The Wild Eric

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

20 minutes ago, franfar said:

I called it. Smurfs would bomb and do worse than the 2nd film.

The Smurf brand has been seriously damaged.

I wonder what that means for Spider-man Homecoming.

Edited by grey ghost

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Did you guys miss the part where both Smurfs 2 and ASM2 did poorly financially and critically? :kitschjob:

However, Spider-Man being in Civil War and having Iron Man helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Did you guys miss the part where both Smurfs 2 and ASM2 did poorly financially and critically? :kitschjob:

No. Just like I didn't miss that Spider-Man is still widely popular, the highlight of CW for a lot of people, and has a consistent cartoon on television. I know we get locked in our movie bubble, but Spider-Man has had more media outlet since ASM2 to make people forget about ASM2. He's even been in another movie since then.

• Like 1

Smurfs prod budget is only 60. If it can open to 12-13, it has a shot at 40-45 as this demographics can give a leggy run (3.5x multiplier).

It will be upto OS to salvage it then.

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Smurfs prod budget is only 60. If it can open to 12-13, it has a shot at 40-45 as this demographics can give a leggy run (3.5x multiplier).

It will be upto OS to salvage it then.

OS isn't much better, it's being slaughtered by The Boss Baby in many markets. 

I wonder how SPA got the budget to $60m when HT2 cost $80m. I'm guessing the tax credit from Vancouver helped.

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

OS isn't do much better, it's being slaughtered by The Boss Baby in many markets. 

I wonder how SPA got the budget to $60m when HT2 cost $80m. I'm guessing the tax credit from Vancouver helped.

Smurfs either should have counter-programmed against F8 (and Sparks isn't releasing very wide), or should have opened the weekend after F8.

• Like 1