Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's mostly a nothing-burger and someone who clearly just doesn't like RT. They investigated a tiny production? company who was trying to prop up their tiny films. Unless this is happening en masse, meh.

You really think the studios don't often hire shills to post phony reviews? Sorry, but several studios have been caught doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

You really think the studios don't often hire shills to post phony reviews? Sorry, but several studios have been caught doing it.

Most mainstream movies get 100/200/300 reviews. You'd have to buy a lot of reviewers to make a dent in your score. And even then, you can check Metacritic and you're notice a huge variance which would trigger some alarms.

5 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Most mainstream movies get 100/200/300 reviews. You'd have to buy a lot of reviewers to make a dent in your score. And even then, you can check Metacritic and you're notice a huge variance which would trigger some alarms.

I am talking more aoubt the User reviews. A lot of them sound so much alike you will not convince me they are not the product of some boiler room of shills.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's mostly a nothing-burger and someone who clearly just doesn't like RT. They investigated a tiny production? company who was trying to prop up their tiny films. Unless this is happening en masse, meh.

bribing critics is bad, actually.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

The "biggest" movie named was Ophelia starring Daisy Ridley, from 2018. As a fan of "Oscar movies" I've seen a lot of films with amazing reviews and great critic scores go absolutely no where. As a box office watcher, I've also seen many poorly reviewed films make billions. It feels like a lot of people are looking for "objectivity" in film criticism--an impossible exercise as reviews are ultimately other people's opinions--and that's why there's so much drama around RT and its place in the industry.

Awards obsessives have sleuthed out Navalny as the Oscar winning movie whose studio was desperate to preserve its perfect RT score as long as possible (it won Best Documentary Feature).

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

The best studios just invent critics working at the Ridgefield Press.

Haha, love a deep cut. For those who don't know the reference, David Manning.

• Like 1

That RT article is at best unconvincing and at worst misleading in its narratives

the part about quantumania is flat-out wrong (it did not remain fresh for days, and its review score tanked its opening instead of helping it) and even the part about the daisy ridley film is...not great?

the fact that it's basing its narratives on "a first batch of reviews" meaning it is making its arguments off the great sample size of 13/14 reviews for most of these films just rings ridiculous to me, as if the daisy ridley film starting off with 6 positive reviews and 7 negative ones and climbing to the...mighty? score of 62% would change anyone's mind about the film, either BO-wise or critic-wise

if the impact of the ploy was to move a few percentage points on a small film almost no one even heard about and that wasn't in consideration for any kind of award, while I might agree studios might employ some degree of manipulation, it's not doing its job in convincing me this is a massive problem

that's not to say RT doesn't suck, and I in fact find its methodology to be the worst among any aggregator, as the idea that a film should be rewarded for being the least divisive it can be rather than for how highly it is praised is ridiculous, and frankly counter to what art should be - a film like antman is presented to the public with 87% as if critics had raved about it when in reality its average score is only a 7/10

a film should be rewarded for high praise, not for being just passable enough to collect a lot of 6/10s from publications, and the fact that this number is "hidden" is simply dumb.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Eric the Nun said:

I hate people. Oh so very much.

I was thinking about this quite a bit. If I had a really good friend, for like 20+ years, I don't think I would write him a letter if he did the same as Danny. But honestly I can see why someone WOULD write a letter like that. It's gotta be a pretty big thing to go through having a friend do something like that. (don't write letters in support of rapists tho)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric the Nun said:

Ashton and Mila have known Masterson for 25+ years and probably believe he's innocent, whatever the courts say. As image conscious as stars are, it surprises me that they ever commit their support to convicted rapists/attempted murderers/et al in writing that is part of the public record. Maybe they didn't realize; Iggy Azalea's letter to the judge for Tory Lanez leaked last month and in addition to supporting him, she also embellished her success as an artist. So when the letter got exposed, she got dragged for aligning herself with an abuser AND bigging up her career accomplishments. Stupid.

Jerruh's gonna be Cowboys GM from beyond the grave....

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Eric the Nun said:

The did not even bother to wait and see what the evidence against Masterson was before they issued this statement. Which was stupid.

But this is nothng new. Look at all the celebs who fell over themselves defedning Roman Polanski.

6 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe they didn't realize; Iggy Azalea's letter to the judge for Tory Lanez leaked last month and in addition to supporting him, she also embellished her success as an artist. So when the letter got exposed, she got dragged for aligning herself with an abuser AND bigging up her career accomplishments. Stupid.

Was really tempted to use the "that's a name I haven't heard in a long time" meme right there heh. Talk about someone who was here today, gone tomorrow in terms of being a relevant name.

The Ashton/Mila support of Danny Masterson is non-news to me. They've known him since Clinton was in office, so naturally it's likely been harder for them to take these developments more than most since, unlike a lot of these salacious Hollywood scandals (where it usually ends up a matter of winning/losing the court of public opinion), he was actually found guilty in a court of law. At the same time, it's not a crime to voice whatever their stance is on his sentencing, whether positive or negative, no matter how much social media tries to convince the world otherwise about the harsh reality about humans being complicated.

• Like 3

Ashton and Mila do damage control are sorry you took their Danny Masterson defense the wrong way....

Among other things, that new Elon biography also reveals that he and Grimes have a third kid together, bringing him up to 11 total (10 living):

Techno Mechanicus (nicknamed Tau)

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1