baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

I love success stories like Crocodile Dundee. A movie that literally comes out of nowhere and takes the box office by storm. There's another movie coming on in 2002 that kind of hit that as well.

Will try to get 1987 done tonight.

Thanks to all who have read so far.  It's been edifying and enlightening doing this.  I'm learning a lot. :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, baumer said:

Will try to get 1987 done tonight.

Thanks to all who have read so far.  It's been edifying and enlightening doing this.  I'm learning a lot. :)

We are all learning a lot too. This is one of the best threads on the site.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

And @baumer believe it or not in 1986, Paramount was disappointed with The Golden Child's run as it didn't gross like what Beverly Hills Cop did.

That doesn't surprise me. I didn't spend a lot of time doing research on The Golden Child because I was getting tired at that point LOL. But I remember seeing it when it came out and I remember absolutely nothing about it. So it doesn't surprise me that it didn't do that well. But still finish in the top 10 is a pretty good results.

This year was the first year in history to have the top twenty films all gross more than 50 million dollars.  The top four films all made more than 100 million, which wasn't a record as there were two years previous that had five eclipse the magic number.  The number one film was a complete shock, Arnold Schwarzenegger had his biggest hit of his career, Michael Douglas scored a huge hit and Police Academy had another chapter open to number one.

Finishing first for the year was the unlikely hit starring two huge TV stars and a Police Academy veteran.  

Three Men and a Baby was directed by Leonard Nimoy, and stars Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, Ted Danson and Nancy Travis. It follows the mishaps and adventures of three bachelors as they attempt to adapt their lives to pseudo-fatherhood with the arrival of the love child of one of them. The script was based on the 1985 French film Trois hommes et un couffin (Three Men and a Cradle).

The film was the biggest American box office hit of that year, surpassing Fatal Attraction and eventually grossing US$170 million in the US alone. The film won the 1988 People's Choice Award for Favorite Comedy. Although a surprise number one, the studio must of had confidence in it as they gave it an 18 million dollar budget which was quite large for a comedy.

Image result for three men and a baby

The film was generally well received and even Roger Ebert, a tougher critic in the 80's than he was in the 2000's, gave a positive review.  

It was notable for the Walt Disney Studios since it was the first production from the studio to gross over $100 million domestically.

Coming in at number two is one of the more iconic films from the 80's, Fatal Attraction.  Fatal Attraction is a psychological thriller directed by Adrian Lyne and written by James Dearden. It is based on Dearden's 1980 short film Diversion. Starring Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, and Anne Archer, the film centers on a married man who has a weekend affair with a woman who refuses to allow it to end and becomes obsessed with him.

The film was a massive box office hit, finishing as the second highest-grossing film of 1987 in the United States and the highest-grossing film of the year worldwide. Critics were enthusiastic about the film, and it received six Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture (which it lost to The Last Emperor), Best Actress for Close, and Best Supporting Actress for Archer. Both lost to Cher and Olympia Dukakis, respectively, for Moonstruck.

Image result for fatal attraction

Budgeted at 14 million, it went on to gross 156 million domestically and 320 million world wide, making Douglas and Close household names.  Douglas was already a star at this point but this tipped the scale even more.  

And if you think the PC police is just a new phenomenon, think again.  Some feminists lost their fucking minds with this film.  After its release, Fatal Attraction sparked much discussion of the potential consequences of infidelity. Some feminists, meanwhile, did not appreciate what they felt was the depiction of a strong career woman who is at the same time psychopathic. Feminist Susan Faludi discussed the film in Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women, arguing that major changes had been made to the original plot in order to make Alex wholly negative, while Dan's carelessness and the lack of compassion and responsibility raised no discussion, except for a small number of fundamentalist men's groups who said that Dan was eventually forced to own up to his irresponsibility in that "everyone pays the piper".

