Plain Old Tele

47 Meters Down (2017)

47 Meters Down (2017)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Here's a film that is high on suspense, low on gore, is pretty well made, and then collapses in the last ten minutes. I understand that the last ten minutes is more of a realistic ending, but I liked the sensational ending they had.  It just gave you a high note to end it on.  People don't like downer endings.  You spend so much time with these two leads and then to have them both die, it's just too bleak.  But beyond the ending there was some really good stuff in here.  The air running out which forced them to get out of their cage, was a really nice plot piece.  I'll admit when she was out of here cage, with no light and basically lost, it terrified me.  What a horrible situation to be in.  At that point you are just waiting to become chum.

47 Meters Down is a good movie, but it could have been better with the original ending.

7/10

I read a spoiler post before this movie came out and someone was saying that

Spoiler

Daisy Ridley had a cameo as Matthew Modine's daughter (the captain), and as a preface to the movie she was in a similar accident where she was eaten by the sharks.  Matthew Modine's way of coping was to get young girls into the cage and then cut the line and let fate decide what happens (cuz that is what happened to his daughter).  was this true and cut from the film or was someone just being silly.  I was anticipating this moment throughout the whole film.  I 100% expected it to happen because you are left with so much ambiguity as to who the captain was and the lack of communication going on between the boat and the girls.

If that part was in the movie it was definitely not in the version I saw. I plan on seeing it again at the theater so maybe it's in the theatricaln version but when I saw it three months ago that was not in the movie.

6 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

Hide contents

Daisy Ridley had a cameo as Matthew Modine's daughter (the captain), and as a preface to the movie she was in a similar accident where she was eaten by the sharks.  Matthew Modine's way of coping was to get young girls into the cage and then cut the line and let fate decide what happens (cuz that is what happened to his daughter).  was this true and cut from the film or was someone just being silly.  I was anticipating this moment throughout the whole film.  I 100% expected it to happen because you are left with so much ambiguity as to who the captain was and the lack of communication going on between the boat and the girls.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

If that part was in the movie it was definitely not in the version I saw. I plan on seeing it again at the theater so maybe it's in the theatricaln version but when I saw it three months ago that was not in the movie.

Yeah that part is definitely not in the movie

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I read a spoiler post before this movie came out and someone was saying that...

Hide contents

Daisy Ridley had a cameo as Matthew Modine's daughter (the captain), and as a preface to the movie, she was in a similar accident where she was eaten by the sharks.  Matthew Modine's way of coping was to get young girls into the cage and then cut the line and let fate decide what happens (cuz that is what happened to his daughter). Was this true and cut from the film or was someone just being silly?  I was anticipating this moment throughout the whole film. I 100% expected it to happen because you are left with so much ambiguity as to who the captain was and the lack of communication going on between the boat and the girls.

I WAS JOKING.

ylWvkSx.gif

OMFG.

MY IMPACT, TO BE HONEST. WHEN WILL @baumer, @Chewy, @CoolioD1, @MrPink, or @Telemachos?!?!?!

ubTcbd9.gif

I'M SO SORRY YOU TOOK ME SERIOUSLY.

Bmpswn1.gif

• Haha 1

47 Meters Down is relentlessly dull, but the ending was kinda fun. All the actors are forgettable, although I'll admit shooting a majority of the film underwater was interesting performance-wise. I just don't think these shark films work without strong character work, and Moore and Holt's characters are interchangeable with most protagonists in the genre. 47 Meters Down, much like The Shallows, is an utterly forgettable shark thriller with moments of flare that show shines of a better film if those behind them put as much effort into the characters as they did their scares. Blah. D-

Incredibly stupid. The only reason to watch it is due to how unintentionally funny it is. The two leads are as paper thin as it gets and they seemed to be in a fierce competition on who can outdumb each other once the cage fell. They are so unbelievably dimwitted that they even make incredibly bad decisions in their hallucinations (like that takes talent!). Around the middle, I honestly started rooting for the sharks. Easily could have been called "You Need To Stay In The Cage". A lot of laughs but god does Mandy Moore overact the fuck out of this thing. - C-

Edited by somebody85

I think it's stupid and unintenionally funny at times but it also have some really tense sequences. It isn't The Shallows that makes something exceptional out of it's b-movie parts but it's fine and I don't think it's boring. Even the ridiculousness is endearing at times. One of my favorite scenes is their talk before they enter the cage.

Mandy Moore: I'm not going, forget it!

Her sister: Your ex will think you are boring.

Mandy Moore: ok then.

That shit is hilarious. There's a lot of room between a great shark movie like The Shallows and a terrible "louk how trashy I am" schlock like Shark Night. That's where this movie lands for me. It's the kind of movie that you don't seek out to rewatch on purpose but if it is on TV I'll probably watch it again all the way through. 

B.

On 9/17/2017 at 5:27 AM, Joel M said:

I think it's stupid and unintenionally funny at times but it also have some really tense sequences. It isn't The Shallows that makes something exceptional out of it's b-movie parts but it's fine and I don't think it's boring. Even the ridiculousness is endearing at times. One of my favorite scenes is their talk before they enter the cage.

Mandy Moore: I'm not going, forget it!

Her sister: Your ex will think you are boring.

Mandy Moore: ok then.

That shit is hilarious. There's a lot of room between a great shark movie like The Shallows and a terrible "louk how trashy I am" schlock like Shark Night. That's where this movie lands for me. It's the kind of movie that you don't seek out to rewatch on purpose but if it is on TV I'll probably watch it again all the way through. 

B.

See I could never tell if scenes like that were meant to be taken seriously or were meant to be a satire on instagram girls (it was her friend not her sister, not that it matters lol). And there were a ton of them.

Like they are told how much oxygen they have and that they need to preserve it....Mandy Moore proceeds to hyper ventilate. 

I'll give it this....there is one genuinely tense sequence where Mandy Moore swims out into open water and can't find her way back. No sharks are involved (at least for a while) but as a viewer you can feel their presence and you have no idea which way you would go if put in that situation. But to get here, Many Moore has to do something incredibly stupid and go after a flashlight out in the distance after being told to stay in the cage. 

I loved the Shallows but that's because I really liked Blake Livelys character and the movie spent a lot more time with her. I didn't care about either of these girls. 

When I rate this a C-, I don't mean it's unwatchable....it definitely is because like you I was laughing a lot but I'm not sure if I was supposed to be or not. These girls are so dumb that it has to be seen to be believed.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

No I don't think the movie is intentionally trashy and stupid like say Robert Rodriguez movies of the last decade or Piranha 3DDDD or Sharknado 5. Shark Night from a few years ago was THAT movie and it was unwatchable.

I have very low tolerance for the "look how trashy and stupid this is, do you get it?" movies that have popped up over the last decade. I think the first Piranha 3D was the only one of its ilk that I liked. 47 meters down I think is completely earnest and takes itself seriously, it's just stupid, but in endearing way. I won't compare it to Shallows which was a great movie through and through.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 2:36 AM, dxmatrixdt said:

Hide contents

The way I STILL think of this. I am so sorry, bb. Are you doing well?