cookie

CAYOM 3.0 - Behind the Camera

In case anyone's wondering, Lieutenant Lynx in the Third Dimension is going to be the first movie (or at least the first I write) from Total Eclipse Entertainment, and it's absolutely a Star Fox mockbuster. But a live-action, 3D, $30 million mockbuster. That looks and feels like an "enhanced edition" of an old 80s B-movie like Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn or Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

On 11/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, cookie said:

If Numbers' Expedecade review was by far the funniest evisceration of a movie in 2.0, Blanks' Kansas review was by far the most scorching

Speaking of, is it weird that the first result I get typing Expedecade into Google is a CAYOM thread? Like what was that word supposed to mean?

it was the "expedite virus" (the MacGuffin) combined with the decade timeskip

high school me was weird.

So... I just spent actual money to buy a scan of the original shooting script for the 2008 version of One Missed Call from before all the post-production nonsense. Mostly to sate my own curiosity since none of the original footage from the director's cut has ever been released, and partly to see if there's anything in there worth using...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xillix said:

So... I just spent actual money to buy a scan of the original shooting script for the 2008 version of One Missed Call from before all the post-production nonsense. Mostly to sate my own curiosity since none of the original footage from the director's cut has ever been released, and partly to see if there's anything in there worth using...

How much was it?

Partway through the One Missed Call shooting script, found something that didn't make it into the final cut that I might borrow. So far it's pretty similar to the finished film, but the weird visions the curse victims have before they die are a lot creepier and less corny than the final versions. Some of the changes were obviously for censorship when they switched from R to PG-13 in post-production.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cookie said:

There's this fever dream-like element to it that really intrigued me but I kinda started drifting once Farrell left the hotel.

Gotta admit though, it has the best fight scene of any movie that's ever been put on screen before.

giphy.gif

Okay finished the One Missed Call 2008 shooting script.

Yeah, probably not going to use anything. Most of the differences are the actual horror/scare scenes, and while those are a LOT better in the script, I'm not recycling any of the same horror scenes by choice because I've got a whole new cast of characters and I don't just wanna plug them into the same situations. The story elements are virtually identical in the shooting script and the finished film.

I will say, without spoilers - my single biggest problem with the 2008 version, both in script and screen form, is the ending. It's completely changed. The Japanese movie has one of those real mind-screw, ambiguous endings that are so popular over there, and it takes a few watches and a peek at the sequel for most people to figure out. But the American remake didn't even try to distill it or make it more digestible; it just threw it out and replaced it was a super-corny, dumb-as-nails replacement. In the process, it got rid of the payoff for a lot of the film's thematic subtext and pretty much just completely removed the antagonist's motivation. For my version I'm gonna be leaning really hard into those themes to make up for it.

Edited by Xillix
  • Like 1