kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

Watched this....holy shit...this really was an ang Lee film? I mean this had no story/plot. Utter garbage. The villain was fucking lame as hell. Even the acting across the board bad to medicore except some moments of CGI will smith and will smith. 

This was made just to test the technology and nothing else.

This didn't feel like an auteur's vision. So amateurish. I can bet you if this exact movie was directed by someone not respected by critics and fan community it would have not gotten more than 10% on RT.

What a waste of time, talent and resources. 

Fuck this dumpster fire.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/box-office-bombs-2019-list-1202918753/

Gemini Man 
Paramount/Skydance
Total Loss: $111.1M

Any notion that studios should use the production shutdown to get junior execs to dig up old development projects is undone by the debacle of Gemini Man, a 1997 script that never got made despite attachments with Harrison Ford, Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery and Mel Gibson. Finally, Oscar-winning Life of Pi director Ang Lee decided to do it with Will Smith. Despite a $138 million production budget, the concept didn’t mesh well with the cutting-edge cinema technology at 120 frames per second in 4K 3D. The dual-role strategy, with a star playing the same person, might have been new in 1997, but we’ve seen it too many times; the de-aging technology worked better in The Irishman. Moviegoer interest nosedived when people started seeing more Gemini Man footage on social, and reviews registered at a low 21% on Rotten Tomatoes. Smith was coming off the huge hit Aladdin and he was about to soar in Bad Boys for Life. Domestic opening was $20.6M, too low for what this movie cost. Also, it didn’t help going up against Joker in its second weekend (which was at an awesome $55.9M at the time).

a shame since this movie rules so hard. i think the next move for Ang Lee is to make another small scale Taiwanese drama since those are some of his best films. try and go back to being an awards darling. if he can cope with shooting in a regular frame rate again.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

a shame since this movie rules so hard. i think the next move for Ang Lee is to make another small scale Taiwanese drama since those are some of his best films. try and go back to being an awards darling. if he can cope with shooting in a regular frame rate again.

Isn't he planning on the Thrilla in Manila thing in high frame rate again?

It can work if he limits the HFR to the boxing scenes only like Stallone did in Rocky Balboa where the boxing scenes had a completely different presentation. Gemini Man and Billy Lynn both feel like the exact wrong type of projects for HFR.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Isn't he planning on the Thrilla in Manila thing in high frame rate again?

It can work if he limits the HFR to the boxing scenes only like Stallone did in Rocky Balboa where the boxing scenes had a completely different presentation. Gemini Man and Billy Lynn both feel like the exact wrong type of projects for HFR.

yeah, i'm pretty sure that's not happening. or at least it won't be the next thing. i think he'll have to do what he did after Hulk; scaled down, did Brokeback, won some awards, got everyone's respect again.