franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

In terms of summer movies, would anyone be surprised if Spider-verse, Flash and Guardians are 3 of the top 5 or 6 DOM earners? 

I think the big think is maybe pull back on the oversaturation (primarily referencing MCU here) and the superhero stuff can still make nice mint for a few more years but obviously not it was making in that 2008 through 2022 boom. But, still, likely more than similarly priced blockbusters. Focus on quality not quantity and people will still see them until it completely dries up a few years from now.

I think it's good that Guardians and Spider-verse and Flash are all very different movies stylistically too. Should allow each to feel somewhat fresh.

Under 100M OW is totally shocking after Vol1 and 2

Just now, fabiopazzo2 said:

Under 100M OW is totally shocking after Vol1 and 2

Given what we saw Ant-man and Shazam just do... Not quite as shocking to me and some others. I'm not still not convinced it won't clear 100M+ OW DOM though. But, again, we literally just saw two big budget superhero flicks disappoint and outright bomb in just the last 3 months. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

In terms of summer movies, would anyone be surprised if Spider-verse, Flash and Guardians are 3 of the top 5 or 6 DOM earners? 

I think the big think is maybe pull back on the oversaturation (primarily referencing MCU here) and the superhero stuff can still make nice mint for a few more years but obviously not it was making in that 2008 through 2022 boom. But, still, likely more than similarly priced blockbusters. Focus on quality not quantity and people will still see them until it completely dries up a few years from now.

I think it's good that Guardians and Spider-verse and Flash are all very different movies stylistically too. Should allow each to feel somewhat fresh.

The speed at which the MCU is crashing has exceeded the expectations of everyone, you think Ant Man 3 and GOTG Vol 3 numbers are disasters just wait to see how much stuff like Captain America 4 and Thunderbolts gross. I am not sure we are that far from the "completely dried up" stage.

1 hour ago, thajdikt said:

This right here is spot on. NWH had the hype, MoM did, I would argue Thor also did. But given 2 of those 3 didn´t deliver in the eyes of the audience and Ant-Man 3 also arguably being the worst MCU movie the hype seems dead in the fandom aswell. Besides Deadpool 3 I don´t think there´s any real hype right now. Which is why Vol 3 is so important. Marvel will never reach Phase 3 levels consistently again, but if they want to earn good money consistently on every movies this movie needs to deliver big time. This all slowing down from Marvel is good but it might be to late if they don´t deliver on those projects that´s already filmed.

It´s Gunn´s movie to save the future of the MCU and the genre in general. Don´t think enough emphasis have been made on the horrible year of 2022 the genre had. We had 6 CBM´s and only 2 of them got good reviews and audience score. Ofc some movies will always have hype, say a Spider-Man etc but this genre desperately needs good movies the audiences really like. We are at the point where more movies are made in the genre but the quality has fallen hard.

Lol, the doom and gloom is hilarious. Marvel is t gonba reach phase 3 consistency? How about phase 2 or phase 1. Marvel has been delivering for 15 years and they only have 2-3 movies with bad reviews and box office.

Based purely on track record your comment makes no sense. The overall trend of movies is going down and audience preferences have changed. That affects the genre as well but acting like mcu movies are in danger of continuously flopping is ridiculous. Only ant man flopped, be real. Underperforming is the trend.

3 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

The speed at which the MCU is crashing has exceeded the expectations of everyone, you think Ant Man 3 and GOTG Vol 3 numbers are disasters just wait to see how much stuff like Captain America 4 and Thunderbolts gross. I am not sure we are that far from the "completely dried up" stage.

Nothing is crashing and burning. 

