WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 minute ago, Momo said:

I don't see it getting close to 100M at this point. 80-90 more likely now. Unless it plays in theaters for a long while like Tarzan.(Unlikely)

Hopefully it does well in Asia.  

Just now, SchumacherFTW said:

Well, I guess that GITS number pretty much halts Akira in its tracks for now. 

Pretty much.  Wouldn't be able to bring it live action since it's so complex to explain it live.

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

True. Still around too bigly. Mark Wahlberg and Liam Neeson been making the same kinda shit for ten years. Box office has greatly diminished for it, so who knows. 

Also, Daddy's Home 2 is coming out with Mark Wahlberg and his father Mel Gibson. Apparently the action marketplace dried up so they've taken over mediocre family comedies. 

The Dom did it before it was cool.

imagejpeg

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Scarlett will be fine. This was just an ill-conceived project from the beginning.

I'm guessing, between the Snow White/Kristen Stewart cheating scandal a few years back and now this, we won't be seeing Rupert Sanders get another major gig like this ever again.

Lol, one L after the other for Rupert since the affair blew up, people say he didn't face any consequences like KStew but nearly 5 years later, look at where she is professionally (much more respected than in her SWatH days) compared to him. Also his wife was very shortly his ex wife, and now current wife of Jimmy Iovine. Though on the bright side I guess Sanders isn't stuck paying alimony!

To bring it back to movies, I'll always wonder how the Huntsman franchise might have turned out if they'd been able to follow their original plans for Part 2 with Snow White, it wasn't the next great Cinematic Universe but it probably wouldn't have flopped so badly.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Wow, I mixed up Rupert Sanders (Snow White) with Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes).

I was so confused how the director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes could direct such a weak GitS movie.

Feel slightly better now since I'm rooting for Wyatt though I wish he really did direct GitS.

I'm confident with the proper writers Wyatt could've hit a home run GitS movie.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Momo said:

question for movie number guys or girls... what's more important to a studio? the number a movie reaches in the us or it's total ww?

DOM is only part of the equation.

WW paints a fuller picture whether a film will eventually be profitable.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Wow, I mixed up Rupert Sanders (Snow White) with Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes).

I was so confused how the director of Rise of the Planet of the Apes could direct such a weak GitS movie.

Feel slightly better now since I'm rooting for Wyatt though I wosh he really dod direct GitS.

I'm confident with the proper writers Wyatt could've hit a home run GitS movie.

Lol same. Wyatt hasn't made very films since ROTPOA, other then that Wahlberg Gambler remake, and an upcoming sci-fi called Captive State.

• Like 1

In case I've missed some kind of aggressive negotiation here I just want to remind you that the amount of beer/wine you drank on BatB-weekend was the right amount. 

Be careful with your drinking. 

1 hour ago, Momo said:

lol... why am the only rational pr fan around right now.. all we got are clowns like this tonight.

I can't be online all the time :P

Anyway... yeeeeeeeeeah. Terrible number for PR. Probably safe to say the ship has sailed. $90m domestic is still possible, $100m might be a long shot.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say its performance is going to get the TV show cancelled, but the film series is almost certainly dead in the water.

I mean I liked the movie too. Didn't think it was GREAT. Mostly wanted a sequel to see how/if they would improve it. My focus is mainly on the gloriously goofy TV show so unless the movie's failure somehow gets that cancelled then I'll be only mildly depressed :P

If the show does get cancelled though, none of you should come looking for me. I'll be in the deepest, darkest cave I can find cursing Lionsgate with my every breath.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-weekend-box-office-1202056616/

3rd Update, Friday 11:48 PM: This weekend will belong to DreamWorks Animation as their 34th title The Boss Baby will cash an opening weekend check of $50.5M at 3,773 theaters via 20th Century Fox. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast isn’t far behind in second with $47.5Mper industry estimates. Some believed that this would be a close battle for No. 1 all weekend long, however, the stats currently indicate there isn’t bound to be an influx among the Disney princess die-hards during matinees; Alec Baldwin’s tough guy baby will be the last man standing. Not doing the most is Ghost in the Shell from DreamWorks/Reliance/Paramount with a lower than expected three-day of $20.9M at 3,440 locations and a listless B CinemaScore. We’ll do an autopsy on that cyborg movie in a bit.

Australia was indicating well over 40m for TBB

BatB will come in above 48m

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 2