WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I, too, think chi-shit needs to be tagged for 3 hours

Reveal hidden contents

It's not that the concept of the content isn't dark, it's that the whole movie is goofy enough that the material is presented as essentially entertainment as opposed to being something truly dark (IMO).

As an example: FRIDAY 13th features completely savage and brutal serial-killing of (often) under-age innocents -- I wouldn't call it dark at all.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Telerian said:

It's not that the concept of the content isn't dark, it's that the whole movie is goofy enough that the material is presented as essentially entertainment as opposed to being something truly dark (IMO).

As an example: FRIDAY 13th features completely savage and brutal serial-killing of (often) under-age innocents -- I wouldn't call it dark at all.

I disagree with you entirely on that. Blanks was saying similar stuff in his review, and I really don't see where you guys are coming from. Just because it's a supernatural movie doesn't make those themes played for entertainment purposes IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I disagree with you entirely on that. Blanks was saying similar stuff in his review, and I really don't see where you guys are coming from. Just because it's a supernatural movie doesn't make those themes played for entertainment purposes IMO.

Maybe it's the fact I didn't find it scary (or even particularly disturbing). But sure, we'll disagree.

12 minutes ago, Telerian said:

the material is presented as essentially entertainment as opposed to being something truly dark (IMO).

Yeah that's one of my lingering problems with the movie. At first I actually didn't believe the flashbacks implied what they very obviously implied because it was so tonally jarring. I was like, "It can't be going there, can it?" Certainly not opposed to mainstream movies bringing up things like that but I don't think Split ever bridged the gap between that and McAvoy as a child doing Kanye. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telerian said:

So basically...if Split had blood and boobies...rated R.  Tone wasn't enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Outside of Shyamalan talking about Hooters and 9 year old McAvoy quips, Split is pretty damn dark, yo!

lmao what? Split is halfway there to being a full-fledged comedy. People on my screening laughed multiple times, as did I. Most of the time the humor was intentional, too.

Edited by Goffe

9 minutes ago, Goffe said:

lmao what? Split is halfway there to being a full-fledged comedy. People on my screening laughed multiple times, as did I. Most of the time the humor was intentional, too.

This aint The Visit breh.