4 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

This is why some people here get so annoyed about the "MCU is doomed" talk, because yeah there´s no denying right now the MCU is in bad shape, really bad shape but some of you guys always takes it to far. OMG this movie that´s coming out in over 1 year is "doomed". There is to early to tell how things are going to do for those movies. First of Vol 3 might be good, and thus that may make people be more excited again for the MCU. Secret Invasion might be good. The Marvels might be good, or they all could be garbage. It´s to early to talk about movies coming out next year. We don´t even know where Guardians will land at the end of it´s run. Things are looking bleak but people get way ahead of themselves. Let´s just take on movie at a time, at least in this tread which is a Guardians 3 thread. Just this November a Marvel movie opened up to 180M, things can change quickly. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

This is why some people here get so annoyed about the "MCU is doomed" talk, because yeah there´s no denying right now the MCU is in bad shape, really bad shape but some of you guys always takes it to far. OMG this movie that´s coming out in over 1 year is "doomed". There is to early to tell how things are going to do for those movies. First of Vol 3 might be good, and thus that may make people be more excited again for the MCU. Secret Invasion might be good. The Marvels might be good, or they all could be garbage. It´s to early to talk about movies coming out next year. We don´t even know where Guardians will land at the end of it´s run. Things are looking bleak but people get way ahead of themselves. Let´s just take on movie at a time, at least in this tread which is a Guardians 3 thread. Just this November a Marvel movie opened up to 180M, things can change quickly. 

This. Some of you need to pump the brakes a little here. It's teetering to fearmongering at this point. 

Edited by Starrow5722

mcu is back to phase 1 nd phase 2 situation ! they have to do really good movies nd shows no more average or bad stuff ! they need to earn back the trust and involvement of the audience ! movies stakes must be higher nd things that can make gen audience  more involved and excited ! i remember when almost everyone was speaking about infinity stones and which is where etc . it was simple and clean ! but now it's so messy ! they should do 2 shows nd 3 movies max per yr at max ! give more time to breath for audience ! too much stuff in a yr took away the event feel in this franchise !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

I think we need to give it a few more before we move this especially given the MCU movie before Ant-Man did 455M DOM. We need to see what actually happens with Vol. 3 before jumping to this... That said, did anyone expect much other than a huge drop from Captain Marvel to The Marvels? Was anyone expecting Thunderbolts to do anything special? Was anyone expecting a non Chris Evans Cap to do something huge? Heck, the first two Cap films before they added all the Avengers did 177M DOM and 260M DOM... That's with many considering Winter Solider maybe the best of one of the best MCU movies.

I think a little perspective is needed. The build up to Infinity War and Endgame really bloated the numbers to many MCU flicks released in the two or three years right before those movies.

And, Ant-Man is a huge disappointment absolutely. But, who's in that one? Ant-Man? His movies did 180M DOM and 217M DOM. And, who else, Kang who was only in a single episode of Loki? No other Avengers. Obviously if it wasn't complete trash it would've maybe grossed closer to 300M DOM but I'm not sure Quatumania was ever going to break out huge. The only MCU films with huge solo movie admissions are Ironman and Black Panther. To a lesser extent, Guardians. That's it. Thor 3 added Hulk. Cap 3 added everyone. Thor 4 stuffed the Guardians in for a bit. Captain Marvel added Fury and was direct setup for Endgame. 

• Like 4

People dont see the mcu failing, they WANT IT TO. Thats why its so hard to take so many comments here seriously. Its obvious some of you are tired of the mcu and you want everyone else to feel the same to feel validated. 

It happens all the time in life, everyone wants their team to succeed and the team they dislike to fail. But at least be honest and upfront about it. So many of you here have forsaken nuance for twitter takes like "LMAO MCU DEAD, WE ATE". Its embarrassing. If the mcu has a string of straight flops, then we start this conversation.

Edited by Jeight
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guardians is among my favorite MCU sub franchises . Both movies occupy 1 and 6th places on my ranking and surprisingly I'm not as excited as I hoped to be. Yeah just shows where MCU is at . All the recent releases reception has really caught up.

Presales for guardians have just been baffling low.

Marvels basically has Ms marvel and Monica rombeau who are not known ,brie Larson has barely a presence in the trailer . Add to that it's coming after rather mid first installment. This has to be good . 

2024 is basically wild cards until Deadpool

2025 and beyond is interesting if it gets it shit together at this phase yeah shit will be good ,if it fucks  this phase up ,MCU will be in real trouble.

But yeah still  looking at guardians presales , Big red flag . MCU is definitely in quite a low place.  It's not dead or doomed just yet.

