baumer

Tuesday #s BaTB 18m (Damien has spoken) Asgard

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I apologize.  I misread your intentions.  It just seemed like you were slamming the film every chance you got.  And that kind of seemed trollish.  I guess I didn't help the situation.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cool. Again, I apologize for my idiotic posts. I can certainly admit I acted like an idiot. I guess it’s not worth to fight over silly stuff. Thanks for understanding, and also, sorry if I came across as trying to tell you how to act. It was stupid, man. Anyway, have a great day. Can I ask a [silly] question? What do you think, of the upcoming blockbusters, will be the next one to break out in bigger-than-expected ways? GITS? WW? PR? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

So you slam "intellectually lazy" movies and basically call general audiences idiots, then turn around and say you love Transformers? Do you have a split personality or are you two different people posting with this one account? 

Huge difference between calling audiences idiots (which I never did) and saying that they fell for nostalgia. We have all done that.

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I understand the argument but that is like asking me to remember Titanics run lol I see how massive it is in history but I wasn't there so I can't fathom how big it actually was. 

That being said I remember the crazy preachers of the churches we went to blasting it from the pulpit so that says something about how far it invaded the popular culture of 1997/98

No movie since Titanic has come close to matching the all consuming Titanic-mania pop culture phenomenon that took place back in 1997/98.

Put this into perspective:

At this point in Titanic's run it held its 14th consecutive weekend at #1 and dropped 2.4% (after the previous weekend's drop of 0.2%).

Titanic was still playing in over 3,000 theaters at 18 weeks, and didn't drop below 1,000 until 24 weeks.

First movie to gross over $450, $500, $550, $600(!) million in an initial release! 

This of course doesn't even take into account any anecdotal evidence such as Titanic's record-breaking soundtrack sales (My Heart Will Go On), Oscar wins, Leo-Mania, I'm King of the World quote, parodies, merchandise, documentaries, home-video release, etc all capatilzing on the world's obsession with the movie.

Starting with Avatar and very prominent over the last few years, inflation and the surcharges of 3D/IMAX, etc has shown that the box-office can reach now crazy heights, while not needing to match (or sometime's even coming close to matching) a previous movie's pop culture status/influence.

• Like 2

I remember Titanicmania. Before that, the one film I recall being an all-encompassing pop culture force was Batman 89. It was inescapable all over; a true phenomenon (like Titanic.)

Edited by MrMarosa
  • Like 3

For the record @MrMarosa, don't ever be afraid to post a prediction that might be laughed at.  You have no idea how bad some of mine have been over the years.  For example:

Independence Day 2 to win the summer of 2016

War of the Worlds over 200 million

Finding Dory to get beat by Secret Life of Pets

and my all time biggest failure was The Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted (which at the time was about 20 million).

We all make bad predictions.  It's just how we handle out failures.  It's fun to fail.  It's nice when you nail one too, but failing here is more fun at times....as long as we all handle it like it mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  That was the only thing I though you were being a bit strange about....just that you misread the potential of BaTB and maybe being a bit new at this, not having all the date or knowing where to look for good comparison.  

If you have any questions here, just ask.  It's a great community and people here are certainly willing to reach out and help. :)

I'm probably not the best guy to ask for this stuff, but my off the cuff predictions for Ghost in the Shell would be anywhere from 50-100 million in NA and probably much better internationally.  Scarlett certainly helped Lucy to do very well.  So this one is hard for me to gauge.  

Wonder Woman I am bullish on:  Probably close to 100 mill opening and if it is good, then about 240 million and if it sucks like the other DC films have been perceived as sucking, then maybe even 220.  World wide I think it can hit 600 mill.

Power Rangers I think has a horrible release date and it will get buried here.  I'm saying it will do about 25/65.  World wide I have no idea how well known it is.

Ask @CJohn or @MrPink or @4815162342 ....they might have different opinions than me.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

I remember Titanicmania. Before that, the one film I recall being an all-encompassing pop culture force was Batman 89. It was inescapable all over; a true phenomenon (like Titanic.)

