Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

The Shape of Water, Call Me By Your Name, The Post, Get Out, Mudbound and a few others all could possibly be seen as anti-Trump.

Im not sold they'll go with a movie solely for a political message though.  But if they do I think it'd either be The Post or Get Out (maybe Mudbound).

Im kind of thinking The Shape of Water will take the win though, rn.  That's my predict anyways.

Assuming there are 9 Best Picture nominees again, my early predictions are:

The Big Sick

Call Me by Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

The Florida Project

Get Out

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Big Sick is the kind of movie that I can definitely see having a year-end resurgence when everybody feels like it has no chance (because it opened too early) due to really good box office and plenty of passion for the movie. Plus it'll be Amazon's #1 (thanks to Last Flag Flying faltering and Wonder Wheel sounding too much like a Winslet showcase). That said, I could also see Blade Runner 2049 turning into a Mad Max kind of player and sneak into some top categories (Villeneuve in Director isn't impossible), especially when it's practically locked in for at least half a dozen below the line nominations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think Aronofsky is totally dead yet. mother! has a lot of passion, and the Directing branch in particular has been known to have passion nominees. Scoresese for Last Temptation and Lynch's last two are immediate ones that come to mind and were the sole nominations for their films, but there are some recent (albeit not as good for comparison) examples:

Bennett Miller didn't get any nominations from other groups and only had his Cannes win. He is the first and so far only director to be nominated without a BP nomination in the expanded field.

Terence Malick hit no precursors despite tons of critical support.

Behn Zeitlin managed to get a nomination over several big directors without having any precursors.

You could make a case for Haneke and Abrahamson too. I don't think we should take him out of the conversation just yet because mother! has really passionate fans and the Directing branch is small enough for him to surprise.

(go ahead and laugh at this post Coolio. I dare you.)

Lynch's last two? I don't think Inland Empire got nominated, nor the Straight Story for Best Director even if you did forget Inland Empire.

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Lynch's last two? I don't think Inland Empire got nominated, nor the Straight Story for Best Director even if you did forget Inland Empire.

Just let him hold on to whatever belief has left that mother! has a shot at any Oscar nominations.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Last two nominations (Mulholland and Blue Velvet) breh

I'm blaming your lack of clarity. This will get you fired from a job one day.

Spoiler

mother! is not getting a director nod. :hahaha:

Edited by MrPink
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

>Implying you won't watch it for DOMHNALL

Hide contents

Even though he's only in the movie for like 4 minutes :sparta: 

I got my fill from American Made this weekend.

1*Q5UAAMvQ4KZzQ51oqZoxvw.gif

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Just let him hold on to whatever belief has left that mother! has a shot at any Oscar nominations.

Logan and WW will both be BP/BD nominees before mother is.

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda