grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

1 minute ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

The INCREDIBLES 2 is simply over 10 years too late

I mean, Toy Story 2 and 3 gap was similar sized as well. I don't see why it shouldn't beat 100m OW if the marketing is good. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I'll be seeing it as soon as humanly possible (in theaters, not getting a free screening or anything).  That means trying for 7 PM on Thursday, July 20 :) 

Valerian making at least $1 during Thursday previews: confirmed. 

• Like 1

26m will give Cars3 a 51.5% drop. That's really good. CU fell 49% as an original. Cars3 also had small FD inflation on OW Sunday.

Even Cars1 fell 44% in the 2nd weekend and there were no Thu previews back then to inflate the 2nd weekend drop. Cars2 fell 60%.

So Cars3 reception seems really good.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, grimfandango said:

Where did you get the idea I wanted another retread? I didn't say anything like that.

A competent script writer could have both explored new territory without trashing what had been built before. It's not balls, it's hubris. I went in open to an experience worthy of the RS name--he did not deliver.

A:C won't be remembered well nearly as well as the first two, and not even as well as Prometheus.

Of course AC won't be remembered as well as the first two. They're put on pedastal far beyond most sci fi movies. 

Maybe I like AC more than most people because I think it explores the better side of humanity by showing what we are not (specifically relentlessly murderous xenomorphs and cynical androids).

Spoiler

Keep in mind, these species and machines are supposed to be more evolved and advanced than humans yet their lack of human compassion and tolerance make them disasterous for all life in the universe.

I love how the movie explores both sides of human progress and evolution. The destructive conqueror vs the creative pioneer.

Ultimately AC has alot more to say about the human condition than any other Alien movie, including the classic originals.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Holy Shit next June will be MASSIVE. Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2 and JW2 are all locks for 100M+ OW and then you have the Bumblebee spinoff and Oceans Eight :ohmygod:

Oceans 8 should really move elsewhere

Just now, PRESIDENT BKB said:

The INCREDIBLES 2 is simply over 10 years too late and really, nothing is going to touch INFINITY WAR: A Culmination of how many MARVEL movies to get to this point??? It's going to have a shit load of Superheroes along with the GOTG added to the mix, so no way this loses to any movie next year, not even MEG will beat this, but it'll be close..

One can say Dory was 10 years too late and it did over $485M, and Incredibles 2 is a more wanted sequel and potentially with a very weak market for family films where the only one that can do $100M domestic before I2 is Peter Rabbit and that isn't even set in stone, I have a club on I2 over Han Solo, and I can see it overtaking IW too. Infinity War while I think it will be bigger than CW, I expect it to be more frontloaded, something like $200M-$210M/$450M domestic run. 

IMO for Summer 2018 domestically:

JW2 ($485M) > TI2 ($460M) > IW ($450M) > Solo ($385M) > Deadpool 2 ($335M)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The other "Certified fresh" movies on RT in that time have been Covfefe, ICAN and Captain Underpants. Covfefe and ICAN were rejected by audiences in a big way, CU did fine for its budget. 

ICAN was falsely advertise by A24, they f that up by selling a completely different movie, of course audience were lisa, and it still more than doubled its 5 mil budget

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I mean, Toy Story 2 and 3 gap was similar sized as well. I don't see why it shouldn't beat 100m OW if the marketing is good. 

I'm thinking maybe even more, it might be enough for a $120M-$145M OW. The family market is extremely barren for the first half of 2018 and is Pixar's most wanted Sequel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Valerian making at least $1 during Thursday previews: confirmed. 

Well, ya see, I'm also taking my mom with me.  And the tickets are gonna be more like $15 since I'll be seeing it in Cinemark XD, and if it doesn't come there, then I'll still be seeing it in 3D anyway.

So how about we go $30?

4 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Infinity War is just another Marvel sequel. It will not win the year.

Dory kicked Civil War last year and The Incredibles 2 will win the summer.

I think you might like my I2 over Solo club.

• Like 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Well, ya see, I'm also taking my mom with me.  And the tickets are gonna be more like $15 since I'll be seeing it in Cinemark XD, and if it doesn't come there, then I'll still be seeing it in 3D anyway.

So how about we go $30?

I will make it $45 since it looks amazing in 3D but I need you to support Ninjago.

• Like 1

I really think that if it didn't have this ridiculous competition, Deadpool 2 could pull a GotG 2 and have a sizable increase from the first film (provided it gets similar reception to the first film). But unless it moves elsewhere, it will stay flat at best.