CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Congrats to Wonder Woman for becoming the biggest movie of summer. It has been such a wild ride, since the pessimism surrounding the movie before the release, till the acclamation and explosion at Box Office. It is one of these movies that makes me love to follow B.O, a movie that surpass expectations week after week. It went from a movie that would have lucky to reach Captain America 1's numbers, to become the biggest movie of summer, it went from a movie that was highly likely to be awful, to one of the most acclaimed SH movies of history. Gal went from a "terrible choice" to one of best and most acclaimed performances in a SH movie. A performance that is so epic as the movie itself. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Per Rth, the single NZ IMAX screen made up a huge portion of Dunkirk's OW (in New Zealand). Probably won't be that skewed in the States but the I'd wager that those premium screens are doing a lot of legwork for the movie.

AMC Lincoln square NYC (Even Empire 25+E-walk doesn't beat it) and BFI Imax Southbank London are two highest grosses in the world , BFI Imax would be #1 with only Lincoln Square Imax Gross

Domestic the top 20 Locations all  feature Imax or 70mm (the #2 is 70mm) , in a nutshell pretty much any theatre running multiple formats the bulk of BO is Imax/70mm sessions

Edited by Rth Homecoming
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Rth Homecoming said:

AMC Lincoln square NYC and BFI Imax Southbank London are two highest grosses in the world , BFI Imax would be #1 with only Lincoln Square Imax Gross

Domestic the top 20 Locations all  feature Imax or 70mm (the #2 is 70mm) , in a nutshell pretty much any theatre running multiple formats the bulk of BO is Imax/70mm sessions

Do you have info on whatever theater gets the most admissions total yearly?  I'd be curious.

7 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's a shame that stuff like It Comes at Night and The Big Sick probably won't be making the list. Barely anyone on here has seen them, and the former is much more divisive than The Witch which made it.

ICAN is a vicious life sucking bitch from which there is no escape.  This will be on the worst list before it gets a sniff of best.

7 hours ago, ACSlater said:

Too many Nolanites on this forum/internet for that not to happen. He could release something pure shit and they would still line up to jack him off.

Yea, like Interstellar.

• Like 2

FWIW I thought Dunkirk had about 30 minutes of truly epic stuff....emotionally galvanizing enough to bring tears streaming down my cheeks.  Unfortunately other than that stunning 30 minutes, the rest of it is good to fine.  I liked the movie overall but it's not perfect.  I'd give it an 8/10.

Interstellar was a great movie! Not as good as Inception, but still great. That scene where Cooper breaks down while watching his children's messages gets me choked up every time. Such good acting by McConaughey.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

ICAN is a vicious life sucking bitch from which there is no escape.  This will be on the worst list before it gets a sniff of best.

ICAN is brilliant, intoxicating, and intense.  It's beautifully crafted and almost perfect in how it sets up the world it creates

3 hours ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

ICAN is brilliant, intoxicating, and intense.  It's beautifully crafted and almost perfect in how it sets up the world it creates

I give up....I don't know how to post gifs anymore.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Interstellar was a great movie! Not as good as Inception, but still great. That scene where Cooper breaks down while watching his children's messages gets me choked up every time. Such good acting by McConaughey.

I knew I liked something about you

• Like 1

Without diving into spoilers, certain characters were more interesting than others in Dunkirk, yet I never felt connected enough to any of them because of how many characters the film follows. This isn't as much of an issue as it is in stuff like Black Hawk Down and 13 Hours because the characters are distinct enough to separate them from others, but it's an issue nonetheless.