WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

We all agree that SMHC is not performing great, nor bad. However if it's dropping hard next week also it indicates a very mixed WoM. Finishing just above 300m is actually very disappointing for a Marvel film with that pedigree.

Nah, weekend 4 will be the big test...next week, with so many new movies and losing all higher-priced screens, it's again probably gonna have a hardish fall.  Then it needs to stabilize to show legs...

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The fact you can't even remember the name of that Nickelback song disproves your point.

I knew the name but used "Nickelback song" instead so everyone would know exactly what song I was talking about instantly.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Sad that Apes isn't huge, and not too shocking at SM not breaking out (some hardcore superhero movie fans have seen it before me - I haven't seen it yet - and they told me that they weren't enthralled with me, not just because of the racial changes, but also because of the "less spectacle, more character development and slow build up" stuff that I think also got Civil War by the balls a little bit), even if the OW seemed very promising, but it was pretty frontloaded. I think it will still cross 300M, but it's not a certainty anymore.

Go see it...it has the best 3rd act of all supers this year...it feels like a love letter to the original creators of the comics - they so embraced exactly who Spidey was and is:)...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How much more profitable will SMH be than ASM2?

Was it worth the trouble for Sony to reboot again?

Going to predict most profitable movie in deadline countdown. Movies which are released-

Batb- don't think much participation cost. Huge in usa and little in china so profit would be good. Easily much above other films.

Wonder woman- low reported budget. Not much participation cost. Huge in usa. Thinking $210-250m profit. 

Dm3- confused b/w this and gotg2 for third. I think dm3 edges out due to much lower budget. Great os total and good dom too. Wiig and carrel will get some participation bonus but budget is still very low.

Gotg2- pretty big budget. Great dom total and good os total.

Sm:hc- pretty low budget. But rdj will get good participation bonus. Good dom and seems to be a good os total too.

F&f- HUGE os total. Nice dom total. But most comes from china so profit will be less. Huge participation cost. Rock, vin, statham and old cast. Huge budget too. Just like how civil war profit was less than gotg despite making $300m more, this will make less profit than above mentioned movie.

This is just a prediction. Almost sure about batb and ww being top two. Others not much.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't get why some feel the need to go back and rag on the original Spider-man films.  The first two are brilliant and Maguire's turn as Parker was terrific.  Revisionist history at its finest here @grey ghost

Nah, I agree with him b/c I just watched it again...that star turn doesn't age as well, particularly when you've seen the new turn.  It's not that it's gotten worse, it's just what you've seen has gotten better.  It's like eating ground chuck all your life and then getting filet (if no one liked my ice cream analogy yesterday).  For those who disagree, watch both again 24 hours apart and see what you think...

He also looks too old for the part - not his fault, but now it takes you out of the movie b/c you've seen someone much closer in look and age to the part desired...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, I agree with him b/c I just watched it again...that star turn doesn't age as well, particularly when you've seen the new turn.  It's not that it's gotten worse, it's just what you've see has gotten better.  It's like eating ground chuck all your life and then getting filet (if no one liked my ice cream analogy yesterday).  For those who disagree, watch both again 24 hours apart and see what you think...

He also looks too old for the part - not his fault, but now it takes you out of the movie b/c you've seen someone much closer in look and age to the part desired...

Well I actually watched sm1 and homecoming 2 hours apart. I count that as a reason why me and my friends didn't like homecoming much.

• Like 1

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Well I actually watched sm1 and homecoming 2 hours apart. I count that as a reason why me and my friends didn't like homecoming much.

And you liked Tobey better?  Age wise, acting wise, Spidey concept wise?  Nah...Tom Holland is the best Spidey there's been done so far.  I'll stand by that...just like Vulture was the best villain.  Take down other parts of SMH, but disputing those two things would be old school "fightin' words":)...

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

And you liked Tobey better?  Age wise, acting wise, Spidey concept wise?  Nah...Tom Holland is the best Spidey there's been done so far.  I'll stand by that...just like Vulture was the best villain.  Take down other parts of SMH, but disputing those two things would be old school "fightin' words":)...

I was comparing films not cast. Tom holland is sure much much better than maguire. Not so sure about vulture. I think goblin is on same level and doc ock is better.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, thelich343 said:

I don't want to say that I thought SM:HC was petty bland garbage and that save a few scenes, I thought it was a near complete waste of time. If I did, it'd sound like I was some kind of whiny hater even though I was being sincere.

That being said, I'm not surprised at it's performance at all.

Oh, great the word "whining" is making a comeback regarding movie criticisms.

Can't wait to use towards people who complain about going slightly off topic, superhero movies dominating, rankings, political correctness, franchises ruining movies, etc, etc ,etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I was comparing films not cast. Tom holland is sure much much better than maguire. Not so sure about vulture. I think goblin is on same level and doc ock is better.

Yeah, casting wise I prefer Holland and even Garfield to Maguire.  But when it comes to the actual films, SM and SM2 are a good mile above the rest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

i haven't watched homecoming, so can't compare...but did you think Vulture was better than Doc Ock? feel that disputing that could be understandable just going by how appreciated Doc Ock is.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

i haven't watched homecoming, so can't compare...but did you think Vulture was better than Doc Ock? feel that disputing that could be understandable just going by how appreciated Doc Ock is.

I think both the material and the acting are superior...he was the perfect villain for this movie...and Michael Keaton is a revelation in the role - it's like he was born for it (I did not love his Batman turn, but in this...he's perfect)...it was the best part of the movie, even better than Spidey - hand's down.  And the scenes with Spidey and Vulture are what elevate the movie - they gave it the A- all by themselves (they are A+ scenes - the rest of the movie is probably more "B" worth:) - good news is that 3rd act is almost all them:).  There's a reason so many talk about a scene which literally has no action, but is one of the tensest, well-acted scenes ever...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, AndyChrono said:

It's possible that too many fanboys jumped the gun on SMH word of mouth because there are 50 shades of "liking" a movie. There's a difference between liking a movie, loving a movie, really loving a movie, and loving it enough to buy tickets for your friends/family so that you can see it again along with them. That RT audience score of "91% liked it!" includes that entire spectrum, and we don't know the breakdown among the groups so to speak. It's very possible that the vast majority of those folks liked it or loved it, maybe even REALLY loved it... but not enough to buy tickets for their friends and family if it came down to it. Talk is cheap after all, and tickets these days are expensive!

Just as personal anecdote, I saw SMH and merely liked it. I recommended to friends and family to watch it if they have time/money or if they are big fans of Spidey/MCU. On the other hand, after I saw WW I bought 4 tickets for my whole family to watch it in Dolby ATMOS the very next day (and I went back solo a couple more times as well).

I'd hardly seen any movies this year up until Wonder Woman--I was cautiously optimistic. I saw the first showing on opening day, and left the theater and bought a Stubs card because I knew I was going to be using it a lot. I saw it again but this time I took my wife (who doesn't like CBMs), and she really liked it. Then I took my brother and his kids. Then I took my neighbors and their kids. Then I took my wife two more times. Plus I watched it again myself a few more times. And I told EVERYONE they have to go see it, and some did.

Spiderman I went once by myself. I liked it, but I knew my wife wouldn't. I'll wait until netflix to see it again. WW was something special that only happens every few years.

That's the difference.  WOM>Tomato Law. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The fact you can't even remember the name of that Nickelback song disproves your point.

If we're talking about the song form the 1st film that wasn't even Nickelback. It was Chad solo dueting with another rock vocalist.