That One Girl

The Call of the Wild | February 21 2020 | Fox | Coming to digital March 27

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

So glad this great movie gave all the haters here the middle finger - and destroyed the appalling game-abomination of last week. :)

bro you might want to check the box office numbers on that one. I mean, yea it's great when movies overperform like this... but maybe just double check what the context of the box office is when posting on a box office forum :lol: 

I was one of the critics of the use of CGI, that could easily have been done by a real trained dog 😊. CGI characters should only be used when necessary. CGI creature or monster, rather than a man in a cheap halloween costume, for instance. 

Some of the dog's movements did look stiff and robotic, but overall they did a nice job of making you forget that its a computer generated creation. Some of the stunts that were done, I guess CGI was necessary. 

This is the kind of feel good, inspirational story that could have worked as counter-programing to Star Wars and Jumanji during the holiday season. Came out a couple months late. 

You'll probably spend the first half of the movie wondering where the marquee star is 😊...but he eventually shows up, and it becomes a heartwarming buddy movie.

The grizzly bear 😂...intimidation display 😂...growl, slam its paw, splashing water 😂...A-

Edited by OdinSon2k14

On 2/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, JB33 said:

Those who've seen it, what are your thoughts? Is the film executed well enough to distract from the jarring CGI dog and scenery? How is Ford's performance?

Honestly I was a pretty big critic of the CGI, and yea at the beginning of the movie it was super distracting. But as the movie goes you realize that like 80% of the stuff they probably couldn't have gotten a real dog to do. Also, if they had used a real dog, I think this would have fallen into "the Lion King 2019" trap where the real animal can't emote the way the script calls for. There are so many times in the movie the dog needs to make a certain face, or look a certain way, and I really don't think they could have done it the way they did if they had used a real dog.

For example, after the movie my sister said to me (talking about how much she liked it) how "there was actual dialogue between Harisson Ford and Buck, you could like feel what they were saying" and I think a large part of why that worked was because of how they used the CGI to enhance the emotive performance of the dog. 

8 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I was one of the critics of the use of CGI, that could easily have been done by a real trained dog 😊. CGI characters should only be used when necessary. CGI creature or monster, rather than a man in a cheap halloween costume, for instance. 

Some of the dog's movements did look stiff and robotic, but overall they did a nice job of making you forget that its a computer generated creation. Some of the stunts that were done, I guess CGI was necessary. 

This is the kind of feel good, inspirational story that could have worked as counter-programing to Star Wars and Jumanji during the holiday season. Came out a couple months late. 

You'll probably spend the first half of the movie wondering where the marquee star is 😊...but he eventually shows up, and it becomes a heartwarming buddy movie.

The grizzly bear 😂...intimidation display 😂...growl, slam its paw, splashing water 😂...A-

Imo there wasn't enough Harrison Ford/Buck buddy-buddy in the movie. Could have benefitted from it

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I was a pretty big critic of the CGI, and yea at the beginning of the movie it was super distracting. But as the movie goes you realize that like 80% of the stuff they probably couldn't have gotten a real dog to do. Also, if they had used a real dog, I think this would have fallen into "the Lion King 2019" trap where the real animal can't emote the way the script calls for. There are so many times in the movie the dog needs to make a certain face, or look a certain way, and I really don't think they could have done it the way they did if they had used a real dog.

For example, after the movie my sister said to me (talking about how much she liked it) how "there was actual dialogue between Harisson Ford and Buck, you could like feel what they were saying" and I think a large part of why that worked was because of how they used the CGI to enhance the emotive performance of the dog.

Finally. Glad someone explained it for the dumb-dumbs, who hated on the movie without ever seeing it.

I would suggest to them they petition to make the next Marvel movie without CGI. But of course, then there would be nothing left of it - right?

LOL

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Uh... why isn't this going on Disney+?

Fox movies since 2012 still have deals with other premium networks (HBO in US, Crave in Canada) that won’t allow a new movie to be on Disney+ right away. Dark Phoenix is currently on HBO for instance. I think Avatar is the youngest non-Nat Geo Fox movie on Disney+ at the moment.

Those deals are supposed to expire in 2022 I believe 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

Fox movies since 2012 still have deals with other premium networks (HBO in US, Crave in Canada) that won’t allow a new movie to be on Disney+ right away. Dark Phoenix is currently on HBO for instance. I think Avatar is the youngest non-Nat Geo Fox movie on Disney+ at the moment.

Fant4stic is on Disney+, so I've heard.

35 minutes ago, AJG said:

UK has the silver surfer one but not the first film.

I am guessing old contracts.

I actually had hoped for e.g. a certain Touchstone movie, sofar = nope, looks like here its rather limited to wither franchise fans, and/or very child-/family-focused

On 3/26/2020 at 2:38 PM, Eric Lightfoot said:

Wimpy kid