WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Obviously what you are saying is absolutely true, but isn't it clear that at the moment we have too many kiddie flicks, too many dumb actioners and too few serious/original sci-fi thrillers? Quality movies (and not just original sci-fi) have been suffering for years. The Hurt Locker didn't make any money, There Will Be Blood made very little, Hell or High Water made very little, Sicario just a few bucks, even Edge of Tomorrow (with Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt and spectacular action) made very little for its scope and genre. While generic, rehashed offerings such as Dory, F7 and BatB and Jurassic World made billions...

Personally, I'd prefer more original SF but if these existing properties keep generating tons of money, it's very easy for the studios to keep green-lighting them. And one person's "dumb actioner" is another's "fun time".

• Like 4

Some people use here the term "locked"  in a very easily way.

Last weekend i said that i didn´t see it very clearly that BATB will reach 500 million and some users got little mad...

One of the few locked things i know in film industry is won´t be Back to the future IV while Zemeckis and Gale will be alive. (happily!)

• Like 1

After all that, this March only mustered up $1.166b? That completely obliterates any other March, but it just felt like more with hit after hit after hit, plus the holdovers. Still, 2017 is off to a promising pace, monetary and attendance wise.

Edited by jandrew

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

After all that, this March only mustered up $1.166b? That completely obliterates any other March, but it just felt like more with hit after hit after hit, plus the holdovers. Still, 2017 is off to a promising pace, monetary and attendance wise.

Corrected your little mishap :P Also I made a post about this yesterday March 2017 and the prospects of July 2017.

#ShamelessSelfPromotion :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Personally, I'd prefer more original SF but if these existing properties keep generating tons of money, it's very easy for the studios to keep green-lighting them. And one person's "dumb actioner" is another's "fun time".

Plus they might decide since they're making so much money they might have an extra $100m to throw at original sci fi. 

Generic family movies make all the money? Well no shit Sherlock! It's just simple logic and math. A movie like Finding Dory, Beauty and the BEAST or a Star Wars/Avengers movie hits all 4 quadrants. Logically, it's going to make a lot of money because the audience size is huge. 

You can't expect a movie like Hell or High Water to be a huge blockbuster. This isn't about one kind of movie succeeding or being preferred over the other. It's simply about the size of the audience.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

BatB having no summer weekdays will end up hurting it.

BatB will be just fine. If we're talking mega hit vs mega MEGA hit then okay, no summer weekdays is hurting it...

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

If you are right (which is probably the case) then Paramount should have made sure that GitS had more action in order to sell to general audiences. As for The Martian, that movie's success is still a mystery to me, it was dull/dumb as hell. 

Botany Powers

Edited by Ozymandias