grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hope you enjoy the smell of freshly made paper. 👍

Reveal hidden contents

lol that's funny. I wish house prices were depressing. 500k is gonna kill me

• Like 1

Aladdin showtimes finally starting to show up in the Sacto area. Nothing for sale yet.

Very very sparse though with only a couple of theaters listed at the moment.  In fact Century Arden has the Fan Event up, but not film proper.

Probably looking for an Monday rollout like CoolEric258 suggested.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Aladdin showtimes finally starting to show up in the Sacto area. Nothing for sale yet.

Very very sparse though with only a couple of theaters listed at the moment.  In fact Century Arden has the Fan Event up, but not film proper.

Probably looking for an Monday rollout like CoolEric258 suggested.

I didn't intend for that to be a suggestion. Somebody posted a document onto Reddit a couple months back that detailed when tickets would go on sale for a bunch of movies (mainly Disney), and Aladdin was on there, stating this Monday. It was accurate with all of the movies listed, so it definitely seems legit.

In case you were wondering, the document listed Lion King would drop tickets on June 26th. For whatever reason Toy Story 4 was listed as TBA, but looking at prior history, it's probably a day or so after Aladdin's OW.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The preview number ended up being perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

They couldn't live with their own predicts. And where did that bring them? Back to you.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do all movies have very high Saturday morning presales or is that more of a family film thing? It seems like the sort of time that parents would take hyperactive kids to see movies.

I ask because I just found out that one of the theaters I'm tracking has only sold 57 tickets on Thursday for Detective Pikachu, but has sold 101 for its Saturday morning showing, the most of any showing across all ten theaters I'm tracking. More than half of Saturday's presales have been for morning showings, and Saturday has sold more presales than Fridays. Could be a sign that families are going to make up a significant portion of the audience.

10 minutes ago, Perfundle said:

Do all movies have very high Saturday morning presales or is that more of a family film thing? It seems like the sort of time that parents would take hyperactive kids to see movies.

I ask because I just found out that one of the theaters I'm tracking has only sold 57 tickets on Thursday for Detective Pikachu, but has sold 101 for its Saturday morning showing, the most of any showing across all ten theaters I'm tracking. More than half of Saturday's presales have been for morning showings, and Saturday has sold more presales than Fridays. Could be a sign that families are going to make up a significant portion of the audience.

Family films play stronger in the morning than an "average" film. Kids aren't in school and it interferes less with an adults plans which usually occur later in the day. 

On 4/25/2019 at 11:24 PM, Thanos Legion said:

Huh, nobody MT scooped me. Almost like there were better things to do in theaters and better threads tonight.    

This has has become a soothing part of my daily routine, and I currently plan to continue indefinitely, though Endgame PS run is over.   

17:00 4/25/19 (End of preview Thurs)

1	93.2%	Avengers: Endgame
2	1.5%	Captain Marvel  (22.1 adj)
3	1%	The Curse of La Llorona (14.7 adj) 
4	0.8%	Dumbo         (11.8 adj)
5	0.8%	Breakthrough  (11.8 adj)

Okay, so the CM/S ratio today is... undefined. We’ll now discontinue that feature. CM will be a comfy #1 in today’s dailies I think.   

14/15 tickets for Endgame seems ‘aight, wondering where Sat ends.

No analysis today, quite beat.  

17:00 Pacific 4/26/19 (End of opening Fri)  

1	92.7%	Avengers: Endgame
2	1.8%	Captain Marvel
3	1.1%	The Curse of La Llorona
4	1%	Breakthrough
5	0.9%	Shazam!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu aka Endgame killer aka DikPik roundup

5/9/19 (12 days before previews, 13 before release)

North Shore Cinema

Mequon, WI

4:00 - 2/146

6:45 - 14/146

9:30 - 0/146

I have no comps for this as I’m still looking in my database but it’s solid, should be around $55M-$70M OW judging by sales, but in all honesty, even accounting Endgame, I don’t want to say $80M+ OW is likely as the sales aren’t where I want it to be.

Menominee Falls Cinema

Menominee Falls, WI

4:00 - 0/151 - SuperScreen

6:50 - 6/151 - SuperScreen

9:30 - 0/151 - SuperScreen 

We Should take into account that family films in PLFs = weak presales but it’s still not a good jump given the amount of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2019 movie tracker said:

over/under 60M/660M 3rd weekend against Pokémon???

Infinity War did 62M/548M against Breaking In and Life of the Party

The way the numbers are im saying over. Saying 70/700. This movie threw all rational thought out the window though lol

Edited by Tinalera
Finished text

13 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Definitely over. I think there is a great chance End Game does 80+ and beats Pikachu for the top spot in US and several areas in the world.

BOP has Pikachu at $82 could likely end up at $90. It's gonna be a close battle. Anything could happen. I still say Pikachu will win but it'll be close.

Pikachu 85/90

Endgame 75/80

If Pikachu loses it still is a huge victory for WB as a company. Likely the biggest May release and for WB the biggest opening since Justice League in 2017. If Pikachu wins WB can boast that it took down the king of the box office.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1