Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Looney Tunes should be 2D. To do otherwise is sacrilegious.

I absolutely agree, but WB has already done the characters in 3D animation for shorts in the past, so it's not of the question they would use that style for an animated theatrically released film as well, as much as I'd preferred it to be traditionally animated like anyone.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

The Lego Batman Movie was successful though. 

Still, most of us were expecting big things for this. If Ninjago does $100M/$250M, what do that mean for Lego 2, sub $200M/ sub $400M?

• Like 1

So, Despicable Me 3 is a movie I know I just watched - mainly because I'm 12 bucks poorer than 3 hours ago - but if you'd ask me anything about it, I'd be hard pressed to tell you.

Of course if I force my brain to work a little I'll give you the gist, but this movie leaves no impression at all. Blander than water. It's not even bad, it's just....something that exists. Kinda frustrating when you watch a "film" like this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Truckasaurus said:

So, Despicable Me 3 is a movie I know I just watched - mainly because I'm 12 bucks poorer than 3 hours ago - but if you'd ask me anything about it, I'd be hard pressed to tell you.

Of course if I force my brain to work a little I'll give you the gist, but this movie leaves no impression at all. Blander than water. It's not even bad, it's just....something that exists. Kinda frustrating when you watch a "film" like this.

That's every Pixar movie to me, and many Marvel films too.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The problem with the Looney Tunes is they work better in short bursts, Space Jam and Back in Action weren't great. I'm sure a Looney Tunes film is in development but making it work and having it not be too reliant on Bugs and Daffy. 

I'd love to see them do Jonny Quest as an animated film in the vein of Future Quest. 

The WAG films seem to be nail the humour with a mix of slapstick or more verbal and visual jokes, it's likely the reason why The Lego Batman Movie didn't do well outside of the US and UK. Storks while not as strong as The Lego Movie or Lego Batman did have its moments.

I agree that stretching them out is hard since they were always about sight and short gags, but I do think it's possible you can do something with the LT in feature films, if  say it's more of an ensembled film (something like Space Jam failed as LT project failed, because it was written by people who clearly didn't really "get the property").

As for the WAG films, I think Storks was kinda hilarious. I'll admit I haven't seen Lego Batman yet, but hopefully that'll change soon enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I absolutely agree, but WB has already done the characters in 3D animation for shorts in the past, so it's not of the question they would use that style for an animated theatrically released film as well, as much as I'd preferred it to be traditionally animated like anyone.

Those shorts were visually stunning and they were animated by Reel FX who are doing the animation for Scooby. 

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still, most of us were expecting big things for this. If Ninjago does $100M/$250M, what do that mean for Lego 2, sub $200M/ sub $400M?

The budgets are low enough that $250m WW would be fine for Ninjago.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I agree that stretching them out is hard since they were always about sight and short gags, but I do think it's possible you can do something with the LT in feature films, if  say it's more of an ensembled film (something like Space Jam failed as LT project failed, because it was written by people who clearly didn't really "get the property").

As for the WAG films, I think Storks was kinda hilarious. I'll admit I haven't seen Lego Batman yet, but hopefully that'll change soon enough.

Storks was both amazingly awesome and funny...and irritating.  So much ability to hit that movie at an A/A+ level, but too many WTF plot moments to quite get there...ones that actually take you out of the movie b/c you're like "how the hell did they get there?"  It got an A-/B+ from me...worth the 2nd run money and deserved better at the box office...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The best option IMO is not doing another hybrid Looney Tunes film. Adapting characters which work best in short form is tricky but it is doable, Shaun the Sheep comes to mind as well as Wallace and Gromit, it's about adapting it to a new medium.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Storks was both amazingly awesome and funny...and irritating.  So much ability to hit that movie at an A/A+ level, but too many WTF plot moments to quite get there...ones that actually take you out of the movie b/c you're like "how the hell did they get there?"  It got an A-/B+ from me...worth the 2nd run money and deserved better at the box office...

The plotline certainly made no sense, but boy was I cracking-up when I watched. Storks should have done so much better then it did, I prefer it over most Illumination films. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The actual plot is ridiculous but the number of gags more than made up for this. Pigeon Toady's 'How Do You like Me Now' still makes me laugh and the Wolf pack too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The best option IMO is not doing another hybrid Looney Tunes film. Adapting characters which work best in short form is tricky but it is doable, Shaun the Sheep comes to mind as well as Wallace and Gromit, it's about adapting it to a new medium.

I think an animated 80m largely silent film about the Looney Tunes gang getting caught up in some big hysteria could work. Stretching it out to film length is the hard part, but I don't think it's impossible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Bugs Bunny vs. Trump and the NRA: The Movie

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Bugs Bunny vs. Trump and the NRA: The Movie

giphy.gif

"Rabbit, fire. He's trying to take away my guns!"

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I think an animated 80m largely silent film about the Looney Tunes gang getting caught up in some big hysteria could work. Stretching it out to film length is the hard part, but I don't think it's impossible. 

Shaun the Sheep managed it although I think you'd need some dialogue or maybe a musical moment or two.