The film has also left an indelible impression on male viewers. Close was quoted in 2008 as saying, "Men still come up to me and say, 'You scared the shit out of me.' Sometimes they say, 'You saved my marriage."  I can remember my drama teacher in grade 10 or 11 (forget what grade exactly), who was male, said he hated the film because it let off Dan easily.  Alex pays the ultimate price but Dan, the cheater, basically gets a slap on the wrist.  I personally just thought it was a good movie.

At number three was the sequel to the highest grossing comedy of all time, Beverly Hills Cop II.  Beverly Hills Cop II is an action comedy directed by Tony Scott, written by Larry Ferguson and Warren Skaaren. Murphy returns as Detroit police detective Axel Foley, who reunites with Beverly Hills detectives Billy Rosewood (Judge Reinhold) and John Taggart (John Ashton) to stop a robbery/gun-running gang after Captain Andrew Bogomil (Ronny Cox) is shot and seriously wounded.

Although it made less money than the first film and received mixed reviews from critics, the film was still a box office success, making $153.7 million domestically and 300 million WW on a good controlled budget of 20 million.  It also set the opening weekend record with a gross of 26 million.  

Although not as successful as the original, domestically, the film came within 16 million of making the same amount WW.  The international take increased from 81 million to 146 million.  

Image result for beverly hills cop 2

Some of you might ask where my "hatred" or mistrust of critics comes from.  Well, here is a microcosm of where it may have started.  Beverly Hills Cop II was one of my favourite movies of the 80's and I saw it in theaters 4 times.  It did really well with audiences and yet is a sample of what some critics had to say about it...illustrating that a lot of them are out of touch with what the public likes.

Roger Ebert gave the film one star out of four and wrote, "What is comedy? That's a pretty basic question, I know, but Beverly Hills Cop II never thought to ask it." Janet Maslin of The New York Times wrote that the film is a skillful clone of the first film that can't match that one's novelty or excitement. Variety called it "a noisy, numbing, unimaginative, heartless remake of the original film." Sheila Benson of the Los Angeles Times wrote, "It's hard to believe that the group who came up with the hard, clean edges of Top Gun, sleek and unfeeling though it may have been, could make a picture as crude, as muddled, as destructo-Derbyish as this one.

The final film of the year to make more than 100 million is Robin Williams classic war time comedy, Good Morning Vietnam.  Good Morning, Vietnam is a military comedy-drama film written by Mitch Markowitz and directed by Barry Levinson.

Set in Saigon in 1965, during the Vietnam War, the film stars Robin Williams as a radio DJ on Armed Forces Radio Service, who proves hugely popular with the troops, but infuriates his superiors with what they call his "irreverent tendency". The story is loosely based on the experiences of AFRS radio DJ Adrian Cronauer.

Most of Williams' radio broadcasts were improvised. The film was a critical and commercial success; for his work in the film, Williams won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor. The film is number 100 on the list of the "American Film Institute's 100 Funniest American Movies".

Budgeted at 13 million it went on to gross 123 million in the US.  I don't have international figures for it but I would imagine it did well in many international markets.  

This was the first film where Robin Williams was recognized for his acting talent and not just his comedic tendencies.  

Image result for good morning vietnam

Number five for the year was the Cher vehicle, Moonstruck.  Moonstruck is a romantic comedy directed by Norman Jewison and written by John Patrick Shanley. It is about a widowed 37-year-old Italian-American woman (Cher) who falls in love with her fiancé's (Danny Aiello) estranged, hot-tempered younger brother (Nicolas Cage). Vincent Gardenia and Olympia Dukakis play supporting roles.

The film was released on December 16, 1987 in New York City, and then nationally on January 15, 1988. Receiving largely positive reviews from critics, it went on to gross $91.6 million at the North American box office.

