Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

he already had a kid with the girl so you gotta KNOCK SOMEONE UP. be like chance not drake.

good idea; also it will let me save on condoms. what's the worst that could happen?

• Like 1

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Yeah, I really did some reflecting on it.  It was more of a habit to celebrate the day because everyone celebrates it.  

But if you say “I’m proud to be an American” does it mean proud currently, or proud from a heritage point of view are you saying proud view.

Im certainly not proud of my countries direction right now, so I can’t say “despite our past mistakes, I’m proud to be in my country for what it is now.”

And America’s background has too many black spots for me to even pretend I’m proud of our heritage.  Even in a moment in history where we were in the most right (WW2), we were still isolationist for the first half out of self-interest allowing the Germans to do more damage, we still unapologetically nuked 2 cities of civilians to force unconditional Japanese surrender and we still put the Japanese in internment camps.

While, i wouldn’t say America’s past is all bad.  We have bright spots, we certainly have never been heroes in history or any kind of city on a hill or any sort of pioneers of freedom.  We never have really been a land of opportunity, as that opportunity has often only been given to a privileged few.  

I also can’t say I’m proud of what America stands for, because the US has rarely been about liberty and justice for all, but liberty and justice for a privileged class.

The US isn’t nearly the greatest country in the world and it never has been.  And I don’t think the country as a whole is worth celebrating.

Even if you say the 4th of July is about celebrating our independence from the UK, could I even consider that entirely a good thing?  The UK is also flawed, true, but are we really any better than them?  I mean the entire war we fought wasn’t really about freedom, it was pretty much a group of radicals who were mad they had to pay taxes they didn’t vote for.

Ill honor/respect our individual military troops, because they conducting a service (even though I find our overall worship of war and the military disturbing).  I’ll acknowledge there are definitely some bright spots worth celebrating in our country.  

After thinking about it, I don’t think our country as a whole is worthy of fireworks celebrating it.

Okay wowa.

I'm certainly proud to be an American still. Am I proud currently? I'm not currently proud of our current policies and administration and I think they bring shame to America but I'm also proud of the idea of America: freedom, equality for all even if we are still fighting for these noble ideas within ourselves. 

By the way, the war was 100% about freedom. Yes, it started out as some people weren't happy they had to pay taxes they didn't vote for but by the end of the war, they absolutely believed in what they claimed they were fighting for. It's why it really didn't take that long for voting rights to expand to more and more men: the ideas those soldiers fought for took root in the nation and while racism and sexism was a barrier, those ideas have made tremendous progress.

Seriously, those "radicals" had a huge worldwide changing perspective change thanks to those taxes they were mad at and it I believe has changed the world for the better.

You can be cynical all you want. Just know that while you, who were born in this country, question if America is worth it, thousands of thousands of people are literally risking their lives, their families to cross a perilous desert just so they can have some of that opportunity you think doesn't exist. And with that opportunity they can provide for their families back home that are actually stuck having no opportunity.

My family has chosen the US over Mexico time and time and time again and even with Trump, we keep choosing to remain in America. We wouldn't do that if America was a sham.

• Like 3

I would totally be proud of being an American. I mean, have you guys looked at Best Buy? It is amazing, all those 4K UHDs... I am hard only to think about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I would totally be proud of being an American. I mean, have you guys looked at Best Buy? It is amazing, all those 4K UHDs... I am hard only to think about it.

I have not looked at Best Buy but I have looked at The Criterion Collection and fuck yes. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

leave no trace is great. even ben foster did not annoy me, but the girl who plays his daughter is the star wow she's an amazing find like jlaw in winter's bone though a 180 performance from that. debra granik should just pick all of our future leading ladies. 

who's my favourite film character of 2018? it's gotta be

5WG9mQt.png?1