grim22

Bob's Burgers | May 27, 2022

2 hours ago, AJG said:

I fucking love Bob's Burgers... but what's the lowest opening weekend for an animated Disney film???

Their lowest since the 2000's would be Mars Needs Moms, produced by ImageMovers Digital, which had a $6.9M OW. If we only count movies fully produced by Disney, it would be 2011's Winnie The Pooh which had a $7.8M

• Like 1

I found out something that could change things regarding the way we evaluate this movie. To elaborate, it's come to my attention that the $60 million figure for the budget of The Bob's Burgers Movie DOES NOT COME FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. It was taken from a website called Filmik, which has a history of making such statements about movie budgets with no official information to back them up. While I obviously can't speak for what the movie's actual budget is, the fact remains that we should not be taking the statement that it cost $60 million as fact. 

As for what it did cost, I obviously can't give an authoritative answer. However, I do think I can make an educated guess. Instead of comparing it to The Simpsons Movie, we might be better served comparing it to Beavis and Butt-Head Do America or South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Both of these movies cost roughly $20 million, which is about a third of what The Simpsons Movie cost.

Compared to The Simpsons, which is a globally-beloved show watched by both adults and children, South Park and Beavis and Butt-Head have narrower target audiences and are less popular outside the United States. Bob's Burgers is vaguely comparable in that respect. Consider, too, that even in their prime, South Park and Beavis and Butt-Head were nowhere near the cornerstones of pop culture that The Simpsons was. Spending $60 million on a movie made sense for The Simpsons, but not really for any other primetime cartoon. 

It would not surprise me, then, if the real budget for The Bob's Burgers Movie is closer to that of South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut than The Simpsons Movie. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

3 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

I found out something that could change things regarding the way we evaluate this movie. To elaborate, it's come to my attention that the $60 million figure for the budget of The Bob's Burgers Movie DOES NOT COME FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE. It was taken from a website called Filmix, which has a history of making such statements about movie budgets with no official information to back them up. While I obviously can't speak for what the movie's actual budget is, the fact remains that we should not be taking the statement that it cost $60 million as fact. 

As for what it did cost, I obviously can't give an authoritative answer. However, I do think I can make an educated guess. Instead of comparing it to The Simpsons Movie, we might be better served comparing it to Beavis and Butt-Head Do America or South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Both of these movies cost roughly $20 million, which is about a third of what The Simpsons Movie cost.

Compared to The Simpsons, which is a globally-beloved show watched by both adults and children, South Park and Beavis and Butt-Head have narrower target audiences and are less popular outside the United States. Bob's Burgers is vaguely comparable in that respect. Consider, too, that even in their prime, South Park and Beavis and Butt-Head were nowhere near the cornerstones of pop culture that The Simpsons was. Spending $60 million on a movie made sense for The Simpsons, but not really for any other primetime cartoon. 

It would not surprise me, then, if the real budget for The Bob's Burgers Movie is closer to that of South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut than The Simpsons Movie. 

And though sucessful, Bob's Burger was not nearly as sucessful as Beavis and Butthead or South Park..let alone the Simpsons. All three had a much bigger cultural footpring then Bob's Burgers. I would say it was more on a level of Ren and Stimpy sucess.

• Like 1

Regardless of how popular Bob's Burgers itself is, I feel I have good reason to be skeptical of Filmik's statement that the movie's budget was $60 million. More significantly, if we assume the budget is indeed closer to $20 million, then a $10-12 million opening weekend might not be as bad as we've been making it out to be. 

Edited by El Squibbonator