Number six was another big hit for Paramount, The Untouchables.  The Untouchables is a gangster film directed by Brian De Palma, produced by Art Linson, written by David Mamet, and based on the book The Untouchables (1957). The film stars Kevin Costner, Charles Martin Smith, Andy Garcia, Robert De Niro, and Sean Connery. Ness forms the Untouchables team to bring Al Capone to justice during Prohibition. The Grammy Award-winning score was composed by Ennio Morricone.  The film grossed $106.2 million worldwide and received generally positive reviews from critics. It was nominated for four Academy Awards; Connery won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

Image result for untouchables

An interesting and funny story about the casting.  Brian De Palma met with Bob Hoskins to discuss the role of Al Capone in case De Niro, the director's first choice for the part, turned it down. When De Niro took the part, De Palma mailed Hoskins a check for £20,000 with a "Thank You" note, which prompted Hoskins to call up De Palma and ask him if there were any more movies he didn't want him to be in. Mickey Rourke turned down the lead role of Ness.

The Secret of My Success came in at number 7, solidifying Michael J. Fox as one of the big draws of the decade.  The budget in unconfirmed, but the range given is about 15 million and it went on to gross 110 million WW.  

Number 8 was one of my favourite films from 1987, Stakeout.  Stakeout is a crime-comedy directed by John Badham and starring Richard Dreyfuss, Emilio Estevez, Madeleine Stowe, Aidan Quinn, and Forest Whitaker. The screenplay was written by Jim Kouf, who won a 1988 Edgar Award for his work. Although the story is set in Seattle, Washington, the movie was filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia. A sequel, Another Stakeout, followed in 1993.

Image result for stake out movie

There are several reasons this film worked and I believe it's because the chemistry between veteran Richard Dreyfuss and the younger Emilio Estevez was off the charts.  They really clicked together.  There was also some good practical jokes played on one another and against and from two other detectives, one of them being a young Forrest Whitaker.  Madeline Stowe never looked better and her and Dreyfuss shared some steamy scenes together.  And then there were some of the subtle jokes....EASTER EGGS in a way.  One of them, and perhaps the best joke of the year, was when Chris and Bill are playing a movie line game.  Bill (Estevez) says to Chris..."Well this was not a boating accident..."  to which Chris replies..."I don't know".  Richard Dreyfuss of course said that line in JAWS.

Stakeout grossed 65.6 million dollars.

Coming in at number 9 was the film that started innocuously enough but would spawn 3 sequels and make Warner Brothers a pile of money.   Lethal Weapon is a buddy cop action film directed by Richard Donner, produced by Joel Silver, and written by Shane Black. It stars Mel Gibson and Danny Glover alongside Darlene Love, Gary Busey, and Mitchell Ryan. In Lethal Weapon, a pair of mismatched LAPD detectives – Martin Riggs, a former Green Beret who has become suicidal following the death of his wife, and Roger Murtaugh, a 50-year-old veteran of the force – work together as partners.

The film was released on March 6, 1987. Upon its release, Lethal Weapon grossed over $120 million WW against a production budget of $15 million, and it was nominated for Academy Award in the category of Best Sound. 

Recent UCLA graduate Shane Black wrote the screenplay in mid-1985. Black stated that his intention was to do an "urban western" inspired by Dirty Harry where a violent character "reviled for what he did, what he is capable of, the things he believed in" is eventually recruited for being the one that could solve the problem. The protagonists would be everymen policemen, "guys shuffling in a town like Los Angeles searching for something noble as justice when they're just guys in washed and worn suits seeking a paycheck".

According to Black, his original first draft of the script was very different and much darker than the final film. It was 140 pages long and both the plot and characters were different, and action scenes were also much bigger. The ending of the script contained a chase scene with helicopters and a trailer truck full of cocaine exploding over Hollywood Hills with cocaine snowing over the Hollywood sign. Black hated this first draft and initially discarded it but later picked it up again and re-wrote it into the new drafts that were eventually used for filming.

