Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

I really hope July will play like March, Homecoming explode like BATB, baby driver holds like GO, War Apes and Dunkirk, coexist and deliver great number, and valerian will have the OW like Power rangers but more leggier 

in this case, everybody is happy

• Like 2

It's WAY too late to move Valerian now, the movie comes out in THREE weeks! Moving it to a new date will guarantee that the movie will flop.

If they wanted to move it they should have done it months ago.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/despicable-me-3-baby-driver-the-house-july-4th-weekend-box-office-independence-day-1202122599/

3rd Update, Saturday 12:39AM One thing you have to say about this year’s Independence Day weekend at the box office: It sure is far more riveting than last year.

This weekend we have a kids’ animated threequel in Illumination/Universal’sDespicable Me 3a franchise which refuses to show any sign of fatigue with a healthy three-day of $81M; the second best FSS out of the series’ three titles after Despicable Me 2‘s $83.5M (third best if you count the spinoffMinions’ which holds the record debut for an Illumination title at $115.7M).

Next is Sony-TriStar/Media Rights Capital’s Baby Driveran action title which is proving that original material when made for the right price actually works at the summer B.O. with a 5-day B.O. of $27M+.

Then, there’s the ultimate collapse of Amy Poehler andWill Ferrell with New Line/Village Roadshow/WB’s The House,which for the latter SNLalum, is arguably the lowest opening of his solo major studio live-action career at the box office with $9.2M  

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

• Community Manager

Valerian could have owned August like Guardians of the Galaxy did. Instead, it's going to struggle. STX/Europacorp should have moved it not just when WB put Dunkirk there but when they saw August and saw there is no real big movie there.

81-83 ow doesn't guarantee over DM1 does it? Even though it is more likely to go over than not.

But going over Sing is going to be tough.

(notwithstanding ow rises)

Stupid to spend 209 million on a product that does not have pre-existing fan base and does not have really big names. Plus studio is not big enough to handle OS distribution and so will pre-sell for less than optimal deals. So this needs huge domestic to be successful and that is unlikely given the release date. 

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

81-83 ow doesn't guarantee over DM1 does it? Even though it is more likely to go over than not.

But going over Sing is going to be tough.

(notwithstanding ow rises)

If you told me last year DM 3 was going to have trouble passing Sing I wouldn't have believed you.

• Like 3

DEADLINE WEEKEND ESTIMATION BREAKDOWN

1). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 4,259 theaters / $28.6M Fri. (includes $4.1M previews) / 3-day cume: $81M /Wk 1

2). Baby Driver (PAR), 3,226 theaters / $5.7M Wed. (includes Tuesday preview of $2.1M) / $3.3M Thurs. / $5.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $18M / Total cume: $27M / Wk 1

3). Transformers: The Last Knight (PAR), 4,132 theaters (+63) / $4.7M Fri. (-66%)/ 3-day cume: $16.3M (-63%)/ Total cume: $101.4M / Wk 2

4.) Wonder Woman (WB), 3,404 theaters (-529) / $4.2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $15.3M / Total: $345.8M / Wk 5

5). The House (WB), 3,134 theaters / $3.4M Fri. (includes $800K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.2M/ Wk 1

6). Cars 3 (DIS), 3,576 theaters (-680) / $2.6m Fri. / 3-day cume: $9M (-63%) / Total: $120.2m / Wk 3

7.). 47 Meters Down (ENT), 2,250 theaters (-221) / $1.33M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.4M (-38%) / Total: $32.2M / Wk 3

8.). Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales  (DIS), 1,674 theaters (-682) / $869K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.9M  (-46%)/ Total: $166M / Wk 6

9.) The Beguiled (FOC), 674 theaters (+670) / $963K Fri. (+982%) / 3-day cume: $2.7M (+1250%)/Total: $3M/ Wk 2

10.). The Mummy (Uni), 1,760 theaters (-1,112) / $716K Fri. (-59%) / 3-day cume: $2.55M (-58%)/ Total: $74.3M / Wk 4

NOTABLES:

The Big Sick (AMAZ/LGF), 71 theaters (+66) / $468K (+250%) / 3-day cume: $1.5M (+264%) / Per screen: $21,6K /Total: $2.1M Wk 2

The Little Hours (BSKY), 2 theaters / $20K Fri. / PTA: $29,6K/3-day cume: $59K /Wk 1

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 5

It does seem like Valerian is going to be a good movie. Hopefully even with the terrible release date, it can have good word of mouth that will carry over into August where it can leg out a nice box office run to end the summer. 

Sony did a genius move bumping Baby up from August and giving it two random weekdays to build word of mouth. That's an incredible increase from Thursday. Hopefully the onslaught of July won't stop it from reaching a zeitgeist-y point I think the film is about to hit. So happy for Edgar Wright who has deserved a hit for 13 years now. 

Animation seems to be burnt out this summer. DM3's gonna pull 30% lower than Illumination's average (Pets/DM2/Minions).  CARS 3 could have the worst third weekend in Pixar history. Merchandise may be merchandise but Pixar is having its second misfire in two years. And Captain Underpants could've easily been a 100m film if properly marketed. 

15 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

If you told me last year DM 3 was going to have trouble passing Sing I wouldn't have believed you.

I had a Sing under BH6 club :P

And right now have a DM3 > CARS3+COCO club which is looking nearly impossible now.

CARS3 looking at 145-150 so even TGD like numbers from COCO will take COCO+CARS3 combined over DM3.

Had DM3 at 320-330 in that club.

Edited by a2knet