Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Or...go to a local Cinemark and see it on their XD screens?  Or Dolby Atmos?  Or something along those lines.  Plenty of other PLF's other than IMAX.  And if not, you can still see a regular 3D showing.

Honestly though, Valerian got the date first, and even got an IMAX deal when they landed the date.  Dunkirk has not been playing fair with the movie.  They pretty much cheated their way into getting the IMAX solely cause they filmed it entirely with IMAX.

Does not compute. :lol: 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Fairness doesn't really have anything to do with it. And I can't really blame IMAX for supporting one of their biggest proponents.

There were multiple other ways they could've approached this.  WB couldve slotted it in a similar release date as Sully, they could've made it a Thanksgiving tentpole, they could've released it in early August...they could've done anything to avoid clashing with another release that secured IMAX first.  But they decided to do what they did.  I'm not mad at IMAX, I'm mad at Warner.

Just now, That One Guy said:

There were multiple other ways they could've approached this.  WB couldve slotted it in a similar release date as Sully, they could've made it a Thanksgiving tentpole, they could've released it in early August...they could've done anything to avoid clashing with another release that secured IMAX first.  But they decided to do what they did.  I'm not mad at IMAX, I'm mad at Warner.

You shouldn't be mad at any of them. All's fair in love and war and movies. And if STX was only able to secure a deal that IMAX could back out of, that's essentially their problem.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Friday is also slightly muted as a lot of potential family audience does not show up in the evenings because of travel and other vacation plans. In 2006, the family movies saw the biggest jumps, even Cars 2 jumped almost 30%, so giving it 15% seems likely to me considering increased matinee and evening business, we will see tomorrow I guess. 

Cars' increase the weekend before was 45% though (the weekend after looks skewed by double features with Pirates, since weekends after were in that 45% range).

Of course that was 11 years ago and things may be different now, but I'd bet DM3 ends up closer to 80 than 90 for the weekend.

Fairness doesn't really have anything to do with it. And I can't really blame IMAX for supporting one of their biggest proponents.

A contract is a contract, the movie that starts with a D should suck it up.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Look, my point is that Dunkirk just should've picked a different release spot.

Because the mid-July date they like has been booked by a director whose biggest OW is 43M?

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

You shouldn't be mad at any of them. All's fair in love and war and movies. And if STX was only able to secure a deal that IMAX could back out of, that's essentially their problem.

Correction: EuropaCorp made the deal, STX didn't start distribution of Europa's films until I think January.

I'm mostly just mad that they won't be able to, not even at the least, accommodate a few select locations to screen the movie in IMAX, or at least share the screen with an equal amount of showtimes per day or something (hell, they can even give Dunkirk all the prime spots if they wanted to).  It just doesn't seem right to me that WB would mess up an entire deal like they did. 

It sucks for Valerian that WB plopped Dunkirk on "it's date" but that's how the game is played.

There was nothing stopping them moving the movie but they didn't. As a result, they've put the movie in a really awkward spot with Dunkirk opening, Apes having it's 2nd weekend and Spider-Man: Homecoming having it's 3rd weekend. I hope it does well, but they really have not done themselves any favours in regard to the date.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

It sucks for Valerian that WB plopped Dunkirk on "it's date" but that's how the game is played.

There was nothing stopping them moving the movie but they didn't. As a result, they've put the movie in a really awkward spot with Dunkirk opening, Apes having it's 2nd weekend and Spider-Man: Homecoming having it's 3rd weekend. I hope it does well, but they really have not done themselves any favours in regard to the date.

Don't you know audiences will line up to watch the movie starring :qotd: and Cara Whatserface

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Because the mid-July date they like has been booked by a director whose biggest OW is 43M?

Just because they like a certain release spot doesn't given them special powers.  Nolan has released multiple movies in other times of the month (prime example: Interstellar in November) and had them be successful.

Hell, they could've easily scheduled it for July 28 and let Valerian have IMAX for a week.

Correction: EuropaCorp made the deal, STX didn't start distribution of Europa's films until I think January.

I'm mostly just mad that they won't be able to, not even at the least, accommodate a few select locations to screen the movie in IMAX, or at least share the screen with an equal amount of showtimes per day or something (hell, they can even give Dunkirk all the prime spots if they wanted to).  It just doesn't seem right to me that WB would mess up an entire deal like they did. 

It's right because WB made the best deal for themselves and IMAX made the best deal for themselves too. This isn't kumbaya, man. You have the big clout and enough legal wiggle room to make it happen? Then that's the way it is.

• Like 4

Just because they like a certain release spot doesn't given them special powers.  

Seeing how they managed to get IMAX exclusivity over a movie which supposedly had already signed IMAX contracts - I think it does give them special powers

• Like 5