baumer

Tuesday #s BaTB 18m (Damien has spoken) Asgard

1 minute ago, baumer said:

It goes both ways too though.....don't try to be argumentative and boorish when you first arrive.  Ease into things and if you don't understand something, ASK.

Thats absolutely true.

I wasnt trying to be harsh at all. BOT is possibly the best forum I have seen on the web and most of the trouble with new members comes from their part. 

I didnt say those things as though there is some certain large problem I just think its a good way of behaving generally.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that it is generally better to be more lenient with new members. There is no point in coming at them by the time they sign up. Give them some time.

It is difficult to be a new member in a community even If that's an internet forum. For an oldie the casual tease may be just fun but you cant be sure how a newbie will perceive this.

I remember that when I first registered a bunch of people must have thought that I was dcasey. They were like "you are welcome If you are not a double account".

Only recently I realized what they meant lmaooo. :P

I've noticed this happens rarely when Rth give numbers, or if EmpireCity gives the inside scoop on a movie. Once, a new member asked why we should believe EmpireCity, and some people just piled onto him bc "he's a trusted member you troll" instead of actually explaining

• Like 8

1 minute ago, franfar said:

I've noticed this happens rarely when Rth give numbers, or if EmpireCity gives the inside scoop on a movie. Once, a new member asked why we should believe EmpireCity, and some people just piled onto him bc "he's a trusted member you troll" instead of actually explaining

I guess that some times unintentionally people talk to new members as though they are here for a long time.

I remember searching for a weekend what Asgard is when I first signed. :ph34r:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Thats absolutely true.

I wasnt trying to be harsh at all. BOT is possibly the best forum I have seen on the web and most of the trouble with new members comes from their part. 

I didnt say those things as though there is some certain large problem I just think its a good way of behaving generally.

Yep, I was agreeing with you 100% as well.  

I think part of the problem when you come to a site that is as tight as this one is that it can be a little intimidating.  You see a movie like BvS and saw that it opened to 165 and finished with 330, you think why can't BaTB do that?  Why would one Monday be different than another?  Why does it matter than a film only fell 23% on sunday instead of 28%?  There's so much minutia when it comes to box office and if you don't really know anything about it at first, it can seem a little daunting.  So that's why I'm just saying get the feel for the place first.

But I still shouldn't have said some of the things I said to him....but it's all good now.

• Like 5

We had a thread in one of the sections that explained stuff to new members.......i don't know where it is....but maybe it's time to resurrect it again.

It would be like me as a Canadian going to somewhere like Italy and not knowing some of their customs and then having one of the locals call me an idiot for not having said knowledge.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Yep, I was agreeing with you 100% as well.  

I think part of the problem when you come to a site that is as tight as this one is that it can be a little intimidating.  You see a movie like BvS and saw that it opened to 165 and finished with 330, you think why can't BaTB do that?  Why would one Monday be different than another?  Why does it matter than a film only fell 23% on sunday instead of 28%?  There's so much minutia when it comes to box office and if you don't really know anything about it at first, it can seem a little daunting.  So that's why I'm just saying get the feel for the place first.

But I still shouldn't have said some of the things I said to him....but it's all good now.

I guess that there is no problem for new members learning from their mistakes with such type of false comparisons as you said given that they dont act as know alls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMarosa said:

Also, saying that a film is intellectually lazy is very different from allegedly wanting ”intellectually challenging” films only. Heck, I loved Twilight and Transformers, and those films are anything but IC. I also look forward to Black Panther and Wonder Woman. Anyway, this is my last post about this. Sorry again for acting like a jerk. :(

So you loved Twilight and Transformers, yet you're bashing on BATB for being intellectually lazy? :wintf:

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

We had a thread in one of the sections that explained stuff to new members.......i don't know where it is....but maybe it's time to resurrect it again.

Nice, I think it would be very helpful to re-introduce it. Like a glossary/manual.

It could explain out jargon like OW, pre-sales, etc. 

Along with links to the websites we use like BOM, the-numbers, movietickets, pulse, etc.

Also, explaining the useful info that @Rth and the Beast and @EmpireCity post on the forum.

For max visibility (if possible), perhaps it could go as it's own section (like "New Members") on the front page. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

So you loved Twilight and Transformers, yet you're bashing on BATB for being intellectually lazy? :wintf:

Yea.  You got a problem with that?  :qotd:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, franfar said:

Nice, I think it would be very helpful to re-introduce it. Like a glossary/manual.

It could explain out jargon like OW, pre-sales, etc. 

Along with links to the websites we use like BOM, the-numbers, movietickets, pulse, etc.

Also, explaining the useful info that @Rth and the Beast and @EmpireCity post on the forum.

For max visibility (if possible), perhaps it could go as it's own section (like "New Members") on the front page. 

I agree.  I'm going to talk to @Water Bottle and @TelemAAchos and see if we can get one going again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yea.  You got a problem with that?  :qotd:

I mean people are free to love Twilight or Transformers, but you'd be hard pressed to make an argument that they're any less intellectually lazy than a BATB remake.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, baumer said:

For the record @MrMarosa, don't ever be afraid to post a prediction that might be laughed at.  You have no idea how bad some of mine have been over the years.  For example:

Independence Day 2 to win the summer of 2016

War of the Worlds over 200 million

Finding Dory to get beat by Secret Life of Pets

and my all time biggest failure was The Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted (which at the time was about 20 million).

?

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I think you guys let in too much IGN users on here. The effects are starting to show.

What do you mean "let in"? Anyone is free to come here, whether you're IGN or not, unless you're insightful/trolling

13 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that it is generally better to be more lenient with new members. There is no point in coming at them by the time they sign up. Give them some time.

It is difficult to be a new member in a community even If that's an internet forum. For an oldie the casual tease may be just fun but you cant be sure how a newbie will perceive this.

I remember that when I first registered a bunch of people must have thought that I was dcasey. They were like "you are welcome If you are not a double account".

Only recently I realized what they meant lmaooo. :P

Oh shit, I just visited the weekend thread when you joined these forums. The very first reply to your very first comment was "Dcasey?" Glad that didn't scare you off.

For the record, I've never thought you were a Dcasey sockpuppet, he's really antagonistic about Harry Potter and you're not.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Oh shit, I just visited the weekend thread when you joined these forums. The very first reply to your very first comment was "Dcasey?" Glad that didn't scare you off.

For the record, I've never thought you were a Dcasey sockpuppet, he's really antagonistic about Harry Potter and you're not.

That's the user who I was talking about in my above post.

sigh

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

Well..thanks!

I couldnt really scare off atm because I didnt know who Dcasey was. Lmaoo.

As for harry potter,it is a huge part of my childhood but I accept that other people dont like it and I have a pretty fair share of other movies/franchises that I love in order not to be that one dimensional.

• Like 2