Really the Finale should've been 90 minutes instead of 75 Minutes... It went by pretty quick and maybe I felt this way because of all the loose ends to tie up in such a short time... :popcorn: 

Yeah, it would have been even better if it had 15 more minutes.

• Like 2

BKB, as the guy who thought the DB Cooper thing was a great idea there was no way you weren't gonna be disappointed.

Anyway, my initial reaction is honestly that it's one of the best finales ever, at least the best of this current generation of television (though the stan/peggy part did feel a little easy).

I feel like the meaning of the 'fade to coke' ending will probably be debated on a Sopranos level for some time. My initial reaction was to take the more cynical view that Don created the ad, and right now I prefer that interpretation but there's some great writing out there that's making me consider the more positive side. this is really the kind of discussion great art should create. so I'm pretty pleased.

• Like 2

The stuff with Peggy and Stan felt tone-deaf, but wow... that final scene. I knew it'd be low-key and ambiguous, but I could never have thought of a better way to end it than that.

My interpretation is that he went back and made the ad but finally found some modicum of real contentment. Whether it's Dick or Don, he's accepted who he is.

• Like 2

Everyone was guessing it would end on an ambiguous note but that was hilarious, I expected nothing less from the show to leave behind overdeterminded fans to write 20.000-word essays about what DEFINATELY happened. It was a perfect finale for one of the best shows of all time, no matter which side(s) you choose about what happened and what it means.

Edited by Joel M

I was thrown off by the ending at first, mostly because I was completely unfamiliar with the history of that Coke ad, but after reading up on it and reflecting on the whole thing a bit, I think it's perfectly fitting as the ultimate Rorschach test Mad Men has given us. 

Now, without any hyperbole, I'll say this show is one of the best pieces of art I've ever encountered in any medium, and I will never get tired of revisiting it. 

I think it was a good episode, but for a show with such a strong sense of "community" among the cast, I expected/wanted a lot more of interaction among the characters. But I guess that was the reason why the move to McCann meant the end of the show: because it was leading to the group disbanding.

I do feel disapointed that that crucial moment in Don's life had to happen away from everyone else. Even his last conversations with Peggy did not live up to the journey they had shared from the early days.

I don't know. I think the story works on paper and it makes sense, but the episode, as an audiovisual media, lacked in emotiveness.

So like WTF??? Just Empire and myself watched this show's Finale or what??? MR.Pink??? Where are you??? What did you think of this lackluster Finale???

I've been out of town and wasn't able to watch. The ending was fine, if not a bit unremarkable but that's what I expected. I think it checked off the right boxes but I would have preferred if Don wasn't completely isolated from the cast for the entire episode. Steggy makes sense and was a long time coming but it was a little too much too fast. I would have just preferred they went on a date rather declarations of love. Roger and Joan exits were nice. Pete too, though it was more of a coda.

All in all it didn't shit the bed, kinda like Breaking Bad though I love the stuff to ponder with Mad Men more. The ending is interesting. I interpreted it as Don accepting himself fully and shedding Dick. People experience the same kind of sorrows he does, so it's time to make something of it and he lays down his legacy with the Coke commercial. He's not fixed, but he's accepted being broken. Because we all are

• Like 2

Interesting way to end the show, though I do not undestand that Coke ad at all.

At least it did not end in the middle of a fricking scene like The Sopranos, kudos for that.

EDIT: Nevermind, I read stuff on the internet.

Makes me think, If Draper came up with this Coke ad, maybe he also came up with "The Pepsi Generation" in the 80's.

Edited by Boxx93

They've been laying the groundwork for literally seasons. Sometimes stuff like that just -- BOOM -- hits all at once.

I've been a huge shipper for them too, but it just felt off to me. Un-Mad Men like. Then again, I absolutely loved Pete's declaration of love to Trudy last week and it wasn't all that different.

• Like 4

Hamm nails it:

There’s people saying, oh, it’s so pat, and it’s rom-com-y, or whatever it is. But it’s not the end of anything. The world doesn’t blow up right after the Coke commercial ends. No one is suggesting that Stan and Peggy live happily ever after, or that Joan’s business is a rousing success, or that Roger and Marie come back from Paris together. None of it is done. Matt had said at one point, “I just want my characters to be a little more happy than they were in the beginning,” and I think that’s pretty much true. But these aren’t the last moments of any of these characters’ lives, including Betty. She doesn’t have much time left, but damn if she’s not going to spend it the way she wants to spend it.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/05/18/mad-men-finale-jon-hamm-interview/?_r=2

• Like 5