Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

I hope this is the last of cars series after this performance. There are so many ways to keep the merchandise side alive without making these crappy movies. Stick originals as much as possible and make sequels only when directs to great originals(or sequels) want to make them.

On DM3 it will be more backloaded than norm as its opening is soft. 

1). Despicable Me 3 (UNI/ILL), 4,259 theaters / $28.6M Fri. (includes $4.1M previews) / 3-day cume: $81M /Wk 1

2). Baby Driver (PAR), 3,226 theaters / $5.7M Wed. (includes Tuesday preview of $2.1M) / $3.3M Thurs. / $5.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $18M / Total cume: $27M / Wk 1

3). Transformers: The Last Knight (PAR), 4,132 theaters (+63) / $4.7M Fri. (-66%)/ 3-day cume: $16.3M (-63%)/ Total cume: $101.4M / Wk 2

4.) Wonder Woman (WB), 3,404 theaters (-529) / $4.2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $15.3M / Total: $345.8M / Wk 5

5). The House (WB), 3,134 theaters / $3.4M Fri. (includes $800K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.2M/ Wk 1

6). Cars 3 (DIS), 3,576 theaters (-680) / $2.6m Fri. / 3-day cume: $9M (-63%) / Total: $120.2m / Wk 3

7.). 47 Meters Down (ENT), 2,250 theaters (-221) / $1.33M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.4M (-38%) / Total: $32.2M / Wk 3

8.). Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales  (DIS), 1,674 theaters (-682) / $869K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.9M  (-46%)/ Total: $166M / Wk 6

9.) The Beguiled (FOC), 674 theaters (+670) / $963K Fri. (+982%) / 3-day cume: $2.7M (+1250%)/Total: $3M/ Wk 2

10.). The Mummy (Uni), 1,760 theaters (-1,112) / $716K Fri. (-59%) / 3-day cume: $2.55M (-58%)/ Total: $74.3M / Wk 4

Weaker jumps for WW и BD:depp:

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 1

With The House also disappointing, I feel Girls Trip is going to be the hit needed to save comedies this summer. Everytime I've got the trailer it's received more laughs than the movie it's attached to. 

• Like 1

I have been saying for ages that 2017 is not the year for sequels irrespective of quality. 

I won't be shocked one bit if apes 3 is the lowest grossing in the franchise and Kingsman 2 underperforms big time. 

star wars could also suffer but i think there are enough sw lunatics to keep that afloat. Also, it will be the last time we will see Carrie fisher (god rest her soul) so that will help.

Just now, marveldcfox said:

I have been saying for ages that 2017 is not the year for sequels irrespective of quality. 

I won't be shocked one bit if apes 3 is the lowest grossing in the franchise and Kingsman 2 underperforms big time. 

star wars could also suffer but i think there are enough sw lunatics to keep that afloat. Also, it will be the last time we will see Carrie fisher (god rest her soul) so that will help.

Given the reviews to me it'd be a damn shame if Apes 3 can't at least get over 200m. As for Kingsman I'm pulling for it to raise from the first but a part of me feels like it could easily underperform. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wonder of Rth said:

DM3 29.6, BD 7.5, TE 4.7,WW 4.4, TH 2.7

Fantastic for Baby Driver! Turned things around after that Thursday drop. 

Yay for Wonder Woman, $14m is secure despite muted Saturday increases this weekend. 

Dreadful for The House! Smaller opening day than Rough Night. 

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was really curious to check it out after hearing how out there it is but after hearing a lot of people's reactions I might save it for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

I was really curious to check it out after hearing how out there it is but after hearing a lot of people's reactions I might save it for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

It's a Vincent Price grand guignol at its best when it's at its best. Trouble is, those Vincent Price classic are 90 minutes while Cure is more like 150. The comments on the society are a waste. All the weirdness and delicious horror - the stuff that would've made a nice, little 90-100 minutes feature - make it well worth a watch. Redbox is this Tuesday. Recommend the Bluray. Recommend skipping the corporate, emptiness of climbing the ladder segments as well.

• Like 1

Nice to see 47 Meters Down still hanging on, as well as POTC. I guess that POTC WOM kicked in, that critics were wrong and it's actually worth people's time. A bit late but OS boxoffice should assure one more movie to cap it all off. 

How are WW chances for 400M after this weekend? 

Also, Ansel is a boxoffice draw. ;)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Grimm's projection for Despicable Me 3 seems to be pretty fair. Why would you ignore the last time July 4th fell on a Tuesday? Why would you just ignore the pattern from that weekend? If you go by that weekend then Despicable Me 3 definitely should be over 90 million for the weekend.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

With The House also disappointing, I feel Girls Trip is going to be the hit needed to save comedies this summer. Everytime I've got the trailer it's received more laughs than the movie it's attached to. 

For the sake of my summer game i hope youre right.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

All this talk about Valerian, but isn't the real story this weekend the absolute collapse of The Last Knight? I mean wow. $150 million looks over. 

I thought it would decline but not by that much. Some faith in the american moviegoing public has been restored.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Not my point.  I'm not saying they were obligated to be considerate, but I am saying that they should HAVE been considerate. I understand that they want their product to succeed, but I do not endorse what they did by essentially cutting out Valerian's greatest possible source of revenue.  Of course, they also have their own motives for doing it, but this is my view from an outsider's perspective.

I'm just gonna drop this because I'm excited as fuck for the movie and still think it can cross 100M with or without IMAX

Studios should be considerate for Nolan's favorite weekend of the past 10 years and ask WB for permission to release a movie on that date before scheduling there. Gosh, so rude

• Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

I thought it would decline but not by that much. Some faith in the american moviegoing public has been restored.

I really didn't see it dropping this much. More than the last movie despite its OW being softened by opening two days earlier? It's a hell of a tumble. Seems lots of the world are really tired of them now. 

For the first time in ten years it genuinely feels like the franchise has had its day in its current form.