CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

37 minutes ago, a2knet said:

POTC5 on 786 ww.

Domestic:  $171,569,090    21.8%
Foreign:  $614,400,000    78.2%

= Worldwide:  $785,969,090  

Added 4.3 OS over the last whole week (not weekend).

Will add 4-5 more OS over rest of the run (and a small 0.25-0.35 dom).

So it will go north of 790 ww.

I hope Spider-Man 6 finishes above Pirates 5 ww.

22 minutes ago, kitik said:

I hope Spider-Man 6 finishes above Pirates 5 ww.

That is locked. SM6 is on 702 ww. Remainder of Dom will itself take it to 720-725 ww. Then China's entire run is yet to come. Add to that what it brings from the remainder of current OS markets, 850+ will happen at the least. 875 is realistic imo.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, iJackSparrow said:

That would be amazing. Sony should follow suit over Labor Day and just keep going until October. 

SMH won't need an expansion because it'll still be retaining a lot of its theaters over the next few weeks. I don't think it's dropping under 1,800 until It comes out.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

SMH won't need an expansion because it'll still be retaining a lot of its theaters over the next few weeks. I don't think it's dropping under 1,800 until It comes out.

I'm not used to follow runs until it might need expansions, the last time I can think of that I was actually around to follow was with The Avengers, but I'd argue that it makes sense for both because 1) WW is a fucking monster and 2) SM:H is having some great late legs while TDT and Emoji are crumbling. But you are probably right. 

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

With the numerous failures/disappointment of animated movies this summer domestically, things are looking good for a $35M-$40M OW for Ninjago and both Pony and The Star can do $20M+ OWs too.

Or they could all disappoint.

• Like 1

3.3 + 13.09 (3.97x) + 14.00 (+6.95%) + 10.01 (-28.5%) = 40.40 ow ... CONJ2

4.0 + 11.00 (2.75x) + 11.64 (+5.81%) + 8.40 (-27.80%) = 35.40 ow ... AB:C estimates

Edited by a2knet

I'm multitasking on this forum site. Annabelle debuted with an estimated $35 million start, which is slightly less than its predecessor but still a very nice start for a horror sequel. It should hold up fine and make $85-$95 million domestic. 

As for the other new releases, everything seemed already talked about. Dunkirk still holding on and should make its way close to $200 million domestic.

The Nut Job 2:Nutty By Nature couldn't even bust a nut this weekend as it had the worst start for a film to debut in 4,000 theaters. With an estimated $8.9 million debut, and should make $20-$25 million domestic. 

The Dark Tower is being put on watch as it died its second weekend, and isn't even saving ground internationally! Look for The Dark Tower to shoot up $45 million total.

The Emoji Movie had a decent hold this weekend but not a stellar one either. With a quieter slate coming out for all new releases, emojis should make $75 million.

Girls Trip is getting closer to $100 million, and make $135 million domestic. Speaking of $100 million Baby Driver just passed $100 million this weekend! And Baby should cruise close to $110 million. 

Other than that there's nothing else new to talk about this weekend. Next weekend just looks nothing the same although I hope we have some hits to talk about on here.

11 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm not used to follow runs until it might need expansions, the last time I can think of that I was actually around to follow was with The Avengers, but I'd argue that it makes sense for both because 1) WW is a fucking monster and 2) SM:H is having some great late legs while TDT and Emoji are crumbling. But you are probably right. 

Let's use my 12 screen theater as an example of a midsize theater. This is what they have at the moment:

Annabelle

Nut Job

Dark Tower

Kidnap

Detroit

Emoji

Atomic Blonde

Dunkirk

Girls Trip

SMH

DM3

The Lion King/Apes

This upcoming weekend, I'm expecting Lion King/Apes to leave and Detroit and DM3 to share a screen to make space for THB and LL. On August 25, we'll be getting All Saints and Leap at the bare minimum, and I imagine Ingrid Goes West and Good Time expand as well. That weekend, I'll wager a guess and say my theater has this lineup:

All Saints

Good Time

Ingrid Goes West

Leap

THB

Logan Lucky

Annabelle

Kidnap

Dunkirk

SMH

Nut Job/Girls Trip

Dark Tower/Emoji

If Wind River expands, Dark Tower/Emoji would be the one to go, and I'm willing to bet Kidnap or Nut Job would leave before SMH. The theaters SMH will shred over the next few weeks will be theaters with 10 or less screens, which isn't a huge part of its current amount; midsize theaters will keep it around.

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I'm multitasking on this forum site. Annabelle debuted with an estimated $35 million start, which is slightly less than its predecessor but still a very nice start for a horror sequel. It should hold up fine and make $85-$95 million domestic. 

As for the other new releases, everything seemed already talked about. Dunkirk still holding on and should make its way close to $200 million domestic.

The Nut Job 2:Nutty By Nature couldn't even bust a nut this weekend as it had the worst start for a film to debut in 4,000 theaters. With an estimated $8.9 million debut, and should make $20-$25 million domestic. 

The Dark Tower is being put on watch as it died its second weekend, and isn't even saving ground internationally! Look for The Dark Tower to shoot up $45 million total.

The Emoji Movie had a decent hold this weekend but not a stellar one either. With a quieter slate coming out for all new releases, emojis should make $75 million.

Girls Trip is getting closer to $100 million, and make $135 million domestic. Speaking of $100 million Baby Driver just passed $100 million this weekend! And Baby should cruise close to $110 million. 

Other than that there's nothing else new to talk about this weekend. Next weekend just looks nothing the same although I hope we have some hits to talk about on here.

I think Nut Job 2 will have good legs.

10 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

@WrathOfHan

It makes sense. Yeah I don't have a single clue how many screens go in a mid range theater in the US. Here this would be a fucking huge one. 

Personally, this is what I consider theater sizes to be:

Megaplex: 20+ screens (Movies of all release patterns can be here)

Large: 16-20 screens (Movies in 700-800 theaters are almost definitely here with some in 400-500 theaters)

Midsize: 11-15 screens (Movies in 1,500 theaters are almost definitely here with 1,000+ on the higher end)

Small: 6-10 screens (Movies need to be in 2,500+ theaters or so to hit these places)

Minuscule: 1-5 screens (Movies need at least 3,000 theaters to hit these places, and for the low end, 3,700+ is required; OR, these are arthouse theaters)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1