baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

toy-story-hotel.jpg

3 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I cannot post pictures...anyone know how to fix this?

If you can copy the image url, you can paste it and insert it using the "insert other media" button on the bottom right of the edit box.

I saw the top five movies in the theater as a kid, but there is one 1995 disappointment that was the go-to movie for all of my friends and me:

Power Rangers was EVERYTHING to us. It's all we talked about, we had every action figure, and watched the show religiously. We all loved this movie at the time. Now, I can look back and see how fucking terrible it is, but it sure made me happy as an eight year old.

Despite it being the #1 kids show on television, it only made $38 million at the box office. 

• Like 2

Toy Story was the first film I saw in the cinema and thus holds a lot of value for me. I can vaguely remember as a 3 year old being wowed by what I saw on the screen. The film become an instant favorite and I had it on VHS and watched it all the time as a kid. 

34 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I saw the top five movies in the theater as a kid, but there is one 1995 disappointment that was the go-to movie for all of my friends and me:

Power Rangers was EVERYTHING to us. It's all we talked about, we had every action figure, and watched the show religiously. We all loved this movie at the time. Now, I can look back and see how fucking terrible it is, but it sure made me happy as an eight year old.

Despite it being the #1 kids show on television, it only made $38 million at the box office. 

I loved Power Rangers growing up (still kinda do). I wasn't old enough to see the film in the cinemas, but I did have the VHS growing-up and I remember me and my brother watched it again and again. Obviously the 90's CGI is terrible and the movie is shit, but it holds some nostalgia for me regardless.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Pocahontas was considered a disappointment for Disney, they were grooming it as a potential Oscar contender for Best Picture. 

I'm surprised Toy Story cost $30m, that was cheaper than Pocahontas and The Lion King. It's such a great film though. 

GoldenEye IMO is the best of the Brosnan films and it came when many people thought it was a relic of the Cold War and actually proved to be a successful reinvention.

It's amazing how Apollo 13 did in the heart of summer but I suppose back then, studio could risk films like this especially as Hanks was coming off from the success of Forrest Gump

I believe the primitive early computers and the fact that it was the first CGI animated film was a big reason as to why Toy Story didn't cost so much.

Apollo 13 is a great example of how older adult films could be successfully sold based off who starred in them. A concept that seems almost dead these days.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chaz said:

It cost $15m and made $66m WW so it made a nice profit. I imagine for Haim Saban and Toei, it was a great way to sell more toys and promote the TV series. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I believe the primitive early computers and the fact that it was the first CGI animated film was a big reason as to why Toy Story didn't cost so much.

Apollo 13 is a great example of how older adult films could be successfully sold based off who starred in them. A concept that seems almost dead these days.

Considering how badly development went mostly due to Katzenberg's medding, it's a miracle they managed to turn things around

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It cost $15m and made $66m WW so it made a nice profit. I imagine for Haim Saban and Toei, it was a great way to sell more toys and promote the TV series. 

Also to save costs and follow the sentai, they basically redid the film for the third season, only involving Lord Vile (Rita's father) & Ninjor, so it wasn't a complete waste.

I'll give the film this, in spite of its problems, it does look "theatrical". The rangers costumes themselves got a makeover, so you can now see their faces inside the helmet, something that they tried again in the recent film reboot.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Considering how badly development went mostly due to Katzenberg's medding, it's a miracle they managed to turn things around

Yeah just imagine if Katzenberg had his way then Woody would have been a complete asshole & unlikable. In many it could have been a pretty good predecessor to what he would try to do with Dreamworks animation early on.

I think it goes without saying that Tom Hanks was the ultimate star of the 90's. Had it not been for That thing You Do, he would have had 10 films in a row gross over 100m domestically. I'm honestly surprised that Apollo 13 didn't earn more money coming so soon after Forrest Gump. 

23 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think the main reason would be knowing their limitation, using Toys and all clean solid setup (that are much much more easier to animate and render than organics stuff/fur/hair/water and going with the very irrealistic plastic look for human matching them), and a bit like normal movie doing so much of the movie in the same room saved a lot on cost. You see the movie limitation versus something even cheap of today in that first Toy story. It could have costed much less than that without the issues.

And that was 1995 money, almost 50m now, Sausage party was 19m, Angry bird 73m, Minions 74m.

Edited by Barnack

6 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah just imagine if Katzenberg had his way then Woody would have been a complete asshole & unlikable. In many it could have been a pretty good predecessor to what he would try to do with Dreamworks animation early on.

The oft mentioned Black Friday where with the disastrous test screening saved the film and actually taught the Pixar team a valuable lesson.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I think the main reason would be knowing their limitation, using Toys (that are much much more easier to animated and render than organics stuff and going with the very irrealistic plastic look for human matching them), and a bit like normal movie doing so much of the movie in the same room saved a lot on cost. You see the movie limitation versus something even cheap of today in that first Toy story. It could have costed much less than that without the issues.

And that was 1995 money, almost 50m now, Sausage party was 19m, Angry bird 73m, Minions 74m.

Sausage Party, Angry Bird, & Minions were made much more on the cheap though, and were outsourced as well. Something like Toy Story was more expensive for its time and obviously a risk. It paid off handsomely though thankfully.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The oft mentioned Black Friday where with the disastrous test screening saved the film and actually taught the Pixar team a valuable lesson.  

I've seen the rough animation cells for the original test-screening, and while the film could still have been good, it would have been way less audience-friendly. Glad they changed it.

1995 was a pretty great year too, Se7en is such an amazing movie, so freaking scary, there is a scene that gives me chills just thinking of it, and of Course Toy Story is dear to me, feel like my enjoyment was The Usual suspects was dampened a bit by having the end spoiled for me, but still a great movie, need to watch it again, Singer is actually one of my all time favorite directors, like I even really liked X-Men Apocalypse. 

Pocahontas is a very nostalgic film for me as well, I know not everybody loves it, but I always found it a pretty underrated Disney film, and it has one of the best Disney songs ever. also it is the first animated film I distinctly remember watching in theaters. 

• Like 1

1996:

The disaster film year

Two Cruise missiles

Bay and Biehn and Connery oh my

The movie that brought a genre of film back from the grave.....so go down to the Mackenzie's house and call the police

• Like 1