Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Imagine that you're just giving this speech to your best friend 1-on-1...no one else there...you're just reminding him/her why you are the guru of movies and you should be the go-to for all thoughts on drama...no biggie...

Close your eyes, take a breath before you start, and just talk to your best friend...if it helps, look very slightly above everyone's head, so you can keep imagining your friend as you look for him in the audience (this will let you seem to be talking to the whole audience and looking at them when you really aren't:)...

But remember, you've got this - if you can write as well as you do here, you can speak in front of someone on the same topic...it's just as simple as 1-2-3:)...believe you can do it and you can:)...

I always get way too nervous about screwing up a line. My professor doesn't want speaking notes to be full of lines that are word for word with what I'm saying (I got a couple of points docked off my last speech for that), so that's what's making me feel really pressured. Also, there's always a couple of people on their phones, which freaks me the fuck out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I always get way too nervous about screwing up a line. My professor doesn't want speaking notes to be full of lines that are word for word with what I'm saying (I got a couple of points docked off my last speech for that), so that's what's making me feel really pressured. Also, there's always a couple of people on their phones, which freaks me the fuck out.

Thus, why you're not looking at them:)...the trick to be slightly above the heads means you can ignore all their distracting stuff (if that tends to bother you:).

And I agree with the prof - word for word does sound really rehearsed - but having a "go-to" sentence for each point written down if you get flustered so you can get off the point is always a "nice to have" and should help you relax...

My spouse and I co-teach (really volunteer b/c no one pays us) a high school speech and debate team, so we've seen it all...most of the issues folks have are the thoughts and you've got those down...really, all you probably need is some confidence - have faith in yourself and just think "slow and steady wins the race" - that should help you breathe and slow down, even with nerves (I know I have to watch my nerves causing me to get higher-pitched, so I'm always thinking "low" - see even coaches have things to work on, and no one's ever perfect:)...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Practice in front of a mirror. 

• Like 1

When you see that the Deadpool 2 thread has turned into a dumpster fire and you can't be a part of it 

:apocalypse:

Also I think this Apocalypse emoji is gonna come in handy in a few months :circles:

I like this emoji too much so I'm gonna use it one more time :circles:

• Haha 1

Just now, Nova said:

When you see that the Deadpool 2 thread has turned into a dumpster fire and you can't be a part of it 

:apocalypse:

Also I think this Apocalypse emoji is gonna come in handy in a few months :circles:

I like this emoji too much so I'm gonna use it one more time :circles:

All that's missing is that Blake Lively stan (her one and only in the entire world probably) coming in telling everyone off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

All that's missing is that Blake Lively stan (her one and only in the entire world probably) coming in telling everyone off.

I think I remember that one. If I remember correctly based on convos I've had with them, that stan hates Ryan Reynolds and thinks he's a major flop. I'm sure that stan would be talking about divorce proceedings in the Deadpool 2 thread :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just watched running scared and it has some of the worst fake snow i've ever seen in a movie. it looked like shaving cream!

Paul Walker or Billy Crystal flavor?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

lol and the Deadpool 2 thread got locked. This is gonna end up becoming a common theme among every "blockbuster" title this year, isn't it?

i will be disappointed if i'm not personally responsible for the ready player one thread getting locked 4 times in the next 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol and the Deadpool 2 thread got locked. This is gonna end up becoming a common theme among every "blockbuster" title this year, isn't it?

Except for IW because Disney has that shit sealed up. Although if the reviews come out for it and they're not good, imagine the Deadpool 2 thread times a million. 

BOT won't last. It'll truly be the end of times. 

Just now, Nova said:

Except for IW because Disney has that shit sealed up. Although if the reviews come out for it and they're not good, imagine the Deadpool 2 thread times a million. 

BOT won't last. It'll truly be the end of times. 

And it feels like this shit's only been getting worse recently. Man, the shutdown of the IMDB forums sure allowed a bunch of toxic personalities to happen about this place.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And it feels like this shit's only been getting worse recently. Man, the shutdown of the IMDB forums sure allowed a bunch of toxic personalities to happen about this place.

I admit I added to the problem. I had a mini meltdown (or maybe it was a major one, I'm too embarrassed to go look at my posts) but yea I think the culture around the movies themselves has gotten a bit bunch. I'm kinda upset at myself for contributing to that culture in the last few days. Kinda wish the stuff that happens behind the scenes with these films, stayed that way until after the movies come out and people form their own opinions....similar to how Disney can keep their MCU films under wraps lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Maybe the goal should be to laud the poster who helps keep threads open?:)  You know, get a BOFFY nominee every year for "most boring, sensible poster," so folks could have an award to shoot for!  Nah, where's the fun in actual discussion on the internet...you know that doesn't ever happen!:)

• Like 1