WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

Just now, Jonwo said:

Doubt Peter Rabbit will do that well, $100-110m if it's lucky 

Around Hop is the minimum, PR is well known and has numerous books/merchandise. The only family competition it'll have is WIR2 (which I think may be another Lego Batman/Dragon 2) and at this point I think Anubis is moving. Even if Goosebumps 2 is moved to 2019, HT3 should do around $140M domestic, and Spider-Man could surprise us and do anywhere from $150M-$250M domestic.

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

PR is doing pretty decently given the financial risk taken on. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do another -- it makes sense for Saban, certainly. 

True. However, I don't think the OS territories will buy into it again. Its overseas numbers are terrible.

All in all Power Rangers and GITS flopped as *most* expected. Logan WOM made it overperform. BATB smashed and I think most expected Boss Baby to do well. Kong will break even, instead of bombing..which is good 

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

PR is doing pretty decently given the financial risk taken on. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do another -- it makes sense for Saban, certainly. 

Lionsgate is going to have to take on more of the risk in the budget for a sequel.  Those international sales are not going to be as good for them as it was when The Hunger Games was in the theaters: not after Gods of Egypt, Allegiant, and now Power Rangers at the international box office.  At some point, those people Lionsgate are selling to internationally are going to want better terms, especially if they don't want another underperformer internationally.

4 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Maybe, but it would probably require a dramatic decrease in budget. This isn't gonna make much more than the second Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which itself dropped by more than half from the first film.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If GI Joe got a sequel then I wouldn't rule out PR2.

Plus Lionsgate and Saban are probably pretty desperate at this point.

GI Joe at least had toy sales as an excuse. PR doesn't really have that pleasure. 

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

GI Joe at least had toy sales as an excuse. PR doesn't really have that pleasure. 

Are the movie's toy sales not good? PR has a long history of toy sales keeping the brand alive when the show itself couldn't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Lionsgate is going to have to take on more of the risk in the budget for a sequel.  Those international sales are not going to be as good for them as it was when The Hunger Games was in the theaters: not after Gods of Egypt, Allegiant, and now Power Rangers at the international box office.  At some point, those people Lionsgate are selling to internationally are going to want better terms, especially if they don't want another underperformer internationally.

Yeah, the OS numbers are pretty brutual for it. I mean in comparison GITS has already made what 40M OS in just 32 markets or so. Lionsgate has to fine out what went wrong OS,because any way you slice it 32M or so OS in a two week total is bad.

• Like 2

Lionsgate's stake in Power Rangers was only around $55 million with their $25 million share of the budget and $30 million in marketing.  It's already made them over $10 million and will likely settle in with $80-90 million total DOM.  That's not a flop.  It's not a runaway success, but it's definitely not a flop.  So, yeah, it will come down to OS numbers.  The numbers so far haven't been good, but it also hasn't opened in the markets with the biggest potential yet.  Again, I think it can easily break $200 million WW.  Not a runaway success, but definitely not a flop and definitely enough for Lionsgate to try again. A second, better movie could definitely take off more than this first movie has, especially if it focuses on the Green Ranger, which is the franchise's ace in the hole.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

$110m isn't big for heavily effects driven film.  Passengers costs that much.  Passengers was more top heavy with star salary ($32.5m) but Scarlett at $17.5 wasn't cheap either.

Lucy, smaller scale than GitS cost $70m+.  The $40m often reported is wrong and stems from a bad conversion from the budget in 2013 Euros.

I agree. But what was the anticipated market for GitS? Even with the critical torching I think Sony was on the right track with Passengers. The holiday release date, the recent track record of films like Gravity and The Martian, the space romance aspect, the stars. The idea box office-wise was corrrect even if it took some crazy turns and could been executed better. Pasengers with a normal RT score, something in the 50s or low 60s, would have been very interesting, and there was enough to survive a nasty critical hit job. I cannot say the same thing about GitS.