Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I liked it but it felt a bit rushed. There was hardly any buildup to finding the island. The 3D was pretty good. Hutcherson was fine. Johnson, Caine, and Guzman were fine too but still don't add up to Fraser. Vanessa Hudgens certainly looks the part of Hot Babe love interest. The Daffy Duck short at the beginning was really lame.

B-

Not bad and fairly entertaining with decent to good visual effects, but the characters for the most are bland and the plot was paint-by-numbers. I only saw this on standard Blu-ray with no 3D but still was impressed mainly because a lot of times filmmakers will make obvious attempts to capitalize on 3D and while there were a couple shots where objects were flying at the screen, it wasn't imposing or too obvious that it took me out of the movie.

Dwayne Johnson was a good replacement (or addition) though if he's not too careful, he might be typecast to fill in numerous already established franchises (see: Fast Five and the upcoming GI Joe sequel). Vanessa Hudgens looks hella fine and alright in the female lead while Josh Hutcherson, like Hudgens, serviceable in a role, like the rest, finds them primarily acting against a green screen.

***¼/*****, (B-, 6.7/10, 2.5/4)