Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I enjoyed her in The White Lotus as well, even if she was my least favorite of the eight Emmy-nominated performances (most surprisingly great performance from that ensemble, IMO, was Alexandra Daddario, which is probably more related to a rather bland filmography than to her actual acting abilities). Really hoping Jennifer Coolidge and Murray Bartlett take home those Emmys despite the potential vote-cancelling from all of the participants from the show facing off against each other in their respective categories.

Yeah that show had an embarrassment of riches when it came to performances, Bartlett was my favourite as well. 

3 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Yeah that show had an embarrassment of riches when it came to performances, Bartlett was my favourite as well. 

The infamous suitcase scene is one of the few times I can ever recall watching something where I had to hold my hand in front of my face in disgust lmao. Iconic (though I can't claim that dude didn't deserve it...does anyone play Entitled White Male parts better than Jake Lacy?).

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The infamous suitcase scene is one of the few times I can ever recall watching something where I had to hold my hand in front of my face in disgust lmao. Iconic (though I can't claim that dude didn't deserve it...does anyone play Entitled White Male parts better than Jake Lacy?).

So good, hopefully Sicily can capture some of the magic again in a few weeks.

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Sydney Sweeney signed on for a Sony thriller the other day that sounds like a total Purge wannabe. I can already tell the Hollywood infatuation with trying to make stars out of the Euphoria actors is going to have a very short shelf life (even though the actors can't really be blamed for the reasons I hate the show, that's largely on Sam Levinson lol).

I think people complaining on twitter about your moms birthday is just twitter being twitter. 

But Euphoria is a very popular show with younger groups so those actors will get a lot of exposure but I feel that show is losing steam already. 

Edited by Torontofan

25 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

I think people complaining on twitter about your moms birthday is just twitter being twitter. 

But Euphoria is a very popular show with younger groups so those actors will get a lot of exposure but I feel that show is losing steam already. 

I don't even care enough to find out what this is all about. :lol:

Euphoria is basically my hate watch show now because it's a ridiculous Freeform/The CW teen soap opera that thinks it's better than those because it's on HBO and can get away with all the R-related stuff those shows can't. I'm not surprised it's popular with young audiences given that it's drama all the time on the series, even though it's sort of ironic given the primary target audience is obviously meant to be parents with teens as an intended wake up call (except the show is so dour and sensationalistic that the average parent is likely to respond to it with "this isn't my life or what I'm dealing with, sorry").

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Euphoria is basically my hate watch show now because it's a ridiculous Freeform/The CW teen soap opera that thinks it's better than those because it's on HBO and can get away with all the R-related stuff those shows can't. I'm not surprised it's popular with young audiences given that it's drama all the time on the series, even though it's sort of ironic given the primary target audience is obviously meant to be parents with teens as an intended wake up call (except the show is so dour and sensationalistic that the average parent is likely to respond to it with "this isn't my life or what I'm dealing with, sorry").

I watch the show and pretty much hate all the characters lol 

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The first season of Euphoria is legitimately good and Zendaya does carry the show despite Levinson’s incompetence but the second season is basically R rated CW/Degrassi cheese that can be meme’d about which I love lol. The primary audience ain’t parents with teens though that’s funny, it’s most definitely and always been the 18-34 block.

5 minutes ago, YM! said:

The first season of Euphoria is legitimately good and Zendaya does carry the show despite Levinson’s incompetence but the second season is basically R rated CW/Degrassi cheese that can be meme’d about which I love lol. The primary audience ain’t parents with teens though that’s funny, it’s most definitely and always been the 18-34 block.

When it initially premiered it tried to have it both ways by touting itself as a call to action for parents, not dissimilar to Larry Clark's Kids back in the 90s. As it went along it fully embraced the trash, even with Zendaya (and most of the actors, really) giving it more than the material deserves.

The good news is that at least it doesn't seem like Sam Levinson's going to become a dominant force in the industry between Malcolm & Marie (anytime I see people complaining about critics I now think of JDW's obnoxious and neverending rant over a positive review from that movie) and Deep Water (an extremely silly movie that nonetheless treats itself with complete and utter seriousness) going nowhere, reports of on-set tension with the Euphoria cast (Barbie Ferreira's sudden departure came amidst rumors of the two of them really not getting along), and that show with The Weeknd already looking bad.

