CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

hmm...just for the sake of argument: the big walkups did not prevent it from having a better hold on Sat, so why would they push up the overall multi?

If the walk ups thing is so important then why didn't more people walk up on Saturday? If anything doesn't it make it sound like the movie's word-of-mouth isn't that great or is only okay and doesn't match the reviews? I don't think the walk-ups mean anything by the way I'm just asking questions.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Grinch can do $350M+ domestic though.

it's gonna be the movie to watch especially due to such an apt release period.

hell...will grinch over incred2 be the upset of 2018?

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's not risky at all. If anything, it's the best possible plan. The Beguiled had a strong PTA last weekend and should have gone wider because Popcorn Law and mixed WOM have kicked in now. The Big Sick is much better received, but having another small expansion would risk audiences losing interest. Strike while the iron is hot.

Same with Illumination. 

No one actually tries to defend Illumination as brilliant, they just think we're not allowed to care that they aren't

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If the walk ups thing is so important then why didn't more people walk up on Saturday? If anything doesn't it make it sound like the movie's word-of-mouth isn't that great or is only okay and doesn't match the reviews? I don't think the walk-ups mean anything by the way I'm just asking questions.

WoM isn't usually a factor for OW one way or the other.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

it's gonna be the movie to watch especially due to such an apt release period.

hell...will grinch over incred2 be the upset of 2018?

I actually could see $400M for Grinch if it get unprecedented reviews like 90%+.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Was it ever even a question that Spider-Man is going to easily Out gross Guardians of the Galaxy 2 overseas?

not really. GOTG2 is looking at what...475 OS?

Spidey range before the release safely seemed like 450-550 OS I think (especially since IM was gonna up the ante). So only very low-end Spidey could be below GOTG2.

Now Spidey seems above that high-end and looking at 550+.

575 + 325 = 900 would be swell.

Edited by a2knet

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I feel like Wonder Woman's run has made people forget what a typical com run should look like.

x2.7 would be fantastic for Spidey.

I personally think something like 2.5 is more likely.

true. though personally think 2.5 is low and will target 2.65x+ like GOTG2. 2.65-2.7 gives 315-320. Makes IM1 a fun benchmark to beat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

not really. GOTG2 is looking at what...475 OS?

Spidey range before the release safely seemed like 450-550 OS I think (especially since IM was gonna up the ante). So only very low-end Spidey could be below GOTG2.

Now Spidey seems above that high-end and looking at 550+.

575 + 325 = 900 would be swell.

If we use the same ratio as GV2 OW to OS total, Homecoming ends with $623.66M.

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

I feel like Wonder Woman's run has made people forget what a typical com run should look like.

x2.7 would be fantastic for Spidey.

I personally think something like 2.5 is more likely.

It's like people forget that Doctor Strange which was an origin story and not a sequel or reboot got a 2.7 multiplier overall from a fairly big 85 million opening weekend. And although it's reviews weren't as good as Logan Wonder Woman and Homecoming's it got a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes  and we know people do not look at the average score that much. And yes Ant-Man had a 3.1 multiplier from a 57 million opening. Great but that's not in the upper tier of openings when it comes to comic book movies. It's harder to get that multiplier when a movie opens up with 100 million. No a 3.0 multiplier is not impossible and maybe Spider-Man will get one for all I know but I see no reason to project that it will at this time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Except TF movies haven't stopped other movies from being made

Don't know how true is that, in a parallel universe world with Transformer 1 failing and no sequels being made, do we really have not one different movie being made made/released by Paramount in it ?

They are such giant production, using such a big amount of resource, I doubt Bay would have not made other movies. That said it does not mean that those parallel universe movies would be any good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Wonder Woman skews female to a before unseen level for a CBM. It also pulls in a heavy old crowd. Both those are terrific for late legs. SM:H is going to have neither of those and it'll play like a standard Marvel flick.

Edited by AHepBurn

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

No one actually tries to defend Illumination as brilliant, they just think we're not allowed to care that they aren't

When almost all the people in this forum know what you or Han think abou Illumination films, what is the reason to repeat your opinion in every Illumination thread.

Is it really that difficult to understand that you do nothing but annoying people that support those films or is this actually your purpose?

• Like 1