Mockingjay Raphael

Horror 2017

Every year since 2014, there’s at least one Indie Horror movie that comes to mainstream after dominating festivals. We had:

2014: Babadook 
2015: It Follows
2016: The Witch 

But there’s nothing so far this year, any news on this @The Stingray ? 

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

8 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Every year since 2014, there’s at least one Indie Horror movie that comes to mainstream after dominating festivals. We had:

The Endless sounds like an indie darling to me. 100% from 16 reviews on RT so far. Really looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I would say Raw. But if you are looking American release film then probably nothing.

The closest to indie darling is Get Out. But Get Out and all Blumouse releases have the backing of Universal so I don't think it counts.

7 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

I would say Raw. But if you are looking American release film then probably nothing.

The closest to indie darling is Get Out. But Get Out and all Blumouse releases have the backing of Universal so I don't think it counts.

Raw was fucking awful, I still have no idea how this got such praise from critics, one of my worst experiences this year. People complained about ICAN, but it at least has plot that goes above of shocking images. 

With Jigsaw underperforming/flopping, and with Polaroid being DOA, the year for the genre has officially ended (with a bang) with Happy Death Day two weeks ago. I’m waiting for the end of year to post the total gross of the year, but it has easily set a new record for the genre, it broke several records, see the breakdown:

Biggest OW for a Horror movie in January: Split at $40M.

Biggest total for a Horror movie in January: Split at $138.1M.

Biggest total for a Horror movie in February: Get Out at $175.4M.

Best multiple for a Horror movie (excluding pre 2000 releases for obvious reasons): Get Out with 5.2x.

Best multiple for a Horror sequel: Annabelle: Creation with 2.9x.

First franchise ever to have three movies crossing $100M DOM and $300M WW: The Conjuring Universe. 

Best OW ever for a Horror movie in September and overall: IT at $123.4M.

Best OW for a Rated R Horror movie: IT at $123.4M.

Biggest total both DOM and WW for a Horror movie: IT at $330m+ & $700m+.

First Horror movie to cross $300m DOM and $700m WW: IT.

Highest amount of $100m grossers in a single year: Split, Get Out, Annabelle: Creation & IT.

The genre won four months: January (Split), February (Get Out), August (Annabelle: Creation), September (IT).

Bonus: Highest total for a teen Horror movie with time travel featuring a blonde girl as lead: Happy Death Day. 

@Boxofficerules @Krissykins @Hiccup23 @The Stingray @Maxmoser3 @CJohn

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Raw was fucking awful, I still have no idea how this got such praise from critics, one of my worst experiences this year. People complained about ICAN, but it at least has plot that goes above of shocking images. 

I LOVED Raw! The film is fantastic and for me deserves all the praise that it got.

Jeepers Creepers 3, Cult of Chucky, Leatherface, Amityville......  ahh!!

I liked Raw.  I thought it was pretty ambitious.  The Bad Batch was cool too, but its scope was more involved with the world building.  I thought Personal Shopper was the best among the psychological and supernatural horrors.  Other films I thought had various strengths are It Comes At Night and A Cure for Wellness.  I have not got around to A Ghost Story yet. 

All the modern mainstream horror was great IMO. 

I would rank them: 

Get Out 

Split 

It

Annabelle 

Belko Experiment 

47 Meters 

Phoenix Forgotten

Rings 

Bye Bye Man 

Friend Request

Wish Upon

and Action Horror:

Alien: Covenant

Life 

It

Resident Evil 6

Underworld 4

The Great Wall 

Kong: Skull Island 

The Dark Tower

The Mummy

14 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Nice list!

Although Cloverfield beat Splits opening and Jigsaw didn’t really flop. 

I love that horror won 4 full months!!

Another could be that we had 8 horror movies open at #1 this year! 

Thank you for your contribution! I excluded Cloverfield because I consider it more as a Sci-Fi than a true Horror movie.

5 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Too early to say that now.

Absolutely true! I remember that we all thought that 2017 would be a let down compared to 2016, and look at how things turned into. Horror is the most unpredictable genre out there, a masterpiece can be being produced right now under the radars. I mean, movies like La La Land/Arrival always had some strong buzz behind them towards it’s quality, a movie like Get Out, on other hand, just suddenly show up and grabbed all the attention. Who knows what surprises we can have in 2018?