Related image

His agent sent the Lethal Weapon script to various studios, being rejected before Warner Bros. executive Mark Canton took a liking to it.  Canton brought along producer Joel Silver, who loved the story and worked with Black to further develop the script. Director Richard Donner also brought in writer Jeffrey Boam to do some uncredited re-writes on Black's script after he found parts of it to be too dark. Boam mostly added some more humor into the script, and later did a complete re-write of Shane Black and Warren Murphy's rejected script for the second film. He also wrote the script for the third film and an unused draft for the fourth film.

After the script was purchased for $250,000, studio production executives offered it to director Richard Donner, who also loved it. Leonard Nimoy was one of the choices considered for directing, but he did not feel comfortable doing action films, and he was working on Three Men and a Baby at the time.  With those key elements in place, the search began for the right combination of actors to play Riggs and Murtaugh.

Mel Gibson was invited by Richard Donner as he was interested in working with the actor after Ladyhawke. Casting director Marion Dougherty first suggested teaming Gibson with Danny Glover, given Murtaugh had no set ethnicity in the script.  She arranged for Gibson to fly in from his home in Sydney while Glover was flown in from Chicago, where he was appearing in a play, to read through the script. According to a June 2007 Vanity Fair magazine article, Bruce Willis was considered for the Riggs role. This is referenced in the spoof of the Lethal Weapon films, Loaded Weapon 1. Bruce (as John McClane) appears after the villains attack the wrong beach residence, looking for the protagonist.

According to Donner, "It took about two hours and by the time we were done, I was in seventh heaven. They found innuendoes; they found laughter where I never saw it; they found tears where they didn't exist before; and, most importantly, they found a relationship — all in just one reading. So if you ask about casting... it was magical, just total dynamite."

Both Mel Gibson and Danny Glover loved the script and were signed by early spring 1986. Gibson and Glover then began an intensive two months of physical training and preparation. Meanwhile, the crucial role of Joshua was settled when Gary Busey asked for a chance to read for the part. An established star since his Academy Award-nominated performance in The Buddy Holly Story, Busey had not auditioned for a film in years. "I had butterflies," he said. "I'd never played a bad guy. And no one had seen me since I'd lost 60 pounds and got back into shape. But I decided to take the initiative in order to have the opportunity to work with Dick, Joel, Mel and Danny. I'm constantly looking for someone to pull the best performance out of me and any of those guys could. They even talked me into dyeing my hair!" In his E! True Hollywood Story biography, Busey says he was hired to play Joshua because they were looking for someone big and menacing enough to be a believable foe for Mel Gibson. Busey also credits the film for reviving his failing film career.

Lethal Weapon is also one of my favourite films of all time.

Number ten was the star studded film The Witches of Eastwick.  The Witches of Eastwick is a comedy-fantasy film based on John Updike's novel of the same name. Directed by George Miller, the film stars Jack Nicholson as Daryl Van Horne, alongside Cher, Michelle Pfeiffer and Susan Sarandon as the witches.  While it did well at the box office, taking in almost 64 million, it did come with a hefty price tag of 22 million.

Number 11 was also another big surprise.  Dirty Dancing is a romantic dance drama directed by Emile Ardolino and starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in the lead roles, as well as Cynthia Rhodes and Jerry Orbach.

Dirty Dancing became a massive box office hit. As of 2009, it has earned over $214 million worldwide. It was the first film to sell more than a million copies on home video, and the Dirty Dancing soundtrack created by Jimmy Ienner generated two multi-platinum albums and multiple singles, including "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", which won both the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original Song, and a Grammy Award for best duet. The film's popularity led to a 2004 prequel, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, as well as a stage version which has had sellout performances in Australia, Europe, and North America.

Oh, and the budget....6 million.