Big time.  And yes, Batman in 89 blew everyone away.  Before it came out, Ghostbusters 2 and Last Crusade set the record for opening weekends.  Both grossed around 29.5 million.  Then Batman came along and beat both of them by 11 million.  It destroyed the OW record by more than 30%.  Batman was a true beast.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yes but those who are newer to box office cannot appreciate it in the same way that we do. Hence my point 

Thats normal and cannot be changed. Its like trying to persuade a millenial how big Beatles were. You cannot really understand the impact of an event only by numbers.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

yep and I was around for both.  As a matter of fact, I had them both in my list of most memorable theater going experiences because of all the hooplah around them both

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Thats a massive Tuesday, looks like this might actually sail over 600M domestic.

Obligatory

Image result for let's not start pulp fiction

• Like 5

I think that it is generally better to be more lenient with new members. There is no point in coming at them by the time they sign up. Give them some time.

It is difficult to be a new member in a community even If that's an internet forum. For an oldie the casual tease may be just fun but you cant be sure how a newbie will perceive this.

I remember that when I first registered a bunch of people must have thought that I was dcasey. They were like "you are welcome If you are not a double account".

Only recently I realized what they meant lmaooo. :P

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

For the record @MrMarosa, don't ever be afraid to post a prediction that might be laughed at.  You have no idea how bad some of mine have been over the years.  For example:

Independence Day 2 to win the summer of 2016

War of the Worlds over 200 million

Finding Dory to get beat by Secret Life of Pets

and my all time biggest failure was The Hangover under Very Bad Things adjusted (which at the time was about 20 million).

We all make bad predictions.  It's just how we handle out failures.  It's fun to fail.  It's nice when you nail one too, but failing here is more fun at times....as long as we all handle it like it mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.  That was the only thing I though you were being a bit strange about....just that you misread the potential of BaTB and maybe being a bit new at this, not having all the date or knowing where to look for good comparison.  

If you have any questions here, just ask.  It's a great community and people here are certainly willing to reach out and help. :)

I'm probably not the best guy to ask for this stuff, but my off the cuff predictions for Ghost in the Shell would be anywhere from 50-100 million in NA and probably much better internationally.  Scarlett certainly helped Lucy to do very well.  So this one is hard for me to gauge.  

Wonder Woman I am bullish on:  Probably close to 100 mill opening and if it is good, then about 240 million and if it sucks like the other DC films have been perceived as sucking, then maybe even 220.  World wide I think it can hit 600 mill.

Power Rangers I think has a horrible release date and it will get buried here.  I'm saying it will do about 25/65.  World wide I have no idea how well known it is.

Ask @CJohn or @MrPink or @4815162342 ....they might have different opinions than me.

My predictions are actually similar to yours in those 3 movies :ph34r:

I would go with 25/65 for Ghost in the Shell, 100/250 for WW and 30/80 for Power Rangers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think that it is generally better to be more lenient with new members. There is no point in coming at them by the time they sign up. Give them some time.

It is difficult to be a new member in a community even If that's an internet forum. For an oldie the casual tease may be just fun but you cant be sure how a newbie will perceive this.

I remember that when I first registered a bunch of people must have thought that I was dcasey. They were like "you are welcome If you are not a double account".

Only recently I realized what they meant lmaooo. :P

It goes both ways too though.....don't try to be argumentative and boorish when you first arrive.  Ease into things and if you don't understand something, ASK.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Big time.  And yes, Batman in 89 blew everyone away.  Before it came out, Ghostbusters 2 and Last Crusade set the record for opening weekends.  Both grossed around 29.5 million.  Then Batman came along and beat both of them by 11 million.  It destroyed the OW record by more than 30%.  Batman was a true beast.

I lived in Puerto Rico when Batman89 came out and the local media was obsessed with it. Almost all local sitcoms referenced the film and the character, and local variety shows had Batman-themed skits constantly. And I have never seen so many people on the streets wearing Batman t-shirts, not even in our current CBM golden age. It was fricking insane. 

Edited by MrMarosa

3 hours ago, MrMarosa said:

I lived in Puerto Rico when Batman89 came out and the local media was obsessed with it. Almost all local sitcoms referenced the film and the character and local variety shows has Batman-themed skits constantly. And I have never seen so many people on the streets wearing Batman t-shirts, not even in our current CBM golden age. It was fricking insane. 

Yea, that sounds like it was here in Canada too.  I followed the box office in 89, but not anything like I do now and knew Indy was big but I had no idea how big Batman was.  I had a friend who was a comic book guy and he told me that Batman was going to dominate the box office that summer....said it would beat Indy.  I didn't believe him and lost a bet to him.  I was stunned to see how popular Batman was.  It was a real eye opener.

• Like 1