kayumanggi

THE BRIDE! | 10.03.2025 | Warner Bros. | Maggie Gyllenhaal directs | Christian, Jessie Buckley, Peter Sarsgaard, Annette Bening, and Penelope Cruz star

Gal Gadot as ‘Bride of Frankenstein’? Director Bill Condon Proposes Her If Angelina Jolie Exits (Exclusive)

Director Bill Condon already has his next “Bride of Frankenstein” in mind if Angelina Jolie splits up with the delayed project — and it’s “Wonder Woman” herself, Gal Gadot, insiders tell TheWrap.

https://www.thewrap.com/bride-frankenstein-gal-gadot-bill-condon-angelina-jolie/

COndon might just be talking the piss after seeing the project put in deep freeze.

He wants Gadot. So does just about every producer in Hollywood at this point. Gadot will be rumored for just about every big female role she is halfway suitable for. One thing is sure:Gadot is the hottest actress in Hollywood at the moment, which means her asking price is probably quite a bit more then Jolie's,and Universal will be watching the pennies on this one after The Mummy's budget went out of control.

Edited by dudalb

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One thing is sure:Gadot is the hottest actress in Hollywood at the moment, which means her asking price is probably quite a bit more then Jolie's,and Universal

Not so sure,  I imagine Hollywood became a bit prudent about actor having one big success in the superheroes genre by now, I mean she accepted a supporting role in a Max Landis script movie (not a bad project, Cooper has the co-star, White God was a really well received movie, but not is follow up Jupiter Moon) but what were the offer she said no too if that was the best out there ?

Studio are not making many movie these days (and many are sequel with roles already cast), studio female lead roles are even rarer.

Jolie is still a big deal for a worldwide release in an obvious casting for her like this and was not so long ago in the 20m + 10% or more first dollar gross deal club, she is probably still above actor with one success in their filmography quote for a project like that.

Yeah, if Gadot's asking price goes too high she might not even land any jobs. Jolie has a much bigger name recognition and has a legit track box office track record going back 15 years. I think the simplest explanation that the script is shit is most probably the correct one in this case.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Seems to me to do "Bride of Frankenstein" without a "Frankenstein" film first was always questionable.

I think the only reason they are even making this is because of the iconography. The hairstyle of the bride is instantly recognizable thanks to decades of pop culture references. Its trading on nostalgia like most franchises now.

I think the entire universe had an outdated 'middle aged' feel :

Cruise (55 years) & paunchy Russell (53 years) along with a much younger female lead in Mummy looked pathetic.

Then Depp (54 years) and Bardem (48 years) don't give off a fresh energetic vibe, though I like both of them.

Jolie at 42 years was the youngest star name attached to the universe so far.

Was a conscious decision on the producer's part I think, to go with respected names that have been around longer to cut across demographics and attract grown ups too. Surprised Tom Hanks wasn't thrown in :nudgewink:.

I appreciate them regrouping. 

Of course, if this was the fifth film in a franchise, they'd push on anyway and get only 800$m world wide.

Interestingly enough, an old man building a somewhat younger woman to be his bride is the only concept where the casting makes sense here.

50 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think the entire universe had an outdated 'middle aged' feel :

Was not a bad idea, young audience are harder and harder to get in theater while the above 50 is booming:

http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/research/surveys_statistics/life-leisure/2017/50plus-moviegoer-res-life.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/02/youth-focused-blockbusters-older-audiences-independent-films-arthouses

And they have an appetite for big action movie that is not necessarily well answered by Hollywood (more than 50% of the audience for Jack Reacher, Equalizer, Tombstone, Taken 3 were over 50 year's old).

It is also a segment were a big budget actionner would have less competition (to those huge 300m superheroes movies)

Doing a major blockbuster franchise aiming at that audience, with old star they like seem like a good idea, now obviously the execution need to deliver.

Edited by Barnack

Leave it to Hollywood to try to appeal to the demographic that can't get jobs, thus can't get money and go to their movies / know partially how to use review aggregate sites.

In a summer stuffed with blockbusters aimed at young audience, arthouse films appeal to an older demographic because the stars reflect the audiences

I can't be mad at that, though. The closer your stars are to your audience, the more likely said audience will pay to see it.