FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

Hulk was more popular than Thor, Ant-Man and Dr. Strange combined and his movies barely made 130 m DOM.

Exactly. Just because a Superhero is well known, doesn't mean it's gonna be a hit. Deadpool has always been popular. But the film turned out to be a huge hit, because of the marketing campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

Actually The Force Awakens made more money than the original Star Wars (let alone its sequels) if you only count its original run and adjust with CPI inflation. US population in 2015 much bigger than US population in 1977 though. 

Star Wars made $220M in 1977 which equals to $860M in 2015 USD. 

Fair enough, but that's not really my point. I'm saying that the achievements of films like La La Land and Hidden Figures aren't lessened by the fact that there were other, bigger films before it. La La Land's performance is no less great because it didn't break any records.

25 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They're in my prayers tonight. Who passed?

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Who?

I'm fairly sure he's talking about a regular at the cinema he works at.

My condolences @DAJK. Always sucks to lose someone you know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brian.jensen.507464 said:

Apocalypse didn't flop, it just underperformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was definitely a relative flop. These movies cost hundreds of millions to produce, distribute and advertise worldwide. 

26 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Fair enough, but that's not really my point. I'm saying that the achievements of films like La La Land and Hidden Figures aren't lessened by the fact that there were other, bigger films before it. La La Land's performance is no less great because it didn't break any records.

It's not about lessening or exaggerating their achievements, it's about placing them in their proper place in the "Sleeper Hit" pantheon. 

13 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It was definitely a relative flop. These movies cost hundreds of millions to produce, distribute and advertise worldwide. 

It's not about lessening or exaggerating their achievements, it's about placing them in their proper place in the "Sleeper Hit" pantheon. 

Apocalypse cost 180mil and made over 500mil worldwide. There are plans for a sequel. I know you guys here like to get caught up in all of this convoluted math when it comes to domestic vs overseas grosses, but really we know nothing. We do know they're making more. That means it made them a profit. 

• Like 2

To respond to an earlier conversation, 732 films had a domestic theatrical release of some level in 2016. 29 films topped $100 million. 29. Topping $100 million is still an achievement, and it is still the blockbuster mark.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Apocalypse cost 180mil and made over 500mil worldwide. There are plans for a sequel. I know you guys here like to get caught up in all of this convoluted math when it comes to domestic vs overseas grosses, but really we know nothing. We do know they're making more. That means it made them a profit. 

$180M was the production budget, add promotion and distribution and there's no way it made any money. The fact that Fox is sticking with the X-Men franchise doesn't make all the movies of that franchise profitable. It's just that it happens to be their only lucrative conveyor-belt property. They have no choice but to keep reinvesting in it. 

13 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

To respond to an earlier conversation, 732 films had a domestic theatrical release of some level in 2016. 29 films topped $100 million. 29. Topping $100 million is still an achievement, and it is still the blockbuster mark.

It's still some kind of benchmark, but not anything special anymore. Inflation is a b*tch. 

5 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Hidden Figures will finish 14th for top 2016 box office, making more than 98% of the movies released.

Yes, it's an amazing financial success (in the USA, not anywhere else) and nobody disputes that. But there have been bigger (much bigger) sleeper hits in previous years and decades. I find it amazing that many on this forum of bona fide box-office nerds cannot acknowledge this self-evident reality. 

1 hour ago, AABATTERY said:

I'm fairly sure he's talking about a regular at the cinema he works at.

My condolences @DAJK. Always sucks to lose someone you know.

Yes sorry I forgot to specify

• Like 1