CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Stand baldy needs a remake, the miniseries was fine for what it was but the story deserves the big movie treatment alongside IT.
I've always considered IT and The Stand to be King's greatest novels, and I'm so happy at IT being a mega hit!

IT and The Stand are my two favorite King novels and I've wanted proper adaptations for them both for a while. With IT's success I'm hoping Josh Boone isn't too far off from starting The Stand. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Ugh I forgot 9/11 was coming out this weekend. I'm a little curious of how much of a trainwreck it really is. 

During the week it's slated to have the biggest auditorium here (today Wind River and It are splitting that screen). However, the show that just started only sold 2 seats, and I'm pretty sure the morning show sold nothing. I won't be surprised if theaters get to drop it next week :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

During the week it's slated to have the biggest auditorium here (today Wind River and It are splitting that screen). However, the show that just started only sold 2 seats, and I'm pretty sure the morning show sold nothing. I won't be surprised if theaters get to drop it next week :lol: 

It's bad enough the movie's terrible and in bad taste but I doubt many people want to watch a movie about a national tragedy with everything else going on this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$8M opening is the ceiling. Weak but expected.

The ceiling is more like 5.5M :lol: Those previews are 57% of LL, which is almost on par with my theater last night (60%). It's been performing worse than LL did on OD here too.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The ceiling is more like 5.5M :lol: Those previews are 57% of LL, which is almost on par with my theater last night (60%). It's been performing worse than LL did on OD here too.

I think they are using the last Bridget Jones has a comparable (franchise should be easy to be has frontloaded even with bad legs).

I would love to comment on IT's crazy-as-fuck numbers, but I'm honestly drowning in work and I'm only on my third day of college 😭

Gave up a shift tonight but but I might pop in to see the numbers.

• Haha 1

I don't really think that IT's performance will mean anything about future Stephen King adaptations. It is by a big margin his most popular book and the situation is special.

The performance proves the popularity and cultural relevant of IT specifically and not Stephen King's work in general.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's likely gonna skew older than Logan Lucky did so matching it shouldn't be that difficult but either way it's not gonna play to much of an audience. Reese probably only did this movie as a favor anyway so I doubt it's gonna mean much for her drawing power.

Just now, filmlover said:

It's likely gonna skew older than Logan Lucky did so matching it shouldn't be that difficult but either way it's not gonna play to much of an audience. Reese probably only did this movie as a favor anyway so I doubt it's gonna mean much for her drawing power.

I mean, my area skews old and it's performing like shit. Plus, it has Irma+football going against it.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

They replaced with the not so successful Goosebumps 2!

IT is only the start of what will be a successful September. Kingsman and Ninjago doing $35-40m on their OW will be great as well

Yup the studios definitely packed September with more & more notable films this month. Should improve over the overall box office blahs of August.

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Ninjago and Blade Runner will be successful, Geostorm won't be but TBH I suspect it was written off ages ago

I'm not sure Blade Runner will be successful given its budget & potentially niche appeal, but Geostorm has felt like a flop for ages, especially given how long it's taken to be released. 

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not even like I demand all modern horror movies to be like The Innocents or The Witch or something. But there has to be some middle ground between that and a horror movie that's just a non-stop pile-up of incidents with no room to breathe in between them. The latter is what IT is, and that structure (or lack thereof) essentially says that the movie doesn't trust its own audience. It's even worse because the kids are good enough that I would have happily watched an entire movie of them just hanging out, Stand by Me style, with no horror tricks to distract me. 

I haven't seen the movie yet, but your comments on it have definitely tempered my expectations. Though I was kind of worried about some of the things you mention (fast pace, no restraint & room to breathe, in your face etc.) from watching the trailers anyway...

• Like 1

IT previews and the Thursday drops take a.....hIT.

Understandably A:C drops hard. Dunkirk doing better than others like with the Wednesday drop.

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (2) Wind River Weinstein Co. $386,642 -22% 2,602 $149   $21,791,992 35
- (3) Annabelle: Creation Warner Bros. $306,173 -34% 3,358 $91   $92,267,010 28
- (4) Dunkirk Warner Bros. $260,104 -20% 2,752 $95   $181,160,279 49
- (6) Leap! Weinstein Co. $142,608 -26% 2,705 $53   $13,374,436 14
- (8) Girls Trip Universal $114,695 -25% 1,607 $71   $112,558,470 49
- (11) Birth of the Dragon BH Tilt $74,770 -30% 1,633 $46   $6,225,485 14
- (14) Wonder Woman Warner Bros. $72,008 -25% 1,838 $39   $409,841,142 98
- (-) Tulip Fever Weinstein Co. $63,443 -28% 765 $83   $1,650,220 7
- (-) The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road $58,007 -28% 2,651 $22   $26,891,894 28
- (-) Despicable Me 3 Universal $54,350 -34% 2,132 $25   $259,048,175 70
- (-) War for the Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox $45,026 -32% 1,041 $43   $144,878,705 56
- (-) Atomic Blonde Focus Features $44,975 -29% 741 $61   $50,751,270 42
- (-) Kidnap Aviron Pictures $42,212 -41% 1,689 $25   $30,001,115 35
Edited by a2knet