Director Ardolino was adamant that they choose dancers who could also act, as he did not want to use the "stand-in" method that had been used with Flashdance. For the female lead of Frances "Baby" Houseman, they chose the 26-year-old Jennifer Grey, daughter of the Oscar-winning actor and dancer Joel Grey, who, like her father, was a trained dancer. They then sought a male lead, initially considering 20-year-old Billy Zane, who had the visual look desired (originally the Johnny character was to be Italian and have a dark exotic look), but initial dancing tests when he was partnered with Grey did not meet expectations. The next choice was 34-year-old Patrick Swayze, who had been noticed for his roles in Grandview, U.S.A. and Red Dawn. He was a seasoned dancer, with experience from the Joffrey Ballet. The producers were thrilled with him, but his agent was opposed to the idea. However, Swayze read the script, liked the multi-level character of Johnny, and took the part anyway, and Johnny was changed from being Italian to Irish. Grey was initially not happy about the choice, as she and Swayze had had difficulty getting along on Red Dawn, but when they did their dancing screen test, the chemistry between them was obvious.

Image result for dirty dancing

Jennifer Grey and Swayze clashed multiple times on the set, before they could iron out their differences.  At one point she was even thinking of quitting the production.  The director had a closed door meeting with the two stars and they were able to mend some fences.  Their chemistry was terrific but it took some practise to make it all work.

The very famous scene where Johnny and Baby are practicing their dancing and they are crawling towards each other on the floor wasn't intended to be part of the film; they were just messing around and were warming up to do the real scene, but the director liked it so much he kept it in the film.  Also, In the scene where Johnny and Baby are practicing dancing, and she keeps laughing when he runs his arm down hers, it was not part of the scene; she was actually laughing and his frustration was genuine. They left it because it was effective. Her falling over in this scene was unplanned too.

Dirty Dancing (some of you might not care to read this part (not the sex thread) but it's a funny story to me, and a terrific memory..so oh well...my thread...) was also one of my early high school girlfriend's favourite movie.  I had the theatrical poster for it and she told me that if I gave her that poster, she would let me take her virginity.  I no longer have that poster of course.  And the song that we got busy to at first....She's Like the Wind, by Patrick Swayze. :)

Number 12 was a film that at one time was my number one film.  I had it better than JAWS at one point.  Predator is a science-fiction action film directed by John McTiernan. It stars Arnold Schwarzenegger as the leader of an elite special forces team who are on a mission to rescue hostages from guerrilla territory in Val Verde, the same fictional country that was mentioned in Commando. Kevin Peter Hall co-stars as the Predator, a technologically advanced form of extraterrestrial life secretly stalking and hunting the group. Predator was written by brothers Jim and John Thomas in 1985, under the working title of Hunter. Filming began in April 1986 and creature effects were devised by Stan Winston.  Jean Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the Predator.  He was fired a week into production. 

The film's budget was around $15 million. 20th Century Fox released it in the United States on June 12, 1987, where it grossed 59.7M. Initial critical reaction was mixed; criticism focused on the thin plot. In subsequent years, critics' attitudes toward the film became positive, and it has appeared on a number of "best of" lists. It spawned two sequels, Predator 2 (1990) and Predators (2010), and two crossover films with the Alien franchise, Alien vs. Predator (2004) and Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007). Another film, The Predator, is scheduled for 2018.

Image result for predator movie

Joel Silver first approached Arnold Schwarzenegger with the lead role. To play the elite band of soldiers, Silver searched for other larger-than-life men of action. Carl Weathers, who had been memorable as boxer Apollo Creed in the Rocky films was their first choice to play Dillon, while professional wrestler and former Navy UDT Jesse Ventura was hired for his formidable physique as Blain. Native Americans Sonny Landham and Richard Chaves, and African-American Bill Duke, who co-starred alongside Schwarzenegger in Commando, provided ethnic balance. As a favor to writer Shane Black, whose first screenplay had become Silver's blockbuster Lethal Weapon a few months earlier, Silver hired Black to play a supporting role in the film, which also allowed him to watch McTiernan direct.

