WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 minute ago, Alli said:

In the past, a 20M opening was proof of an actor's star power. How much is these days?

It depends on how much the movie cost in my opinion. The more the film cost, the more promo the studio likely spent on it and the more the studio is expecting it to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

In the past, a 20M opening was proof of an actor's star power. How much is these days?

That 20M is more like 40M today. Just like 300M is now 400M.

• Like 1

Here a question...Can we skip next weekend thread? BB going up against Smurfs. It's like going up against Barney or Teletubbies. I think it's a given who will win on the 7th. lol

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think STX is fucked, but they need to make some wiser decisions. Bad Moms, TBBM, The Gift, and The Boy made them a fuckload of money, but duds like Space Between Us or Free State of Jones and poor marketing/release date choices like Edge of Seventeen are what can and could kill them. The Europacorp deal can make them a lot of money if The Circle and Valerian do well enough, but Europa is such an unreliable studio. Basically, they need to hope Bad Moms Christmas can repeat the success the first had and that Molly's Game gains a lot of Oscar buzz.

Edited by WrathOfHan

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Why are people acting like Joy got trashed by critics? It got average reviews for an average movie. The studio tried to sell it as Oscar bait but Oscar material it was not. However it's not like it was trashed by critics either. 

I didin't say it was trashed. I said it was unsuccessful (for a oscar bait, of course.)

Edited by alisson23

5 minutes ago, Momo said:

Here a question...Can we skip next weekend thread? BB going up against Smurfs. It's like going up against Barney or Teletubbies. I think it's a given who will win on the 7th. lol

Next weekend's openers feel like total nonfactors. Smurfs should do well in theory, but I feel like those crappy live-action movies pretty much used up whatever goodwill the property had. Going in Style's marketing campaign asks "where are the laughs?"

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

If Zookeepers wife has a Woman in Gold run that would be great. Only hope it's as good as that film was. 

I think it will. It opened around where Woman in Gold did and with expansion it can probably leg it out to $30M domestic. Not bad in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Passengers was a shining example of how reviews can totally crush buzz and hype for a film. 

There was 0 hype even before the reviews hit the web.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

There were people saying it was Oscar contender and a shoo in for 200 mil before the reviews

I thought it would make 200m before the ads failed to build hype.

JLaw and Pratt in a romance sounds great on paper, but it didn't materialize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

There were people saying it was Oscar contender and a shoo in for 200 mil before the reviews

It did get a few nominations :ph34r:

Spoiler

Seriously though, there were rumors that Passengers was no good months before the release.

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

It did get a few nominations :ph34r:

Hide contents

Seriously though, there were rumors that Passengers was no good months before the release.

I know. People are dumb though

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

I thought it would make 200m before the ads failed to build hype.

JLaw and Pratt in a romance sounds great on paper, but it didn't materialize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had it around 130