39 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

GOTG 3 is like one of the last silver bullets the MCU has left, once it is fired things are going to get harder and harder. If the general public can't be bothered to turn out for GOTG 3 then it will be even harder to convince them to turn out for future MCU films. This is why I laugh at those who declare Wakanda Forever some success, when the reality is that people in Marvel and Disney should be shitting their pants that people are not flocking to see the sequel to megahit BP.

• Disbelief 1

31 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think we need to give it a few more before we move this especially given the MCU movie before Ant-Man did 455M DOM. We need to see what actually happens with Vol. 3 before jumping to this... That said, did anyone expect much other than a huge drop from Captain Marvel to The Marvels? Was anyone expecting Thunderbolts to do anything special? Was anyone expecting a non Chris Evans Cap to do something huge? Heck, the first two Cap films before they added all the Avengers did 177M DOM and 260M DOM... That's with many considering Winter Solider maybe the best of one of the best MCU movies.

I think a little perspective is needed. The build up to Infinity War and Endgame really bloated the numbers to many MCU flicks released in the two or three years right before those movies.

And, Ant-Man is a huge disappointment absolutely. But, who's in that one? Ant-Man? His movies did 180M DOM and 217M DOM. And, who else, Kang who was only in a single episode of Loki? No other Avengers. Obviously if it wasn't complete trash it would've maybe grossed closer to 300M DOM but I'm not sure Quatumania was ever going to break out huge. The only MCU films with huge solo movie admissions are Ironman and Black Panther. To a lesser extent, Guardians. That's it. Thor 3 added Hulk. Cap 3 added everyone. Thor 4 stuffed the Guardians in for a bit. Captain Marvel added Fury and was direct setup for Endgame. 

I was expecting The Marvels to do something like 700M in the worst case scenario........ right now I am not sure it would do that. I still do suspect it'll end up being the best performing MCU film of the year but that's only because how badly the other 2 films had performed.

Now the problem is that all these endless reshoots of the movie makes me fear the final budget of The Marvels will be some stupid number, if that's the case we could be looking at 3 straight money losing flops in the row for the MCU. Such a thing happening would be unfathomable just 1 year ago when COVID recovery looks to be on track. 

5 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

GOTG 3 is like one of the last silver bullets the MCU has left, once it is fired things are going to get harder and harder. If the general public can't be bothered to turn out for GOTG 3 then it will be even harder to convince them to turn out for future MCU films. This is why I laugh at those who declare Wakanda Forever some success, when the reality is that people in Marvel and Disney should be shitting their pants that people are not flocking to see the sequel to megahit BP.

But the megastar that played Black Panther passed away and didn't appear in the film really at all. Not even like a Dark Knight or Furious 7 type thing where the actor finished his role or finished most of his role and appeared in the film. That was a big blow. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

I honestly don't know why people can't either leave a conversation or provide their personal thoughts without acting like victims. MCUs box office success does not affect your own personal enjoyment of the movies.

It's a forum about box office results. That's going to be discussed.

MCU is a massive multi year planned franchise. GotG opening under 100M suggests the franchise might continue to underperform - we don't have to 'take it one movie at a time' to speculate that just as everyone could speculate improved box office performers after The Avengers broke out with insane numbers. It's hypocritical as well to say we must ignore the recent trends but clearly using past performance to say future movies will be hits.

Sub 100M means Disney's bottom line getting hit in a substantial way across several years. It means tighter budgets and would mean reduced output if they are unable to recover. Doesn't mean MCU is 'doomed' but it clearly has implication on its plans and scope.

This doesn't mean they won't break out again but it's still an industry shaking result of GotG doesn't have a late drive up once reviews hit.

• Like 2

How many movies open to 100+ million those days?  A fraction of what it was in 18,19 or before.  This isn't about the MCU,  it's about industry in general.  And no Avatar isn't a sign of brighter days and neither is nwh. 

Fewer movies will open to 100 million as years go by

4 minutes ago, Jeight said:

How many movies open to 100+ million those days?  A fraction of what it was in 18,19 or before.  This isn't about the MCU,  it's about industry in general.  And no Avatar isn't a sign of brighter days and neither is nwh. 

Fewer movies will open to 100 million as years go by

So far in 2023 we’ve had the highest grossing Creed movie, the highest grossing John Wick movie and the highest grossing video game movie by a country mile. 

• Like 1