Jean-Claude Van Damme was originally cast as the Predator creature, the idea being that the physical action star would use his martial arts skills to make the Predator an agile, ninja-esque hunter.When compared to Schwarzenegger, Weathers, and Ventura, actors known for their bodybuilding regimens, it became apparent a more physically imposing man was needed to make the creature appear threatening. Additionally, it was reported that Van Damme constantly complained about the monster suit being too hot, causing him to pass out. He also had allegedly voiced his reservations on numerous occasions regarding the fact he would not be appearing on camera without the suit. Additionally, the original design for the Predator was felt to be too cumbersome and difficult to manage in the jungle and, even with a more imposing actor, was felt to not provoke enough fear. As mentioned, JCVD was released.

Related image

Predator has gone on to be one of the most revered action films of all time.

Coming in at number 20 was the highest grossing stand up comedy of all time, Eddie Murphy's RAW.  It grossed 50 million theatrically, which adjusts to a ridiculous 111 million today.  

RAW is a stand up comedy from a different era.  It had a lot of homophobic jokes, sexism and even some racism.  But it was fucking funny as hell.  Along with Delirious, it cemented Eddie as one of if not the greatest stand up comic of all time.

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors came in at number 24.  What makes this notable is that this is a film that did incredible well especially since it was coming off the putrid part 2.  It stayed at number one or two for three weeks.  Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemption fame, produced it along with Wes Craven, who also provided the story.  The budget was a miniscule 4 million, meaning it made 10X it's budget.

Number 28 was the iconic The Lost Boys, which only made 32 million but has gone on to be considered one of the best vampire films ever made, certainly the most stylish.  

Image result for kiefer sutherland young lost boys

And finally at number 44 is is the fourth entry in the Police Academy series, Citizens on Patrol.  I only mention this film, not because of the total gross but because this was the fourth straight film to open at number one in the series.  It opened to 8.4 million but ended with only 28 million.  

This was 1987.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I'll refrain from commenting on a couple of movies. :) 

I really enjoy UNTOUCHABLES and for some reason I watched SECRET OF MY SUCCESS on video countless times. And of course PREDATOR and LETHAL WEAPON are classics.

Well, go ahead and comment.  This is about the box office.  For the MOST part, I try to keep my own opinions out of it.  So have at her.  :redcapes:

It's insane how big Three Men and a Baby was and it's incredible they've not remade it or done a third film. 

I'm surprised that Moonstruck made more than The Witches of Eastwick and that Witches was quite expensive for the time. Dirty Dancing's success doesn't surprise me but it was the film that propelled Patrick Swayze to stardom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

amazing that a James Bond movie  was only 20th of the year. It shows how much better the franchise started doing in the 90s

Bond was in its last legs in the Dalton era, the five year break, a change in actor and changing the tone helped Goldeneye a lot!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Nah, I'll just concentrate on the ones I liked. :) 

Let me tell you something, this world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, it's a very mean and nasty place and it will bring you to your knees if you let it.  :sadben:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It's insane how big Three Men and a Baby was and it's incredible they've not remade it or done a third film. 

I'm surprised that Moonstruck made more than The Witches of Eastwick and that Witches was quite expensive for the time. Dirty Dancing's success doesn't surprise me but it was the film that propelled Patrick Swayze to stardom

Dirty Dancing, at least to me, is one of the bigger surprises at the box office.

Just now, baumer said:

Dirty Dancing, at least to me, is one of the bigger surprises at the box office.

It tapped into the female demo quite successfully much like Grease a decade earlier. 

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

Dirty Dancing (some of you might not care to read this part (not the sex thread) but it's a funny story to me, and a terrific memory..so oh well...my thread...) was also one of my early high school girlfriend's favourite movie.  I had the theatrical poster for it and she told me that if I gave her that poster, she would let me take her virginity.  I no longer have that poster of course.  And the song that we got busy to at first....She's Like the Wind, by Patrick Swayze.

Not (I've Had) The Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warner :lol:

• Like 1