grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I'm going to track Endgame's 2nd Friday much like I did previews Thursday. Feels necessary since the likelihood of the 2nd weekend record being broken is decently high. Our work here is not yet finished....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I'm going to track Endgame's 2nd Friday much like I did previews Thursday. Feels necessary since the likelihood of the 2nd weekend record being broken is decently high. Our work here is not yet finished....

Or it could prove it was extremely frontloaded... we shall known within a week. I'm off now to watch EG for the 2nd time, with family. :)

• Like 1

BTW we should open up a thread for this upcoming pokemon battle where i honestly think it's too close to call. And if Pikachu loses it still looks damn good in defeat coming with a bunch of accolades. 

*Highest grossing film in May

*Highest grossing opening weekend for WB since Justice League

*Able to compete against Endgame and still make a dang good profit

This is going to be a Pokemon battle for the ages, screw Mewtwo vs Mew. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

BTW we should open up a thread for this upcoming pokemon battle where i honestly think it's too close to call. And if Pikachu loses it still looks damn good in defeat coming with a bunch of accolades. 

*Highest grossing film in May

*Highest grossing opening weekend for WB since Justice League

*Able to compete against Endgame and still make a dang good profit

This is going to be a Pokemon battle for the ages, screw Mewtwo vs Mew. :P

Endgame will be the highest grossing film in May, 2nd one is not an accolade, and 3rd is a coping mechanism 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 2

Detective Pikachu San Gabriel Valley Premiere Night

Date       4/10 4/11 4/12 4/13
Tickets Sold       534 198 110 58
Date 4/14 4/15 4/16 4/17 4/18 4/19 4/20
Tickets Sold 28 45 59 63 36 33 28
Date 4/21 4/22 4/23 4/24 4/25 4/26  
Tickets Sold 35 72 57 44 92 64  

Sales have picked up this week, though Monday is when we should see a real spike in sales. Also, with Aladdin tickets soon to be on sale, I'll finally have a movie to compare to these numbers. I expect them to be fairly close, since they have similar demographics and OW tracking numbers.

• Thanks 4

This is why  Pulse being down is bad.  We know that EG is slaughtering everyone, so its comps are really just for show to some degree.

But not being able to see how the future movies are doing on the sidelines (Wick 3, Pika Pika mostly)... Well frankly, it stinks.

Like I have some observations out of Sacto (some good, some terrible), but right now the 30,000 foot level view would help me make sense of them.

Just hope Fandango reboots its frigging apps by Sunday night.

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:

This is why having Pulse being down is bad.  We know that EG is slaughtering everyone, so its comps are really just for show to some degree.

But not being able to see how the future movies are doing on the sidelines (Wick 3, Pika Pika mostly)... Well frankly, it stinks.

Like I have some observations out of Sacto (some good, some terrible), but right now the 30,000 foot level view would help me make sense of them.

Just hope Fandango reboots its frigging apps by Sunday night.

Please we need it to stop the insanity of people saying every May movie will flop because of Endgame.

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Please we need it to stop the insanity of people saying every May movie will flop because of Endgame.

I would appreciate it if you stopped hacking into my Inbox and reading my worried fears about upcoming movies, thnx. j1aUlyv.gif

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would appreciate it if you stopped hacking into my Inbox and reading my worried fears about upcoming movies, thnx. j1aUlyv.gif

:hahaha:please tell me you're joking, not you too I can't lose one of the bastions of sanity on this forum

Just now, Mulder said:

:hahaha:please tell me you're joking, not you too I can't lose one of the bastions of sanity on this forum

I mean, you stare at a mushroom cloud for too long, you risk going blind.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, you stare at a mushroom cloud for too long, you risk going blind.

I've been talking privately with someone about this and right now I'm using the word "fear".  By definition fear isn't entierly rational.

But, I gotta tell ya, I look at all those entertainment dollars being sucked up right now, and if I were forced to bet I'd bet on "everything between now and KotM underperforming".

-----------------

That being said, Pikachu is getting a fair amount of good buzz out those UK screenings.  Wick 3 might be sufficiently R-rated to find its own lane.

And Aladdin...  Well...

Okay, look, I tried. :lol:

But, how can I not look at a 360ish OW and NOT think it'll impact the coming month?  

Still, I have been stressing that I am probably, PROBABLY, overreacting to EG just being Godzilla in movie form.

But can you blame me for being a little apprehensive for upcoming movies?

So, yes, the more Pulse data, the better.  If only so I have new data to work with and chew over.

Edited by Porthos

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've been talking privately with someone about this and right now I'm using the word "fear".  By definition fear isn't entierly rational.

But, I gotta tell ya, I look at all those entertainment dollars being sucked up right now, and if I were forced to bet I'd bet on "everything between now and KotM underperforming".

-----------------

That being said, Pikachu is getting a fair amount of good buzz out those UK screenings.  Wick 3 might be sufficiently R-rated to find its own lane.

And Aladdin...  Well...

Okay, look, I tried. :lol:

But, how can I not look at a 360ish OW and NOT think it'll impact the coming month?  

Still, I have been stressing that I am probably, PROBABLY, overreacting to EG just being Godzilla in movie form.

But can you blame me for being a little apprehensive for upcoming movies?

So, yes, the more Pulse data, the better.  If only so I have new data to work with and chew over.

I mean it's possible Pika does underperform but also keep in mind the prior big movies ((TFA, Avengers, JW, IW)) didn't stay at #1 for more then 4 weeks and even then Inside Out did 90 with JW.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean it's possible Pika does underperform but also keep in mind the prior big movies ((TFA, Avengers, JW, IW)) didn't stay at #1 for more then 4 weeks and even then Inside Out did 90 with JW.

Sure, I personally think Inside Out is a great comp for Pikachu, especially it being in the face of a monster movie.

Maybe I'm just a junkie going through data withdrawal at the worst possible time. ;)

Edited by Porthos

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

-----------------

Pikachu got overwhelming positive buzz from it's first screenigns in US as well. It also has a press screening this week as well as May 6th, day before embargo drops.

It's gonna be a battle between Pikachu and Endgame for 3rd weekend.

Edited by Cappoedameron