Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

19 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

My friend is in town so I'm taking the day off and going up Niagara Falls. Finally going to Canada for the first time since moving up here!

I would stay to the falls, I would recommend Niagara on the Lake as well but best to go in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would stay to the falls, I would recommend Niagara on the Lake as well but best to go in the summer. 

yeah that is why I am skipping Niagara for the rest of the year.  I wanted to go in warmer weather during the summer, but the mom thing and other stuff at work kind of ruined those plans

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 75Live said:

yeah that is why I am skipping Niagara for the rest of the year.  I wanted to go in warmer weather during the summer, but the mom thing and other stuff at work kind of ruined those plans

I be honest unless your doing something winter related, I avoid travelling in the winter months in Canada. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I be honest unless your doing something winter related, I avoid travelling in the winter months in Canada. 

that was exactly my thought.  I love snow and winter but yeah not that much with what they get up there :P 

I prefer urban tourism in general. My feeling is rural areas are probably rural for a good reason and should be kept that way. If I want peace and serenity I can get that at Summit Metroparks or Cuyahoga Valley.

Next big trip I'm planning is DC/Baltimore/Philly in February by Amtrak. Also going to Detroit for a couple days at the end of the month because they have the traveling Science of Pixar exhibit.

Edited by tribefan695

41 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I prefer urban tourism in general. My feeling is rural areas are probably rural for a good reason and should be kept that way. If I want peace and serenity I can get that at Summit Metroparks or Cuyahoga Valley.

Next big trip I'm planning is DC/Baltimore/Philly in February by Amtrak. Also going to Detroit for a couple days at the end of the month because they have the traveling Science of Pixar exhibit.

Um National Parks in North America are a global treasure really and are visited by tens of millions each year. 

People talk crap about the States, but the National parks are amazing. 

I usually do urban and rural trips, line in 2015 I went to Monument Valley and Grand Canyon and went to Las Vegas after. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Um National Parks in North America are a global treasure really and are visited by tens of millions each year. 

Therein lies the problem

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/national-parks-overcrowding.html

Everyone wants to visit the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, and they're losing what made them so appealing in the first place. Cuyahoga Valley to its credit is still pretty nice.

22 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Therein lies the problem

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/national-parks-overcrowding.html

Everyone wants to visit the Grand Canyon and Yosemite, and they're losing what made them so appealing in the first place. Cuyahoga Valley to its credit is still pretty nice.

The issue is people are just travelling a lot more then they used to, especially young people.  

Go back 20-30 years ago, how many 20 somethings would visit Europe or go on 1-2 week vacations a year, now its seen as commonplace. 

Yeah, I agree they are crowded but frankly its because national parks are a cheap and enjoyable vacation and are so spectacularly beautiful. 

Drinking some beers beside my car with my cousin, while under the clear night sky in Joshua Tree national park blasting Hotel California was an amazing experience (I think I broke a law or two oh well) 

Edited by Lordmandeep

With Christopher Tolkien stepping down now, how fast do you guys think The Silmarillion rights will be sold? Considering reports surfacing that The Estate-Amazon thing is a follow up of Christopher deciding to quit, I bet the Estate will sell the rights in less than a year. If they asked 250m for the television rights to LOTR (apparently what WB had was only the movie rights; Tolkien never sold the TV rights), I am sure they will ask for another enormous amount of money and I bet any studio in Hollywood would be happy to oblige, since they can get a 10 movie series from that book. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is people are just travelling a lot more then they used to, especially young people.  

Go back 20-30 years ago, how many 20 somethings would visit Europe or go on 1-2 week vacations a year, now its seen as commonplace. 

Yeah, I agree they are crowded but frankly its because national parks are a cheap and enjoyable vacation and are so spectacularly beautiful. 

Drinking some beers beside my car with my cousin, while under the clear night sky in Joshua Tree national park blasting Hotel California was an amazing experience (I think I broke a law or two oh well) 

It's hard for me to imagine them being that cheap to visit if you live far away. Airfare and accommodations aside, you'd almost certainly have to rent a car; or spend even more than the airfare on gas, time traveling, and breakdown risk by bringing your own. But for me a place like New York or Chicago is just a Greyhound/Megabus away, and I could conceivably even manage a place like LA without a car if I kept my ambitions in check.

Edited by tribefan695

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's hard for me to imagine them being that cheap to visit if you live far away. Airfare and accommodations aside, you'd almost certainly have to rent a car; or spend even more than the airfare on gas, time traveling, and breakdown risk by bringing your own. But for me a place like New York or Chicago is just a Greyhound/Megabus away, and I could conceivably even manage a place like LA without a car if I kept my ambitions in check.

I have done it many times and frankly in the states, driving around is cheap and you can always stay in a cheap hotel or camp in the park really and a decent or large city is only a few hours away.