Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

You only  say that because you hate the movie.

Tbf, you're pretty much saying Mother! can still sneak some major nods because you love the movie.

The chances are like sub 2%, and I'm being generous

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Tbf, you're pretty much saying Mother! can still sneak some major nods because you love the movie.

The chances are like sub 2%, and I'm being generous

I love the movie, and many others do. Did you not just see the thinkpiece Harvey wrote on Deadline? There's absolutely some voters that love the film. We shouldn't discount it in some categories yet.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I love the movie, and many others do. Did you not just see the thinkpiece Harvey wrote on Deadline? There's absolutely some voters that love the film. We shouldn't discount it in some categories yet.

Many people love Wonder Woman and Logan too. Did you not see the articles on Variety with it being a contender? There's absolutely some voters that love those films.

We shouldn't discount it in some categories yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Many people love Wonder Woman and Logan too. Did you not see the articles on Variety with it being a contender? There's absolutely some voters that love those films.

We shouldn't discount it in some categories yet.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Entertainment Studios (the 47 Meters Down guys) have picked up Hostiles, and will have the movie release limited in December, then wide in January.

Well...I definitely didn't see that coming.

lmfao, it's going to bomb hard if it goes fully wide. At least they aren't focusing on crappy horror movies.

4 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Entertainment Studios (the 47 Meters Down guys) have picked up Hostiles, and will have the movie release limited in December, then wide in January.

Well...I definitely didn't see that coming.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmfao, it's going to bomb hard if it goes fully wide. At least they aren't focusing on crappy horror movies.

This isn't the only Oscar bait they're distributing wide. The Box Office Mojo schedule states that another Entertainment Studios release, Chappaquiddick, is going wide on the weekend before The Last Jedi.

1 minute ago, slambros said:

This isn't the only Oscar bait they're distributing wide. The Box Office Mojo schedule states that another Entertainment Studios release, Chappaquiddick, is going wide on the weekend before The Last Jedi.

I just looked up what that was. It'll make approximately $200 in its entire run.

4 minutes ago, BirdMan said:

IDK why but Darkest hour seems to me like this year's The Master 

I don't see it. The Master was a somewhat weird movie implied to be about scientology. Darkest Hour is a fairly traditional biopic, and with the Best Actor frontrunner.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also we can pretty much rule out Mudbound for anything at this point. The Academy clearly just isn't here for Netflix's strategy.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/oscars-academy-netflix-eligibility-in-question-membership-meeting-1202180576/

inb4 the film explodes in popularity and views on the streaming site and Netflix makes up a big spiel on how the academy is racist for refusing to include their film.

It saddens me too, but the reality of the situation is that people are more likely to choose to watch Mudbound at home rather than something like I, Tonya in theaters. People are going to call the academy racist if Mudbound is completely shut out, because someone on the Netflix staff is bound to be angry enough to say something on Twitter, and what could have been one of the most exciting Oscar races in years would suddenly become a war zone.

I'm just calling it now. I don't want Netflix populating the nominations with films that didn't get a theatrical release either, but we're headed towards a big situation nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, slambros said:

inb4 the film explodes in popularity and views on the streaming site and Netflix makes up a big spiel on how the academy is racist for refusing to include their film.

It saddens me too, but the reality of the situation is that people are more likely to choose to watch Mudbound at home rather than something like I, Tonya in theaters. People are going to call the academy racist if Mudbound is completely shut out, because someone on the Netflix staff is bound to be angry enough to say something on Twitter, and what could have been one of the most exciting Oscar races in years would suddenly become a war zone.

I'm just calling it now. I don't want Netflix populating the nominations with films that didn't get a theatrical release either, but we're headed towards a big situation nonetheless.

Netflix tends to dump their films on the streaming service with little to zero marketing effort so I doubt there will be a enough of an outcry for anyone to say Mudbound got snubbed.