CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

7 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I was was kind when compared to SS, realisticly the benchmark should be SM3. Homecoming should be doing those numbers at minimum otherwise we can state that Spidey is still a second tier SH, opposed to the first tier it used to belong.

I'm sorry but I don't know how you came to that conclusion? I think we can all agree that batman is a first tier SH and when that character was in the exact same position as current spidey (batman begins after batman & robin and Batman Forever) the box office results weren't that stellar either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Don't forget whatever backend Bay/Hasbro got out of the thing.

Oh I haven't forgotten. Transformers numbers are not good news. There is no way to spin that. I think the studio knew that they weren't going to make another billion but certainly I think that they thought they were going to get close and their movie is not going to get close.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Oh I haven't forgotten. Transformers numbers are not good news. There is no way to spin that. I think the studio knew that they weren't going to make another billion but certainly I think that they thought they were going to get close and their movie is not going to get close.

Bumblebee is screwed too. Not only will people not care but its release date is horrible.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I'm wondering if Wonder Woman can be the top superhero movie this year domestically.

As much as I would love that, I can't imagine any scenario that would result in any film but Justice League being the # 1 superhero film of 2017. 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

I'm sorry but I don't know how you came to that conclusion? I think we can all agree that batman is a first tier SH and when that character was in the exact same position as current spidey (batman begins after batman & robin and Batman Forever) the box office results weren't that stellar either. 

When people bring up The Dark Knight trilogy they really ignore the fact that Batman Begins underperformed everyone's expectations (except mine because I predicted close to 200 million for it). Everyone at the time had that movie pegged to do 300 million from what I remember. It was like if Spider-Man could do 400 then why couldn't Batman do 300. That was the conventional wisdom at the time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

So it might do 920 WW instead of 950? 

Disappointing. :redcapes:

China is more frontloaded.But Leg won't under 2×.multi 2.1-2.3 is avenge.Considering It's in summer vocation.65M/140M is great

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

But look at what Batman Begins did after it came off of the horrible Batman and Robin. Sometimes the previous movies do effect what the current one has for a ceiling.

That's a bit extreme, was TASM2 that bad? You've got Marvel and IM, so you'd except more. You're right though, HC will be ultimately judged by its sequel, if that hits 400m with ease the strategy worked. No excuses there though, HC2 has to hit Captain America, IM3 numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

As much as I would love that, I can't imagine any scenario that would result in any film but Justice League be the # 1 superhero film of 2017. 

If JL gets BvS-level reception (or close to it) I can easily see it happening. With Whedon taking over from Snyder that seems unlikely, though. But even if it does get good reception it's not guaranteed at all to hit 400m.

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

That's a bit extreme, was TASM2 that bad? You've got Marvel and IM, so you'd except more. You're right though, HC will be ultimately judged by its sequel, if that hits 400m with ease the strategy worked. No excuses there though, HC2 has to hit Captain America, IM3 numbers.

Yes ASM 2 was pretty bad in many peoples eyes. It was so bad that it caused Sony to scrap the entire third film that they had planned on.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

No, it has to make a consistent profit. Nobody cares if anything does "IM3 numbers" or whatever. Sony has no alternative to Spidey unless you think Dark Tower will somehow be a megablockbuster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

HC2 should move to August. Opening against Pets 2 and then dealing with Lion King two weeks later doesn't bode well.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yes ASM 2 was pretty bad in many peoples eyes. It was so bad that it caused Sony to scrap the entire third film that they had planned on.

Poor Lizard...

Edited by Cookson