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I didn't know who Sydney Sweeney was before this recent social media controversy because I don't watch Euphoria, but let me just say I am stunned a 20 something blonde with huge tiddies that restores vintage cars for fun potentially has MAGA parents.

People on twitter are shocked that other people can have friends and family dont think exactly a like politically. 

:) 

(makes sense political types on twitter are all about declaring moral absolution over others to make themselves feel better). 

Edited by Torontofan

43 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I didn't know who Sydney Sweeney was before this recent social media controversy because I don't watch Euphoria, but let me just say I am stunned a 20 something blonde with huge tiddies that restores vintage cars for fun potentially has MAGA parents.

You should watch The White Lotus if you haven't! She's pretty good in that. Also should watch it just because it has a legendary Jennifer Coolidge performance as a walking disaster of a human being (she's also the only person coming back for the second season).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

People on twitter are shocked that other people can have friends and family dont think exactly a like politically. 

:) 

(makes sense political types on twitter are all about declaring moral absolution over others to make themselves feel better). 

Do either of you realize that 90% of the Twitter posts aren’t calling for cancellation but just making memes right?

13 minutes ago, YM! said:

Do either of you realize that 90% of the Twitter posts aren’t calling for cancellation but just making memes right?

There comes a time where the level of disproportionate dunking is dumb in and of itself, and that pretty much describes this situation to a T.

I mean, it is true that this will be forgotten about in a week or two, if not sooner.  But there will be a residual "We all hate Sydney Sweeney, but we can't quite remember why" stigma attached to her on sections of Twitter for quite a while.  See, in reference, "Twitter hates Gal Gadot, even if we can't remember exactly what Indescribably Terrible Thing She Did".

But beyond that, being The Main Character On Twitter For a Day is just plain... Not Fun.  Like, at all.

Sure, lots of folks are getting chuckles for getting seven likes on their TL for the meme they posted.  But when it's hundreds of thousands of memes flowing on your head, it becomes somewhat less chuckle-worthy.

Basically, I just don't think "most folks were just meme-ing" is really much of a defense.   Sure, she's not in danger of "being cancelled" (which really isn't a thing anyway).  But I suspect the experience wasn't very fun for her, regardless. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, YM! said:

Most people have friends or family that are anti vax or pro vax, pro choice anti choice, pro police anti police, pro trump, pro biden.

Thing is a lot of people ties of friendship, kinship and family are stronger and above politics.

Its mostly on twitter as its full of extreme ideological types, that this idea exists that you cant be friends or family with anyone you disagree with politically. 

However, as a public figure it is for the best not to post your self around such people publicly to avoid the twitter mobs.

Edited by Torontofan

7 hours ago, Torontofan said:

That, and the leap from being a TV Series Star to a Movie Star is hard to make; a great many never make it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I mean, it is true that this will be forgotten about in a week or two, if not sooner.  But there will be a residual "We all hate Sydney Sweeney, but we can't quite remember why" stigma attached to her on sections of Twitter for quite a while.  See, in reference, "Twitter hates Gal Gadot, even if we can't remember exactly what Indescribably Terrible Thing She Did".

But beyond that, being The Main Character On Twitter For a Day is just plain... Not Fun.  Like, at all.

Sure, lots of folks are getting chuckles for getting seven likes on their TL for the meme they posted.  But when it's hundreds of thousands of memes flowing on your head, it becomes somewhat less chuckle-worthy.

Basically, I just don't think "most folks were just meme-ing" is really much of a defense.   Sure, she's not in danger of "being cancelled" (which really isn't a thing anyway).  But I suspect the experience wasn't very fun for her, regardless. 

There's also the thing where her post was carefully edited to omit the MAGA hats and the Thin Blue Line t-shirts, which means that she knew it wasn't going to fly with her fanbase. It was discovered through her brother's insta apparently.

So most of the pushback also came from "you tried to hide it didn't you?" backlash.