WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

5 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

That feel when professional critics like a Power Rangers movie more than a Ghost in the Shell movie. I'm not sure what that feel exactly is, but it's weird.

Charm vs charmless, heart vs heartless, soul vs souless

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

Just now, Valonqar said:

Charm vs charmless, heart vs heartless, soul vs souless

Opinions, man. 

I agree with you, but I would switch the movies.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Problem is, they get a smaller ammount of money from overseas markets. Unfortunately, domestic grosses are still very important. By the way, GITS is more expensive than PR.

One possible plus for GITS would be being popular in Japan/South korea those 2 market seem to be very similar to the domestic market for studio blockbuster in retention rate (close to 50%) I think and I suspect for home media, they spend a lot on marketing in those. At least that was the case for Sony (maybe it is doing better in Japan than other studios that I do not know), it can change a little bit for title/box office total, but that was was the expected average retention rate by market for Sony in 2014.

Ranked by retention rate: Studio share of the box office / raw box office:

Japan 47%
South Korea 47%
Germany 44%
Spain 44%
Belgium 43%
Switzerland 42%
Russia 42%
Austria 42%
Italy 41%
Australia 41%
Brazil 40%
Netherlands 40%
UK 40%
France 39%
Mexico 37%
China 25%

By profit margin of the theatrical release alone, (Studio share of the box office - marketing - prints) / Raw box office, China is not a bad deal at all once considering the almost free releasing

Switzerland 29%
Netherlands 28%
Austria 27%
Belgium 26%
UK 23%
Australia 22%
Russia 22%
Germany 22%
China 21%
S. Korea 19%
France 19%
Japan 15%
Spain 13%
Mexico 13%
Brazil 13%
Italy 11%

Average for the biggest market:

Retention rate: 40% (the number used by deadline)

Profit margin: 20% 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Not as bad as mine is. I went high on GitS and way low on Boss Baby.

Spot on for GITS, off but no too much for Beast, way low for BB (if heading to $45M+), everything else seems fine.

Man didn't realize GITS is ScarJo's first rotten movie on RT since He's Just Not That Into You. Still looking forward to checking it out. Haven't been to the theaters since Kong and I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who had no interest in BATB. 

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Makes you wonder what a well crafted Dragon Ball Z action epic could do.

I'm pretty sure it make double what GitS does.

I can see +$35-40m OW if the studio will choose appropriate actors to play DBZ.

Edited by KevinPr

28 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Anime fans hoping for the first great anime adaptation.

zDL6yP5.gif

It's the case, too many reviews blasted it because of whitewashing, and many people don't see this as a drawback and think it's not a valid point.

People who don't care about that liked it :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Man didn't realize GITS is ScarJo's first rotten movie on RT since He's Just Not That Into You. Still looking forward to checking it out. Haven't been to the theaters since Kong and I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who had no interest in BATB. 

She's a supporting character in He's Just Not That Into You. If I only count the main characters that she has played, GitS is her first rotten movie on RT since the Nanny Diaries. And Nanny Diaries was released in 2007.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

It's the case, too many reviews blasted it because of whitewashing, and many people don't see this as a drawback and think it's not a valid point.

People who don't care about that liked it :)

In Europe movies are not reviewed like that, that is why it had a good RT score before the American embargo lifted. Even Japanese people were very happy with the casting. But America has to America itself.

• Like 1