Annabelle. Or you know, James Wan should come in and make an amazing horror movie. 25/70 (2.8x)

Baby Driver: I can’t wait for Reddit to go nuts for this movie! I’m conflicted on this film personally; I’m a fan of Edgar Wright, but Ansel Elgort is intolerable (sorry not sorry, Ethan). Edgar Wright wins out for me, but I’ll remain cautious until a trailer. As for the box office, I think this could be a mini-breakout. It’s releasing in the perfect spot for strong legs. I expect better legs than Sausage Party, so Sony can probably fudge this to 100M. 25/100 (4x)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

August 11:

Annabelle 2: Ah, the sequel nobody wanted in a film universe everybody loves! Hell, Warner’s even considering a Nun spinoff. Where the hell can that go? Annabelle 2 might actually be decent because of the director; David Sandberg of Lights Out is directing this. I wasn’t a fan of Lights Out, but the direction in it was solid. The biggest advantage this movie has is that it’s the first horror film in nearly three months (not counting Amityville because lol). Mike Flanagan just saved the Ouija franchise, so maybe Sandberg can save Annabelle. Or you know, James Wan should come in and make an amazing horror movie. 25/70 (2.8x)

Baby Driver: I can’t wait for Reddit to go nuts for this movie! I’m conflicted on this film personally; I’m a fan of Edgar Wright, but Ansel Elgort is intolerable (sorry not sorry, Ethan). Edgar Wright wins out for me, but I’ll remain cautious until a trailer. As for the box office, I think this could be a mini-breakout. It’s releasing in the perfect spot for strong legs. I expect better legs than Sausage Party, so Sony can probably fudge this to 100M. 25/100 (4x)

I love Edgar Wright, but he is too niche and I don't see that changing with this one.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

July 21:

DUNKIRK: I may or may not be at gunpoint right now :ph34r:  Dunkirk looks to be a solid amazing war film from one of the most talented directors out there. In fact, Nolan himself seems to be the main draw of this film by WB, and who could blame them? Nolan has been proven to make consistent hits, and audiences are moderately familiar with his name. Dunkirk also represents an area often ignored by studios: the adult blockbuster. Although some teens and One Direction fangirls will want to see this, its target audience is first and foremost adults. Additionally, this film has over 100 minutes of IMAX footage and will get audiences to splurge the extra cash. A lot of its box office depends on what it gets rated. I see it being a PG-13 film, so my prediction is based on that assumption. I believe this will be a massive hit and become the highest grossing WWII film. 60/240 (4x)

Girl Trip: This will be the first movie aimed directly at black audiences since Almost Christmas, and it’s also aimed towards women. This film will take advantage of a barren marketplace and should be a decent sized hit. This is a wise decision by Universal. 20/70 (3.5x)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: Confession time: The Fifth Element is terrible. It’s way too quirky, and the visual effects have not held up at all. However, I think Valerian looks fairly decent. STX recently acquired the rights to distribute all of Europacorp’s films, so I’m curious how much effort they’ll put into the marketing. Europacorp would have had nowhere near the amount of funds for a good marketing campaign, so the recent acquisition changes things quite a bit. Of course, the movie has to be good for audiences to show up. This isn’t like 2014 where Lucy was able to breakout in a semi-barren month. Valerian also won’t have large formats because of Dunkirk. There are many ways this movie could turn out, and I’m not comfortable with my prediction until the next trailer releases. 20/70 (3.5x)

I can fap to 240m

• Like 1