WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It feels like it is being set up to fail. Extremely bad release date the same weekend as WW and a week after Memorial day, 2 weeks before Cars 3 and 4 before DM3. OW gross as well as legs will be at a premium for it. A better release date would probably be Memorial Day weekend as it can at least act as a kiddie programmer for the long weekend and get more separation before the 2 big animated movies of summer.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out like Rise of the Guardians all over again, last film in the Fox/DWA contract which they've left to wither. Luckily it's costing DWA less than their usual film as the animation is being outsourced.

6 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

I can see +$35-40m OW if the studio will choose appropriate actors to play DBZ.

DBZ is one of the most popular anime's of all time.

If C-listers GotG and Deadpool can break out, so could a well executed DBZ movie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

TOMATOMETER 

47%

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/sabans-power-rangers 

8 says is good

15 says is meh

7 says is shit

23 > 7 ;)

You're welcome

15 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still not enough for a sequel.

I'm talking about approval. Many movies have good approvals and flop at the box office still. This is not the case.

Edited by alisson23

1 minute ago, alisson23 said:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/sabans-power-rangers 

8 says is good

15 says is meh

7 says is shit

13 > 7 ;)

You're welcome

I'm talking about approval. Many movies have good approvals and flop at the box office still. This is not the case.

Still meh isn't a good, besides 44 isn't much to write Home about. Still no surprise the GA loved PR.

4 minutes ago, Frozen said:

The whitewashing thing is a complicated issue. They pick Scarlett because of her name value and her ability to draw. There is not an Asian woman in Hollywood that has her name value or ability to draw. 

But then on the the other hand, how does an Asian woman get her name value or ability to draw if no one casts her in big movies? Or even little movies like Aloha? 

Exactly. They do that on purpose. They don't groom WoC for stardom so they have nothing to show when competing with actresses whose resume has Lucy, Shallows, insert similar cheapo hit. I mean, putting Scarlett in Lucy (action, sci fi, high concept, cheap) is setting her up for success. Putting Scarlett in Queen of Katwe (a Hallmark type of a movie nobody ever watch in theaters that would never get proper marketing and release date) is setting her up for fail. Oh, wait, Scarlett wasn't in that one but Lupita was. So lets say they compete for the same leading role cause color blind casting and Scarlett resume wins out, of course. It's a never-ending circle. Asian actresses don't even have Queen of Katwe to show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

CJohn told it all : GITS had good reviews in Europe, it fell after the embargo in America was lifted, that's not a coincidence, that's also the only country where people care about whitewashing in movies.

The RT average was always very weak. It was going to drop no matter what.

Just now, Jonwo said:

$25m tops, maybe even lower. Sony really messed up releasing a family film just a week after another family film.

Thinking anywhere from $20M-$30M for Smurfs, Easter may help it out.

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

Why are GITS fans even comparing it to PR in the first place? PR did the number about what it was expect too. It was GITS that was susposed to be a major hit,but is not.

scarjo was beaten by singing movie director, a drug dealing tv dad, and 5 unknown actors

Just now, alisson23 said:

The consensus appeared BEFORE the American embargo was lifted. And they would never put such a thing in the consensus.

But is "white washing" the main complaint from American critics?

I thought the storytelling was considered mediocre outside of the visuals.

• Like 1

While I do agree that activism is necessary, especially in these days that we're living in. The thing is becoming a mess, only this year we already had the Dog's controversy, everybody jumping in the hate train thanks to an edited video, and now this GITS mess, I mean, if the people that should be pissed with this situation (Japanese), understands why they choose Scarlett, why the hell an American critic would bother about it? This is just ridiculous.

• Like 2