YM!

Weekend Estimates: Lego Batman 55.6M, 50 Shades 46.7M, John Wick 2 30M

19 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Spongebob 2 opened with Jupiter Ascending and Seventh Son, so...no competition.

Lego Movie opened with Monuments Men and Vampire Academy, again basically non factors.

Lego Bat opens with Wick 2 and 50 Shades, both very much capable of taking away the adults, and maybe even parents.

Yup, I guess counter programming only benefits smaller movies. 

Lego Batman just experienced some Walking Dead level cannibalism.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

My question after this weekend is how will Ninjago and The Lego Movie Sequel perform.

I think Ninjago should do solid business, there's no real competition apart from My Little Pony which I'm not expecting to do big numbers.  I think $35-40m should be the aim 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Ninjago should do solid business, there's no real competition apart from My Little Pony which I'm not expecting to do big numbers.  I think $35-40m should be the aim 

What about Lego Movie Sequel? Should we expect a HTTYD2 type scenario ($180M-$220M)? Or will increase ($260M-$300M) or stay flat?

1 minute ago, AN9815 said:

LEGO Batman under expectations but still solid (55-60M), I think that families are holding their money for 'Beauty and the Beast' 

Is "everyone's waiting until Beauty and the Beast" gonna be the excuse if everything underperforms between now and then like "everyone's waiting for Star Wars" was in the month or so leading up to The Force Awakens' release? :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

What about Lego Movie Sequel? Should we expect a HTTYD2 type scenario ($180M-$220M)? Or will increase ($260M-$300M) or stay flat?

It'll depend on the hype and marketing leading up to it.  I probably wouldn't expect much more than staying flat, though.

Seems like a good Friday to me - my Derby is a bit screwed with Wick and LBM (Low and high) but otherwise looks like films are behaving normally despite 3 large releases entering the fold.

Shame that Lion hasn't been treated better by the Ws - could have been a 50m grosser I think if they hadn't pussy footed around with the release strategy.

La La Land showing that there is still a cap on Musical type films that cannot cross demos - not sure what Hollywood has to do to get a HUGE (200m+) musical that isn't a Disney retread or an animated flick.

Hidden Figures is killing it and deservedly so - will be interesting to see if it can meet or pass The Help in the end.

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Single.

Kid like mentality

All three. 

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like many on the forum expected The LEGO Batman Movie to play like a defacto sequel to The LEGO Movie even though it's really a spin-off. That and Batman always makes the forums go crazy, even for blatantly satirical versions of the character lol.

I even said a while back that spin-offs historically do worse than the original films... But people were saying the Batman factor would carry it

29 minutes ago, YourMother said:

My question after this weekend is how will Ninjago and The Lego Movie Sequel perform.

There's a lot more competition with Ninjago, so I don't think that will do as well as this film. Plus it  just feels more obscure

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Depends on the film's appeal, hype, and if they can keep it fresh from the other LEGO movies. If they can't, then I would expect a drop, and for the franchise to be declared niche.

For what its worth on Lego Batman - I saw JW2 and saw a lot of moms with their young kids going to the movies. Problem is.....They were seeing 50SD. I've never seen something that gross before.. And when I finally got into the theater for JW2, some moron decided to smoke pot in the theater. Hooray for America!

The issue is I feel like satire can only take you so far. LEGO Movie, LEGO Batman, and Ninjago all feel kind of samey based on the trailers for Batman and Ninjago. Haven't seen Batman yet so I can't say if that carries over to the film itself, but based on the trailers all 3 feel pretty copy-pasted. 

• Like 1